VOGONS

First post, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Greetings everyone, new poster here (but long-time lurker 😀 ).

In short, I'm a middle-aged guy who is finally placing the finishing touches to the gaming rig he only dreamed of having in his younger years. The sole purpose is to have a classic computer that can run mostly 90's games, both DOS and Windows, and do so with 3 requirements in mind: stability, reliability, and dependability.

So far, this is the system I have right now:

Asus TX97-XE Socket 7 ATX Mobo
Pentium 166MMX CPU
64MB FPM RAM (four 16MB 72-pin SIMM modules)
3.24Gb Fujitsu & 4.31Gb Seagate hard drives
Lite-On 32x IDE cd-rom
Iomega ZIP-100 atapi drive
Generic 3.5 floppy drive
Matrox Millennium II 4MB PCI video card
3dfx Voodoo 2 12MB PCI 3D card
SMC 1211-series PCI network card
SB Pro 2 sound card
GUS ACE sound card
Yamaha SW60XG MIDI card
Generic 300-watt ATX power supply
Gravis Gamepad Pro
Generic PS2 mouse & keyboard
Generic ATX Mid-tower case

After a lot of trial & error, this setup has come the closest to fulfill my needs. Just about all the games I have tried worked flawlessly; those that don't or won't will be looked at more closely to determine what changes, if any, have to be done to realize my dream.

All in all, this has been quite a journey (which started back in 2006!) and a great way to relearn & remember everything I used to know back in my late 20's-early 30's. And finding this forum in early 2008 has helped me a lot as well. I'm sure I will reach my goal - and have the gaming system I always wanted to have back then. 😎

UPDATE 1: Changes done on 11/13
-FPM RAM replaced with EDO (same amount as before)
-Lite-On CD-ROM replaced with Plextor PX-W2410A CD-RW
-5.25 floppy drive added
-New CPU cooler
-Bigger ATX case (Antec KS-288 Valueline Series)
-Network card removed
Also corrected some minor errors and omissions

UPDATE 2: Changes done on 2/14
-Old power supply replaced with new StarTech 300-watt unit
-Fujitsu hard drive replaced with Western Digital Caviar 4.31Gb hard drive

FINAL UPDATE: Changes done on 5/14
-finished testing additional hardware & software
-improved cable management
-final configuration is as follows:

Asus TX97-XE Socket 7 ATX Mobo
Pentium 166MMX CPU
Generic Socket 7 CPU cooler
64MB EDO RAM (four 16MB 72-pin SIMM modules)
4.31Gb Western Digital & Seagate hard drives
Plextor PX-W2410A IDE CD-RW
Iomega ZIP-100 atapi drive
Generic 3.5 & 5.25 floppy drives
Matrox Millennium II 4MB PCI video card
3dfx Voodoo 2 12MB PCI 3D card
SB Pro 2 (CT1600) sound card
GUS ACE (Version 1.0) sound card
Yamaha SW60XG MIDI card
StarTech 300-watt ATX power supply
Gravis Gamepad Pro
Microsoft USB/PS2 mouse
Generic PS2 keyboard
Antec KS-288 Valueline Series ATX Mid-tower case

ADDENDUM:
-replaced Matrox Millennium II 4MB PCI with Graphics Blaster Riva TNT 16MB PCI (10/14)
-replaced 3dfx Voodoo 2 12MB PCI with Diamond Monster 3D 4MB PCI (3dfx Voodoo 1) (12/14)
-added case badges to Antec KS-288 (4/15)
-build finalized and closed on 2/15/16; no more updates will be posted

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2016-02-15, 23:32. Edited 4 times in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 1 of 36, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome.

Congratulations for achieving the desired results! It's good that you found a way to enjoy what you want. Keep sharing those experiences.

Reply 2 of 36, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Thank you, sprcorreia. It was indeed quite an experience.

Many a time I felt so frustrated and confused that I wanted to just quit, but instead I took a break and left it alone while I did other things. After a while, I went back to continue and move forward again. The perseverance eventually paid off - and the result is quite satisfying.

I'll try and post some pictures when I have a chance.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 6 of 36, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

ncmark:

Let me find out the Seagate model number and I'll post it here. And the pictures are coming!

