VOGONS

First post, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys, this is my first thread here, hope I don't screw anything up too bad 🤣. I like talking about hardware so this might be pretty lengthy...

This is a "retro" (I know it's not super old) PC I built recently with the intent of being more or less accurate for a build from late 2004. The computer started out as an HP, and was used and abused as a workstation at the radio station I work at (it may have had a prior life, as I think it predates the station, and I know they started out using donated PCs).

It was given to me a few years ago when they upgraded. At the time, I figured it was just another cruddy prebuilt P4 system, and not anything special. I threw my old PCI Radeon X1550 (coincidently, my first GPU) into it along with a really nice 500GB Western Digital Blue IDE drive that my dad had bought, decided he didn't need, and gave to me. I used this machine along with Mythbuntu as a media machine for my room (since I only have a standard definition CRT in my room, it was powerful enough).

Eventually, the machine stopped working; I assumed the motherboard was bad and let it sit for awhile. About a month or two ago, I discovered it was actually my poor old X1550 that was bad when I tried to use it in another machine, so I decided to give this P4 another look. When I cracked it open I was surprised by the quality of the parts in it. When I get a prebuilt Pentium 4 machine, I'm used to seeing a motherboard that's lacking for features, with 2 RAM slots (sometimes not even DDR), a few PCI slots, and often not even any AGP. They usually have tiny little CPU coolers and a small amount of no-name RAM. That's why I was so impressed by what HP put in this box: it's got a nice Asus motherboard that not only has 4 DDR slots and AGP 8x, it even has SATA! Never seen a 478 system with SATA before. It's got a nice big CoolerMaster heatsink, and it had 1.5GB of RAM (obviously some was added by some previous owner). I took out the 2 256MB DIMMS for another machine, and was left with 2 nice 512MB sticks of PC2700, that even have cool silver heatsinks on them.

After seeing the nicely-featured motherboard, the cool RAM, and rediscovering that this was in fact a 2.6GHz HT Northwood and not some crappy Willamette like my other P4s, I decided to make a retro gaming rig out of it. I threw in my Audigy 2 ZS and a very nice 400W Corsair power supply that I had previously thought was dead (pulled it from my dad's system thinking it was bad and got a new one; turned out the same problem popped up later and there was some dust in the RAM slot. The fact that it worked when I changed the PSU was a coincidence, and as a result I had an extra PSU). Then I bought a 128MB 6600GT AGP card from eBay (with the silly Doom 3 artwork on it 😁) and a nice new CoolerMaster Elite 311 from Newegg to replace the ugly HP case. I put Windows XP Home SP3 on it (fortunately I was able to use the OEM key from the original case), and now it's all set. Here's the full spec list:

Serenity:
2.6GHz Pentium 4 HT Northwood
Asus P4SD-LA "Stingray"
2x512MB PC2700 DDR
XFX GeForce 6600GT 128MB AGP
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
500GB IDE Western Digital Caviar Blue
Generic Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive
Generic Black 3.5" Floppy Drive
Generic Multicard Reader
Corsair 400CX PSU
Cooler Master Elite 311 Silver
Windows XP Home SP3

From what I recall from my research, the HT Northwoods came out in 2003, and the 6600GT came out in very late 2004, so other than the hard drive and case, I think this is a reasonable representation of a mid-level gaming machine somebody might have built in late 2004 or early 2005. So far I've run Halo PC on it which runs excellent (I love that game; my first FPS, first online game, and loads of nostalgic memories with it), and I've also played some Half-Life 2 on it. HL2 doesn't run as well as I'd like, probably because since they updated all the old Source games to the Orange Box version of the engine, they don't run nearly as well on old hardware. Still, with DirectX 8.1 mode, low-medium settings, and 1024x768, I get good enough FPS to play it. Dips into the 30s sometimes, which I'm not used to given my current machine, but it's definitely playable (and back when I played through the entire Orange Box on my trusty old X1550 and the 3.0GHz HT Northwood in the family PC, I had worse FPS). I won't be playing CSS on it though since I do need solid FPS in that game.

Overall I've been having fun with it, and pretty soon I'm probably going to do full playthroughs of Halo's singleplayer and Half-Life 2. Enough of my babbling, you guys probably want to see a few pics right? I had fun cable managing this guy, although I got it super nice and then realized that there was no way I could get the side panel on. I made it slightly more messy, and now it goes on well enough, though there is some slight bulging, but it's not my main PC so who cares.

qS25Ls.jpguDUD9s.jpg7Z33Us.jpg

By the way, the white Gateway peeking in on the left in the last pic is David, one of 4 3DFX powered rigs I built recently. I'll get around to making a thread about them, eventually...

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 1 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice find! I just love to discover that stuff once thought as crap are actually good parts 🤣

I was recently donated a 2.4 northwood machine with a very nice gigabyte mobo (agp-pro and sata 🤣) and made it a win9x machine with a 6800GT

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 17, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

Nice find! I just love to discover that stuff once thought as crap are actually good parts 🤣

I was recently donated a 2.4 northwood machine with a very nice gigabyte mobo (agp-pro and sata 🤣) and made it a win9x machine with a 6800GT

I remember your thread 😀 That was a cool machine. Yeah it's always neat finding new uses for old stuff. I've been doing a lot of that lately and have been having a lot of fun with it. There's just something about older hardware... something that makes most people think we're insane for messing with it 🤣

Reply 3 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice machine. Very clean and neat as well 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 yeah most ppl think we are insane indeed, but who cares? as long they donate their "useless junk" I am happy 🤣
but on a more serious note, it's just a hobby and as insane as stamps collecting for example in my view... whatever floats your boat as they say 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 17, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great build, I love your cable management! 😀

On the topic of P4's, I've almost amassed the right bits to build a new system:

s478 P4 2.8GHz HT
Asus P4P800
Radeon 9800XT
1GB DDR-400

Need to find a case and some drives for it now...

