VOGONS

First post, by adolescent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A few years back one of my coworkers found a Dell Dimension XPS M233s on the side of the road on "large item" trash day. After he realized he couldn't put Windows XP on it he gave it to me. I've finally taken it out of the garage, dusted it off, and started rebuilding it.

Current specs:
Dell Dimension XPS M233s
Intel Pentium MMX 233MHz
32MB RAM
S3 VirgeGX
SoundBlaster Vibra 16 + AWE32 Daughtercard (0 mem)
6GB WD HDD
3.5" FDD
CD-ROM

I think it's a great starting point. I plan to do the following add 32MB of RAM to max out the cachable memory to 64MB. I also want to put 32MB on the AWE32 daughtercard to finally hear the sounds I'd been missing all these years. I have a Voodoo II in storage that I'll finally get to use also. Finally, a friend gave me a 60GB SSD. I will try to add this using a IDE -> SATA adapter like I've used on other older computer in the past*. OS will be Windows 98 with DOS. Hopefully this can play a good amount of DOS and early Windows games.

* Not sure if the BIOS will support large drives though. If not, I'll try a different HDD controller card or try to find an old overlay like OnTrack Disk Manager.

I've always loved the early Dell cases. In the late 90s I was a PC technician and we had a few Dimensions and I much preferred the look of them over the more prevalent Optiplex business PC line.

Pictures will be posted soonish.

Progress/Status:
8/30: Installed an Intel PRO/100+ NIC , NEC USB 2.0 card, and the above SSD. Total invested so far = $0.
8/31: Installed Windows 98 SE along with the unofficial SP (2.1a), and NUSB packages. Now I can transfer files with a USB flash drive. I'll tackle DOS USB drivers on another day (if needed). So far the SSD is working well. The only real problem now is the case fan is load (was previously masked by the HDD noise!). I'll have to find/buy a new one.
9/8: Installed new 64MB RAM on the system board as well as 32MB on the AWE. $25.27 total shipped from 18004memory.com.

Last edited by adolescent on 2012-09-12, 04:43. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by adolescent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Faceplate:
img_4934.jpg

Inside:
img_4927.jpg

SSD (w/Adapter):
img_4930-r.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG_4934.JPG
    File size
    249.33 KiB
    Downloads
    154 downloads
    File comment
    XPS M233s Face
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    IMG_4927.JPG
    File size
    340.36 KiB
    Downloads
    161 downloads
    File comment
    XPS M233s Inside
    File license
  • Filename
    IMG_4930-r.JPG
    File size
    291.2 KiB
    Downloads
    159 downloads
    File comment
    XPS M233s SSD (w/IDE Adapter) on Dell 3.5" Sled
    File license

Reply 3 of 4, by adolescent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@sgt76

Thanks. I like it too. 😁

BTW, what are good benchmark utilities for DOS and Windows 98. I'd like to see how much speed I'm getting out of the SSD versus a normal HDD.