VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After searching, in vain, for a good beige case, I decided to "convert" one myself :

The Chassis is a Cooler Master Elte.

Original picture :

6817224628_5e6226b097_z.jpg

After the (amateur-ish) paint job :

6963244833_d6dc56d4c3_b.jpg

6963263189_fae6bbb2b6_b.jpg

Used the spray colour code named "Royal Ivory". Plus a Dark Green spray for the front air inlet pore-plate.

Inside :

6963261363_8d81fcf74f_b.jpg

6963260645_724243eb6f_b.jpg

The CPU is an Unlocked variety :

6817140906_f7a918b209_z.jpg

The BIOS screen showing the jumperless CPU settings :

6963246845_fcd0079479_b.jpg

6963259949_b5396e65fc_b.jpg

The multipler can go down to 1.5, but unfortunately with this CPU, I can only set upto 2x multiplier - unable to change the 100FSB to 66MHZ FSB. The result is 200MHZ (100MHz FSB x 2.0).

Seen a Pentium II 200MHz before? 😁

6817141264_52df6b3346_b.jpg

The full multiplier range is 1.5x - 7.5x.

Full System Specs :

AOpen AX6B Motherboard - i440BX chipset-based :

6817202182_89eb050d13.jpg

Pentium II 400MHz SL2S7 - unlocked CPU.
512MB PC-100 SDRAM
Creative 3D Blaster Riva TNT2 32MB AGP
Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo2 x2 12MB SLI
Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum
Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold with 8MB Memory Module
MusicQuest PC MIDI Card - connected to CM-500
120GB Maxtor HDD
1.44MB FDD
TEAC CD56E 6X CD-ROM Drive
Lite-ON DVD+RW RAM Drive
MS-DOS 6.22 in own partition
Windows 95 OSR2 in own partition

Windows 95c audio output is Digital via the Live! Drive.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 34, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This board supports FSB tweaking from 66MHz - 133MHz. Just that I coudn't access the 66MHz MHz with this CPU. I need to somehow "unlock" the 66MHz on this, or use a 66MHz FSB CPU to access the 1.5 & 2 x 66MHz. If I can use an unlocked 66MHz FSB CPU, I can bring it down to 100MHz. (66 x 1.5).

Reply 6 of 34, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very, very nice! A couple of things:

1) I think that CPU is not truly unlocked, as in it has a high cutoff for the multi, like the newer core 2 series does. I could be wrong here, my memory is getting worse and worse lately, but from memory those cpus were locked in that way, and if so that means they are not considered unlocked by the industry.
2) Those CPUs cpu-world link are 24.3W TDP and 32.73W max, be careful about it overheating, that heatsink is huge and wide-finned but it is not oriented properly for chimney-style passive cooling. If you value the long term reliability of that cpu you may want to add a fan to that heatsink or replace it with an actively cooled one.

3) I'm wondering why you chose such a modern looking case? It's simply confusing me that you went to all the trouble to make it era-colored, but then went with a modern case, though I totally understand the window. The sleeved PSU wires are also confusing me. Did you just want the era color but modern looks otherwise? It does look incredible like that, don't get me wrong, but I'm confused as to your aims with it, that's all.

4) Absolutely wonderful amazing build! I am getting parts right now for my own late p2 build.

Reply 7 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ regarding #3 , I assume Malik had a hard time finding a good older case. I cannot find good ones here (those I find are often scratched to death or have some parts missing or are just horrible) ... I usually end up using some plain looking black midi tower for my atx-compatible projects and just use the machine... you can't have all anymore 🙁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 34, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

^ regarding #3 , I assume Malik had a hard time finding a good older case . . . . I usually end up using some plain looking black midi tower for my atx-compatible projects and just use the machine... you can't have all anymore 🙁

That's kinda my point, instead of a plain era looking black case, he chose a modern looking one, and that's got me confused.

Also, I think it's called mid tower, not midi tower. 😀

Reply 10 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jaqie wrote:

[...]

Also, I think it's called mid tower, not midi tower. 😀

nope... "mid" is new-age stuff (how do you call a mini one? min tower? 🤣), midi is the proper term.
At least here every store that respects itself and was not founded 1 year ago has the proper term:

http://www.plaisio.gr/Computers/Hardware/PC-Cases.htm
http://www.e-shop.gr/PER_cases.phtml
http://www.you.gr/b2c_iqshop/catalog/categori … =&ZCASES_COLOR=
etc etc etc...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 34, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, you guys are right. It's difficult to get a "nice" period-related case nowadays - (everyone is going googoo-gaga over new casings) and secondly, it's very easy to get these new-type cases.

One of the main reasons I wanted to get a modern casing - is the cooling factor. This baby has openings at all the sides - top, bottom, back, front and right (only the left - the motherboard base side) is devoid of the airway pores.

Behind the front green air-pore-plate-thingy is a 140mm fan.

