My first SLI rig, hopefully!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

If the nVidia drivers are giving you grief in Ubuntu, there's a good chance they'll give you grief in Debian.

In terms of GPU support, all distributions use the same closed source binary blobs for drivers. I have heard that ATi has open source drivers now, but I don't know anything else about them. Might be something to check out.

Thanks for the info, I have a pair of machines, one with each GPU make so I was looking at which one to use for playing around with a nix distro and WINE.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 21 of 22, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using Lubuntu which is miles better and different then Ubuntu but, still has the same Repos and is just as user friendly if not more since the whole Unity B.S.

If any one is curious or experienced this is the issue i'm having, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1227 … 59#post12274459

Reply 22 of 22, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BigBodZod wrote:
So my experience is with CentOS and Fedora Core 12/14 as I use these with our POS Servers that are installed on customer sites/l […]
Show full quote
simbin wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

Yeah i'm kind of pissed atm because *buntu is hard locking on me with nvidia proprietary drivers. I really wanted to run Lubuntu on my brother back up machine (939/GTS250) since i already have some linux native games from the humble bundle. Really am/was looking forward to Steam for Linux.

I can't stand the whole Unity GDM and switched to Linux Mint. Something still didn't sit right with me, so now I'm running vanilla Debian. The only drawback I've found is that the official repositories are bit outdated, so you have to manually update your apps to their latest versions. If you've been using Ubuntu for a few yrs, you shouldn't have much trouble finding your way around in Debian. It's just a little rougher around the edges. I use Lubuntu on an older laptop. It's good if you really want to go lightweight. Just keep in mind, virtually everything is stripped from it. I found myself installing several packages I didn't even know I had in Ubuntu -- basic core stuff. It also uses KDE GDM as default.

So my experience is with CentOS and Fedora Core 12/14 as I use these with our POS Servers that are installed on customer sites/locations.

Since I'm an old AmigaDOS and CLI user back from the CP/M days I really enjoy using the command line for the most part.

Now to get my feet wet in a nice *nix GUI should I just start downloading various distros and test them out or does somebody have a recommended distro like Ubuntu that works with WINE ?

I guess the thing would be which distro has the best support for either an AMD Radeon 6970 GPU or the nVidia 465 GPU ?

You may want to use Fedora full, since you're already familiar with those terminal commands.

I started with Ubuntu, so I've been sticking with Debian-based distros.

I had some problems at first getting Nvidia drivers to work, but later got them going. The good thing about Ubuntu is the support forums are some of the best out there. You can pretty much Google any problem you're having and find a solution.

Don't give up. Just stick with it and you'll be happy in the end. Linux has so much freedom once you find your way around.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC