VOGONS

First post, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Earlier this month I scored a 16gb iPhone 3gs for helping somebody move. It was a nifty toy to me. Without AT&T, it was a glorified iPod. I loved using it for music and surfing the web with wifi was great too. However, I really needed a decent laptop to use. Wound up posting an ad on CL to barter and scored a laptop same day.

It's a Dell Latitude D520 circa 2007 with a 2ghz Core 2 Duo T7200, 15" XGA screen, 2gb memory, good battery (ran it for over three hours, I dunno how old it is), and to make it nicer, the 250gb hard drive is brand new and the laptop had a fresh install of Win7 on it.

Looking back on it, I'm amused and amazed a 3 year old iPhone is worth more than a decent laptop. Unfortunately, now this thing's set up, has all my music and such copied over, I've mostly used the thing to read reviews of it, flip through this messageboard and watch a few youtube videos. Sometimes I think computers are most amusing to me when I'm still in the middle of setting them up or fixing them.

Reply 1 of 8, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice one! I really like the Latitude series, you got the iPad hype working in your favour, it is a kind of technological fashion-victim 😀

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 2 of 8, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After having this computer for a little over a week, I've finally taken a photo!

LARGE PHOTO:
http://i.imgur.com/1ABQg.jpg
1ABQgl.jpg

Recently I installed VMWare and played around a bit with OSX Lion. I've actually been pondering the idea of making this into a Hackintosh. I've decided for now, no but whenever this computer needs a fresh install (usually I do that once a year for my computers) I'll try OSX as the OS for this machine.

Reply 3 of 8, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Newegg had refurb D520s for ~$170 (Celeron M, not C2D) a few weeks back. I was tempted by the XGA screen since it's 4:3 and would scale old games correctly, without bars. It only had Intel 945 video though.

The problem with slightly outdated hardware is that it can still do everything you'd expect a new PC to do.. it's just slower. No nostalgia or wow factor there.

Reply 4 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be glad for the Intel 945 video. If it would have an NVidia Chip instead, it would be the 7600GS and the laptop would be at risk of an early death because of the 7600GS overheating the solder.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 8, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, Wikipedia has information about problems with the Latitude D630 and 620 that apparently the 520 is immune to. Also, apparently, the D520 was also available with an SXGA+ screen. Furthermore, there was one more model after this, the D530 which is updated with the newer Intel Santa Rosa architecture; still integrated graphics and 4:3 screen.

This model, the 520, could be had with Celeron, Core Duo or Core 2 Duo. The Celeron models use the 945GML chipset whereas others have 945GM. I think the only significant difference there is ram limit. As for the GM950 integrated video, it's not bad but not awesome. I can play 1080P youtube videos in fullscreen. However, the screensavers from reallyslick.com run like a slideshow on this thing (but on the Dell PIII tower with a GeForce 256 I once had, they ran flawless). The GM950 is enough to run GTAIII with all the eye candy on max, SimCity 3000 and ZSNES so I'm happy. I'm not much a gamer anyways.

Also, FWIW, the ThinkPad T61 was available with a 4:3 screen but I'm unsure if the 4:3 models had discrete video. I think the best bet for a 4:3 laptop with modern specs if you're concerned about the graphics chip would be a ThinkPad T60.

Reply 6 of 8, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GXL750 wrote:

Yeah, Wikipedia has information about problems with the Latitude D630 and 620 that apparently the 520 is immune to. Also, apparently, the D520 was also available with an SXGA+ screen. Furthermore, there was one more model after this, the D530 which is updated with the newer Intel Santa Rosa architecture; still integrated graphics and 4:3 screen.

This model, the 520, could be had with Celeron, Core Duo or Core 2 Duo. The Celeron models use the 945GML chipset whereas others have 945GM. I think the only significant difference there is ram limit. As for the GM950 integrated video, it's not bad but not awesome. I can play 1080P youtube videos in fullscreen. However, the screensavers from reallyslick.com run like a slideshow on this thing (but on the Dell PIII tower with a GeForce 256 I once had, they ran flawless). The GM950 is enough to run GTAIII with all the eye candy on max, SimCity 3000 and ZSNES so I'm happy. I'm not much a gamer anyways.

Also, FWIW, the ThinkPad T61 was available with a 4:3 screen but I'm unsure if the 4:3 models had discrete video. I think the best bet for a 4:3 laptop with modern specs if you're concerned about the graphics chip would be a ThinkPad T60.

I've owned a T60p. They are not the most stable laptops...
Lenovo resorted to using a pure copper heatsink in those (due to the FireGL chips getting so hot), and they can reach 80C and beyond. Mine happened to die one day while using it.
Because I have a bunch of spare parts for one now, I may buy another... but redo the thermal paste and see if anything can be used instead of thermal pillows...
Also, when you type really fast, the T60s will pause and shoot a BIOS beep (typically you should have to press more than three keys for that to happen, not on T60s apparently). With flaws aside, I did really like it.

Reply 7 of 8, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really? That's interesting. Over on the thinkpads.com forum I've always heard very positive things about the T60s. Newest ThinkPad I've owned was a T42 and I never once had an issue with it. I kind of wish I hadn't sold it.

Reply 8 of 8, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GXL750 wrote:

Really? That's interesting. Over on the thinkpads.com forum I've always heard very positive things about the T60s. Newest ThinkPad I've owned was a T42 and I never once had an issue with it. I kind of wish I hadn't sold it.

The ONLY thinkpad I have left working is a mint (and rather obscure) iSeries one. It looks like this:
ThinkPadi1400.jpg

It can be used as a CD player without turning the machine on.

T42s seem to be the most reliable. But yeah, I am unintentionally building up an impressive array of spare T40/60 parts from machines that keep dying!
I may buy another T60 in the future, because truly, it was very nice in spite of its flaws.