There's a 120mm fan blowing into the system from the plastic window. Another fan is blowing from the top, into the system (can see the green light from the pores on top, at the second picture).

I bought these fans. And added the resistors to ALL fan connectors - for extreme quietness.

The only fan that came with this casing is the hind casing 120mm fan - which defaults at blowing the air OUT. Added a resistor to this too.

I wanted to fix another 120mm fan on the top part, behind the first opening - just above the CPU, but this CPU-heatsink is HUGE!! It's almost touching the "ceiling".

The PSU was an "extra" and unused - chose it because it has the -5v rail, even though it's a modern 500W PSU.

Yes, Robin4, I'm not good at painting. Just an amateur work. Actually the front panel borders - I sprayed them with green too - vbut didn't like it. I resprayed the royal ivory and was too lazy to coat the 3rd time.

Besides, it's only the flash of the camera which brought out the contrast. Otherwise, it's not noticable. Maybe if I have more time, I'll re-coat it.

And yes, I'm not being period-specific. All I wanted was a beige case. I really miss the colour - so, "resurrected" it. Heheh..

And having the transparent side panel allows me to look at the Voodoo2 SLI and AWE64 Gold in action, while, say, when a game is loading a level, etc. 😁

I don't mind going for a modern case - the number one reason being better ventilation.

(I need to mod my AT casing to provide airflow from it's side - it's getting hot, especially when I'm using the AMD K6-II 550.)

Last edited by Malik on 2012-03-08, 16:21. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13 of 34, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
nope... "mid" is new-age stuff (how do you call a mini one? min tower? LOL), midi is the proper term. At least here every store […]
Show full quote
jaqie wrote:

[...]

Also, I think it's called mid tower, not midi tower. :)

nope... "mid" is new-age stuff (how do you call a mini one? min tower? LOL), midi is the proper term.
At least here every store that respects itself and was not founded 1 year ago has the proper term:

http://www.plaisio.gr/Computers/Hardware/PC-Cases.htm
http://www.e-shop.gr/PER_cases.phtml
http://www.you.gr/b2c_iqshop/catalog/categori … =&ZCASES_COLOR=
etc etc etc...

This is a quote from another thread which may explain the disagreement about the term "midi" being used to describe your case.

MIDI defines an electrical interface (e.g. opto-isolated inputs), an encoding scheme (e.g. baud rate, start/stop bits), and a data protocol (e.g. 90 3C 40 = Note C on) for transferring musical notes between instruments and other devices.

history of MIDI in earlier games?

I am not trying to start an argument, just pointing this out.

Reply 14 of 34, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bet it's a regional thing. Keropi's located in Greece, as are the sites he linked to, so I'd assume that's the term for them over there, whereas in the US it's mid-tower.

Anyways that's a really nice build mate. Can't blame you for going with a new case; cooling really is so much better with them, and if you don't have connections or work at a recycling place it can be pretty hard to find decent old-style cases.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 15 of 34, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the case myself, and it's a great build overall. You could get the case stripped and powder coated the color you want and it would look way better, but that's kind of expensive to do. Personally I like newer cases, they have more space in them, better aesthetics and better air flow. I'm rather tired of the classic Antec/Chieftech look myself, I always thought those cases were ugly as sin 😁

You might try an ASUS P3B-F motherboard (if you can find one), you can force the bus to 66 mhz on those with just dip switch settings. I don't think you can adjust it via BIOS however... but I might be wrong as it's been a long time since I had a system built on that board, but I do remember it being a great board for tweaking.

I'm jealous of your voodoo's! 😁

Reply 16 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks tannerstevo, I believe everyone here knows what midi means in music stuff...

continuing the OT "midi tower" discussions, do a google search for "midi tower atw" and you will see :d
it's also an Australian thing: http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/info/PC-60FNB/1242/
enermax in UK thinks the same: http://www.enermax.co.uk/products/cases.html? … 0d2fbaa1077d0d2
the Germans seem to agree as well: http://www.ciao.de/sr/q-atx+midi+tower+black
the Russians enjoy the extra "i" too: http://trinity-design.com/ru/price_new_comp.html
... and check out the drop-down menu of my favorite case maker: http://www.chieftec.eu/en/component/content/

maybe "mid" is regional 😁 😁 😵 😵 😁 😁

Reply 18 of 34, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Always good too see a Downclocked P-II 😀. I also bought a Aopen mainboard for that purpose 3 years ago. It was the AX6BC with two instead of 3 ISA slots. I chose it for the 1.5x multiplier, but that multiplier is more like an Aopen joke because it is not documented and used by Intel. Nice boards otherwise, especially the one you have there.
I also encountered the drawback were you cannot downclock the FSB from the processor default on an AOpen mainboard, and remember soldering something from or to the slot 1 CPU, to make 66 MHz the default.
Worth noting is the non-functioning L2 cache at multiplier 2x and 2.5x on the Pentium-II, but for retro gaming that will not matter that much, a speed penalty of about 1/4th.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul