VOGONS

My Dual Xeon PC

Topic actions

First post, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my quest to own dual cpu boards(I find dual cpu boards sexy)
I recently purchased a second hand Asus NCCH-DL motherboard.
It came with 2 xeon cpu's specifically 800fsb 3.0 gig nocona's.
I got myself some corsair pc3200 (2gb) ram and filled the board with them.
Video is provided by an EVGA geforce 6800 ultra agp card.
And hardrive is a 250 Seagate sv Series.
Case is a Lancool PC-K63 (I love Lian li cases)
PSU is a corsair 650w
I am dual booting windown 2003 and windows 7 at the moment
I was suprised that the 875 chipset was used with xeons. The same chipset is powering another of my pc's with a 3 gig northwood cpu.
Some cable tidy up is still required but overall I am happy with this pc build.

Here are some pics:

Mainboard
IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

in the dark
IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

Reply 3 of 27, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you guys!

with pentium 4 not being everyones cup of tea (myself, I love them) I thought it would be a great idea to build another P4 but now with a xeon as a cpu.
The only thing with xeons is that the heatsinks do not attach to the board but to the m/b tray underneath.
So couple of M4 nuts and washers later the heatsinks were attached to the board.
You can see them in this pic of the back of the board.

IMG_1376.JPG

Reply 4 of 27, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not a P4 fan, but I always liked the 875P dual Xeon boards. Have you thought about testing the NCCH-DL with newer Xeons? Irwindale Xeons are known to work, but it seems no one succeeded with Tulsa Xeons. It seems no one tried Paxville Xeons - DP and MP - these don't have L3 cache so it might be easier to get them working. And they are dual cores what would make a cool quad core platform.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 6 of 27, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would say I like dualies more than you! These chips are "best in slot" www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon% ... 00FA).html

I actually used the ncch-dl as a main system several years back. POWERFUL system. I had an agp ati 3850 in it and played fallout 3 maxxed. I also had 4x 1gb ram with 3.8ghz processors.

I still have the processors, in fact they run my minecraft server, but with this board: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboar … 25/X6DA8-G2.cfm

searching the aussie ebay site, your in luck! there are some cheap ones available! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170855672690

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 27, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

stano, what about getting another harddrive in it, and then install a Linux distro too ? cause hey having fun is always great 😀 Other than that, bloody nice setup ! 😀

Reply 9 of 27, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought about that but did not do it at the time.
I can scrounge up a drive so which flavour of linux should I go with.
I have an athlon mp 1900+ system with ubuntu at the moment so would like to do some other distro..

Reply 10 of 27, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

stano: If you like a bit of a windows feely to it, then I think Linux Mint would be smashing, even if it was Linux Mint L X D E 😀

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2012-08-22, 20:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 27, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stano wrote:

I will install mint next weekend and have a look.
Will 2 gig of ram be enough to make it run smoothly?

If you choose L X D E, it should be running pretty good. But I am NOT promising anything. But ask some experts, on the matter. Before you dive into it. Meaning do not do something, that you will regret later. So ask before hand 😀

Reply 14 of 27, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stano wrote:
thank you guys! […]
Show full quote

thank you guys!

with pentium 4 not being everyones cup of tea (myself, I love them) I thought it would be a great idea to build another P4 but now with a xeon as a cpu.
The only thing with xeons is that the heatsinks do not attach to the board but to the m/b tray underneath.
So couple of M4 nuts and washers later the heatsinks were attached to the board.
You can see them in this pic of the back of the board.

That's very cool! Decent case too, some are too distracting, but that one pulls it off well.

I've always been quite interested in P4s (and own a handful of them). The 3.8Ghz P4s are quite a unique chip (especially the dual die 3.8Ghz Pentium Ds). Even though the large pipeline is slowing them down, they *are* running at that frequency!

I have to remind myself to get a few 3.8Ghz and 3.4Ghz Prescott 2Ms.

The common x86 2.8Ghz prescotts without speed step I typically throw out...

Reply 15 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m building a Prescott based system but just still collecting the parts, most of what you have got is on my wish list! Especially the case/PSU but can’t justify getting it while in the UK just to ship back to Oz in a few yeas time also want corsair ram but its just so expensive!

I like how the lightings not over the top just a few simple fans to light it up, man after my own heart. Very nice build indeed!

Reply 16 of 27, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice setup, I'm running tow xeons in similar setup of the same age except mine at 400mhz buss with ram clocked at 266mhz, i'm running a Teamspeak 3 server as well as my Minecraft server on it and soon my Terraria server too.

I'm planning on upon it to 4gb and maybe two 533mhz bus Gallatins since those are pretty much the fastest it can take but, iI have feeling if upgrade the CPUs i'll build another server around the old Prestonias which i'm currently using.

Reply 18 of 27, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well for 40 - 60 bucks for Gallatins and 48 ram that's a decent deal. I think I'll make out the ram before I max out the CPUs as Minecraft Severs take a good 1-2 gigabytes of ram. so i'm wondering what else I can run it on, I was considering a modded mincecraft sever to along with it, "Tekkit" along with Terraria and TeamSpeak 3, i'm wondering If should should just get a newer setup if I think i'm gonna load up servers on there.

I also thought about some SSDs, i think it has sata i'm just not sure if it has ACHI option in the bios. I have an Asus PC-DL and it's been a while since I have poked around in the bios. I saw two 80gb Intel SSDs for 65 USD used and thought wow, i'm not using any space at all as is, I bet that would eliminate any HDD bottle necks.

Hopefully I'm not derailing the thread.