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 17, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice system! I'm using something similar, a Pentium 4 3.2 with 1GB Ram and a 6600GT for everything from 2005-2006 and backwards. It allows me to play old games on a CRT monitor and also play some nice games in a LAN in the future, when I'll have more free time 😜
Athlon XPs are great CPUs, too bad every motherboard I've tried is faulty for one reason or the other.

Reply 7 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I completely missed the p4 era since I was using Athlons and AthlonsXP at the time... the reason I am not using them today is because they need a good cooler and all I have are VERY noisy. The 2 good coolers I have atm are both s478 so it was an easy choice to make... not to mention the lack of a good athlon mobo, the last one I thought was OK turned out dead (one of those F2bnp mentions)

Reply 8 of 17, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same here, though I used P3s for a very long time and then boom! straight to s939, completely missing the P4 era. When I first started playing with P4s I did so as a bit of a joke, but turns out I was very pleasantly surprised.

Reply 9 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMHO anything that needs a 2nd core is not retro enough 🤣 might as well use a core2duo/quad based machine (for this reason I am not going to ever give my Q9300/Asus P5Q machine, investing in the future 🤣)
The cooler I have on my p4 is pretty much silent all the time... the fan is constant running at 1200rpm , IIRC it's ~100mm ... max temp I've seen in 45 degrees, it can go lower but it means that the fan must to to 2000rpm

Reply 11 of 17, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the kind words guys 😀 I agree Netburst is pretty poor compared to the Athlon XPs and A64s, but they're still okay little chips. I've never actually had an XP, but I just emailed a guy on Craigslist who's selling one with a motherboard and a Ti-4400; hopefully he still has them. It'd be a cool companion to this guy (I'd probably swap the videocards between them). As for the Athlon64, I love those chips. Never had a single-core one, but the X2 in my sig still gets used everyday for torrents, servers, testing out programs, all my programming homework, as well as being the system I take to other peoples' houses (when I'm not too lazy that is). In fact, it would (and has once before) be just fine for me if both my main rigs took a dump suddenly.

I'm getting really off topic, but I've actually got 2 separate Socket 939 builds planned and am slowly gathering parts for them. Always wanted a 939 rig. One's basically an ultimate single-core A64 from 2005 (FX-55, RAID0 Raptors, 6800GT SLI), and the other is basically my idea of upgrading 939 to the max: dual-core CPU, 4GB RAM, and my good old 9600GSO. Gonna be awhile until I get all the parts for them both, but when I do, oh boy 😁

Reply 13 of 17, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still use my Asus P4P800 SE/P4 3.0E/2 Gb RAM/Radeon X850 PE/dualboot XpPro Sp3 and ME as the everyday PC...
The cooler is Zalman CNPS9500 Led, by the way.

Reply 15 of 17, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

Nice machine with good components. I like the Northwoods - they're cool and also cool. 😁

😁 Yeah, this guy runs quite cool. I haven't gotten a temp monitor to work in Windows on it yet, though I've only tried CoreTemp so far (did Pentium 4s have thermal sensors? I feel like they did but it's been awhile...), but the motherboard BIOS says it's idling in the low 30s, so that's pretty good I think.

Gamecollector wrote:

I still use my Asus P4P800 SE/P4 3.0E/2 Gb RAM/Radeon X850 PE/dualboot XpPro Sp3 and ME as the everyday PC...
The cooler is Zalman CNPS9500 Led, by the way.

As long as you keep them fairly clean, they're still quite useable as modern workstations. Personally a P4 would be a bit too slow for me to be comfortable with as my everyday machine, but honestly I bet I could get by with a single-core A64 if I had to (I know from experience I can with a dual-core A64). Also, I have a 9500 as well. I ran it on the Core 2 rig in my sig before I got an H70 for it. It isn't being used right now, but I intend to reuse it for the dual-core 939 machine I'm planning. Good little cooler.

swaaye wrote:

/moderator mode

I've purged a lot of ridiculousness out of this thread. Lets progress as adults from here on. Thanks!

Thanks. Never meant for my thread to spawn an argument like that 🙁

Reply 17 of 17, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jaqie wrote:

speedfan should work to monitor the northwood.

Thanks, Speedfan worked like a charm! My basement is really cold and the machine hasn't been on in a few days, so if Remote 1 is the CPU as I suspect, it was 26C after booting. Ran SuperPi to 1M and it got up to 33C, and after playing some Halo PC multiplayer for awhile, it was 39C immediately after quitting.

Also, Speedfan lets me monitor the temp on my GPU's sensor without having to reflash it 😁 Some 6600GTs had temp monitoring enabled in the BIOS and some (including mine) didn't, so to monitor it with, say, GPU-Z, I'd have to flash to a different BIOS version.

Screenshot while running SuperPi (this was just to stress the CPU; otherwise I wouldn't have had Steam running):
EWLDDs.png