VOGONS

First post, by lnouvo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to work on a 600 Ko FRAMEWORK III file, but I cannot upload it and I get the error message "not enough memory for operation;delete or put away some documents" instead.
What should I do to get it?

The more I learn, the more I discover my ignorance (french artist Jean GABIN)

Reply 1 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Is it just me that doesn't get what the op is talking about or does he really make littlesense?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 12, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

who knows... he could be a spammer and forgot to put his links in. Or maybe he's running framework III and is being told he has run out of memory when he tries to load a 600kb file. Either way he needs to give more info.

Reply 3 of 12, by lnouvo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. Here are some more infos.
I’m used to work with FRAMEWORK III for my job and at home since 1990, and developed rather much spreadsheets and data bases. I always had the same PC at home with DOS 6.22, Windows 3.11, and several other DOS programs. Even though I’m retired for 20 years now, I still use the same old PC, because I developed personal programs for my own service, such as private bank accounts follow up, local inside/outside temperature and météo follow up, wooden roof frame calculation, … aso, which I’m still working with, some on a daily base as, for instance, my agenda, my money and my cars mileage. Several programs use 500, 600 Ko files. Everything is on 3 ½ HD discs.
My concern now comes with my old PC aging.
Last summer, my HD crashed, and thanks to my disk copies, I’ve quite recovered my entire job now. But I fear for another HD crash, and would like to transfer everything on my other PC with XP Home installed on.
That’s why I tried DOSBOX.
I tested 45 Ko files spreadsheets OK. But 600 Ko files failed.
I can’t put all that in the title of this thread, and summarised it as impossible heavy files uploading.
I keep waiting for your instructions.

The more I learn, the more I discover my ignorance (french artist Jean GABIN)

Reply 4 of 12, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DosBox is only for games.

DOSBox IS NOT SUITED TO RUN YOUR NON-GAMING DOS APPLICATION

You need to look into some sort of virtual machine like VMWare Workstation or Microsoft Virtual PC

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 7 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Really wow...
1st if you are concerned with possible hd crashes there is a simple solution: BACKUPS!!! DAILY!!!

And next thing to keep in mind when posting in a forum, be precise, the subject is only there for a very brief summary. Put everything else in the body. Post in the CORRECT subforum. Why post to the system specs forum? Also get down with the correct words for whatever your problem is. Ko? What's that supposed to be? Kilobytes?
And yes, Dosbox is for games only.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 12, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Ko? What's that supposed to be? Kilobytes?

The French language uses the word 'octet' for byte, so Kilobyte (KB) becomes Kilo-octet (Ko) and so on. Disclaimer: I don't speak French. 🙄

That's pretty much the only thing I could understand from what the OP wrote 🤣

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 9 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ahhh, I see. French with their obsession to use french words whenever possible for english words.

Reply 11 of 12, by McMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gee, friendly bunch here 😜

Chances are his program *does* work in DOSBox and he just needs to free up more conventional memory or something. He says the small files work fine and it's only the 600kB and larger files that fail.

This might help you, Mr. French:

http://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Main_Page

Last edited by McMick on 2012-02-07, 06:35. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 12 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Friendly enough when people meet netiquette and use common sense...