VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya! 😊

(first the compulsory introduction/history info with some pics)
Last week I was given for free an older pc that was running XP inside a humongous and heavy older Thermaltake tower... at first I was kinda meh about it, it turned out to be a p4 @2.4ghz, with an agp-pro mobo, 2x256MB DDR1/400 sticks and a GF4200ti/64MB ... so I left it sitting on the self...
Yesterday I decided to open it, remove the parts and maybe donate that heavy tower to someone locally... When I opened it I saw this (without the dedicated soundcard)

mmr5ky.jpg

25tdmy8.jpg

and some more info from cpu-z:

1zzmhyh.jpg

li74k.jpg

not bad 😊 , the mobo is a Gigabyte GA-8IK100 rev2.0 so I decided to install winME on it just for laughs and see if Severance: Blade of Vegenance was running smoothly on it... and ofcourse it did 😁

Now the test setup/testing process was VERY VERY breeze, I even used a sata HHD to install winME (setup BIOS to configure sata ports as IDE0) and all drivers installed fine without BSODs or surprises. It works fine after usage , gaming and benchmarking. (Only 2 days of testing though but still no probs yet). It even shutdowns/powers off normally without hdd's powering on/off or other shenanigans 😁

Did some 3Dmark2001se benchmarks following the recent trend:

GF4/4200ti/64MB/AGP4x: 9902
GF5/5700/256MB/AGP8x: 11033

As you can see the difference is small and I favor the 4200ti for now because the 5700 is a heavy aluminum brick with passive cooling that provides small performance increase.

Now I am seriously thinking to keep this machine (inside a normal tower and not a 15kg overclocking one with knobs for fans) for win9x D3D games that need more power than my tualatin+v5500 setup can provide. They should not necessarily be super-gfrx titles, but the p4 horsepower can make them run at 60fps or way more smoothly... (like severance for example)
And since my knowledge with older directx games and "modern" systems stops at the v5500 setup, I present you with the following questions:

a. is it worth to upgrade to anything faster than a GF4 gpu? I can get a GF6/7 agp from eBay but would there be a point? (if something needs a 6/7 then it is probably too modern for win9x and I can run in on my main pc which has a 560ti) Also keep in mind I am an nVidia fan ,if possible I would like to use an nv card here unless there is a good reason not too.

b. Following the above q, is there a top-level vga that beyond that some things break for DX7/8 games?

c. As you can see the current cpu is a HT one, I remember vaguely reading here that it causes probs to older titles, is this true? (there is an option in BIOS to disable HT, does it fixes any probs that might exist?)

Sorry for the long post, all advice/info would be greatly appreciated 😀 , thanks!

edit: here's a stock pic of the tower it came with, looks like this, full tower and with a fan on the top too... that drive door alone must weight 1+ kg alone!

n3rsig.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see the first 3 pics though 🙁
Edit:Nvm, they work now after a refresh

Edit2:To try and answer your questions partially, this rig kinda screams for XP along with a couple upgrades 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

😁
thing is Tetrium that I don't want an XP machine, just something with more juice to run older 9x games that due to programming (I guess) don't really behave nice and can benefit from a fast system.... (or it could even be that I am waisting my time on this logic 🤣 but still I wanna use it for win9x 😜 )

TombRaiders, Unreal engine stuff, the Quake2/3 engine stuff and the odd title should really fly on this machine even on higher resolutions...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Throw a Radeon 9500 in there, it'll fit the cpu fine (expect around 13000 marks in 3dm01), and not suck at shader model 2 and the odd directdraw / paletted game here and there. (Geforces are notorious for palette slowdown)

Disabling Hyperthreading's a good idea, keyword in that term is hype, it's been nothing but that to me, even on today's intel cpus which seems to cause more problems than its worth

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce 7 doesn't have 9x drivers so if you want to upgrade, a GF 6800 Ultra is as far as you can go with it.

ATi doesn't have drivers for 9x after the 9800XT so you're better off going with green if you will be using 9x.

Last edited by sliderider on 2012-01-23, 18:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 15, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dude, you have to be kidding me. I built the exact same system (ok not the exact SAME motherboard!) after that Athlon XP holocaust. I'm now dual booting happily between ME and XP, but Ti4200 was a bit limiting for my needs, so I plugged in a 6600GT.
One bad motha...
Runs EVERYTHING I've thrown at it, extremely well. Old games look just fine too, just like they would on a Voodoo 3 (which I also have in there for those pesky Glide exclusives and generally games that won't work well on newer cards).
Heck, even DOS VESA games work like charm. I could never get Mechwarrior 2 to run at SVGA on my Voodoo 3 and 5, but with the 6600gt (and the Ti4200 I should note), it works 1024x768 flawlessly.
I'd definetely install the 6600GT in your PC as well, you'll be able to run everything, quite a tad faster than a Ti 4200 too. The only game I've encountered that HT broke, was an old Adventure called, Post Mortem, but there was a patch for that.
Leilei, are you sure that 9xxx ATI cards don't break DX 7 and 8 games? I remember swayee saying that these cards generally cause problems with such games.

Reply 8 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Leilei, are you sure that 9xxx ATI cards don't break DX 7 and 8 games? I remember swayee saying that these cards generally cause problems with such games.

I know they'll break older table fog games, only ones off the top of my head that are, are 1997-99 Lucasarts titles

not to mention the lack of paletted texturing (No Radeon has it), but paletted textures are more of a 3dfx exclusive feature that has minor support in the GeforceFX.

I've suggested R300 because it's what i've used in a similar system and i've had better driver luck with that in 9X than a Geforce5-6. post-2004 9x Geforce drivers regress a lot of games, even the DirectX 8.1 ones like UT2004 will get their polys stretching all over the place and textures mismatched. This is specifically in Win9x though, in XP/2K it's fine

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for all the brainstorming, I will consider my options and test stuff 😀
For now since I do have the 4200ti installed, is there a forceware version that is recommended?

Reply 11 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

really? that old? I just grabbed 81.98 fron nv....

edit: I did some reading on HT ... it is best to be disabled in anything lower than XP (even win2000) since XP is the first MS OS that actually uses it correctly...

Reply 12 of 15, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're going to use Win Me, and mainly just play games released up till about 2003 or so, then 45.23 is one of the better drivers from back then for Geforce 4 and prior. A latter released driver from near the end of ME support is not going to be as spot on performance wise, as they were more concerned about fixing bugs and performance for current selling games and cards, not ones from 2003 and prior. Honestly for Windows me, I'd not even considering going past a Radeon 9700 type card either. A GF 4 would be fine too over all. Past that and you might as well be running later generation titles and XP, otherwise its a waste in GPU power.

Reply 13 of 15, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That could be turned into a godly P4 Win XP rig. And as I have a penchant for big, ol' heavy tower cases, I'd keep the case too. But I digress.

Win ME and ol' games, I'd just keep the 4200Ti. I run my GF3 Ti 200 with Win98SE using 27.xx drivers. On my Win XP P4, I use 57.xx drivers with a 4600Ti. Nothing newer- it affects performance and compatibility.

Reply 14 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for the extra clarifications , will search for 45.23 😀

Reply 15 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

awesome update:
installed 45.23 as recommended, disabled HT in BIOS and now I get this score:

2uf7peb.jpg

not bad... 😁 , thanks for the tip 😊