SquallStrife:

I used the FPM SIMMS because is what I had available already. I don't have any EDO SIMMS or PC66 DIMMS, and also tried two 32MB PC100 DIMMS but the mobo refused to start (and I didn't want to push my luck at the time). I am open to suggestions, however.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 8 of 36, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Here's the info you wanted, ncmark:

Seagate Medalist 4321, model number ST34321A, date code 9921

And now, the pics!

(just two things, though. I'm a lousy photographer, so the pictures came out looking dull and dark; I'll practice some more to try and improve. Also, please excuse my dust; I've been neglectful and haven't done a proper cleanup for quite a while)

xF31q.jpg

J1Pmc.jpg

I6wyk.jpg

pbgDE.jpg

ciNOj.jpg

05dmW.jpg

CaVny.jpg

reT57.jpg

0BTTY.jpg

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 10 of 36, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I decided to edit some of the pics in order to make them much clearer; unfortunately, the quality took a real nosedive (but at least everyone can see what I was trying to show in them - mainly the mobo 😁 ).

I also added a generic pic of the mobo I found sometime ago; it's practically identical to what I have.

7l8Ze.jpg

7c8mq.jpg

q0Hxb.jpg

zqozZ.jpg

5scIo.jpg

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 11 of 36, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is definitely a different Seagate model than the one I have, even though the capacity is the same. I got mine right after Seagate took over Conner, and I think mine is a re-badged Conner. Yours looks like a "real" Seagate 😁

Two drives.... is that one for DOS and one for Windows? What version of Windows are you going to run?

Nice board!

Reply 12 of 36, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not bad at all and for the sound cards /drool 😮
Got both of those drives and the cooler well the fan any way but somehow lost the block 😒

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13 of 36, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
ncmark wrote:

That is definitely a different Seagate model than the one I have, even though the capacity is the same. I got mine right after Seagate took over Conner, and I think mine is a re-badged Conner. Yours looks like a "real" Seagate 😁

Two drives.... is that one for DOS and one for Windows? What version of Windows are you going to run?

Nice board!

It could very well be, ncmark. I purchased both drives back in early 2001 at a local computer show, and the seller told me the Seagate was the real deal, not a re-branded Conner. The manufacture code date seems to indicate that, as well.

As for the OS, the Fujitsu will have two partitions - one with Windows 95A and DOS 6.2 in a dual-boot configuration, the other with Windows and DOS games; the Seagate will also have two partitions - one with apps, utilities, and various other "interesting" items, the other will just be for data storage in general. All partitions will be 16-bit only. This will somewhat replicate the kind of setup I was running back in the mid to late 90's, before I upgraded to new computer hardware and Windows 98 SE in 2000.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 14 of 36, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I have the 6.4 Gb version of that same drive. I got it new, but it never saw much use because I quickly went on to bigger drives. It is currently sitting in a DOS machine...

I was kind of bent out of shape about the takeover at the time, but the Seagate drives were really better. The 4.3 Gb I have spins at only 4500 RPM; the 6.4 Gb drive is ATA 33 and spins at 5400 RPM.

Reply 16 of 36, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Since it's been well over a year by now, I decided to post the recent changes that I have done to my P166MMX:

-FPM RAM replaced with EDO (same amount as before)
-Lite-On CD-ROM replaced with Plextor PX-W2410A CD-RW
-5.25 floppy drive added
-New CPU cooler
-Bigger ATX case
-Network card removed

All the new stuff came courtesy of my sister's husband, who was about to simply give them away to a scrapper; I gladly took them off his hands. The network card was dropped simply because it wasn't used at all (but can be added again if needed).

Finally, some new pics I took with a brand new camera (the old one simply keeled over and died); hopefully more will be added later:

TqSdyk2l.png VZ42759l.png

vlU5rVBl.png JyOz8cBl.png

78HVHBel.png H8wUhqAl.png

ihCodAOl.png M7Y0IsPl.png

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 19 of 36, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

Nice one. Might want to consider a S3 Trio instead of the Matrox if you have any issues with DOS games.

Highly overrated problem. The Matrox will give a very nice picture and is quicker with both VGA and SVGA. It is a very good fit a quick Pentium like this machine. Also it is only in a handful older games that have some issues

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes