VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the last win98 pc I had was based on a AMD k6-3 450 which was good but lacked some power, simcity 3000 crawled on it so I had a spare 1ghz pentium mb and decided to throw together something abit more powerful as yet it is unfinished but heres what i have. I'm trying to keep it roughly era correct so nothing really beyond 2002 but I may consider stretching that a little as the build finishes.

M790MR duel CPU motherboard
Pentium 3 1ghtz
256MB sdram
Geforce 3 ti400
SB audiology 2 zs

1004520.jpg

1004519g.jpg

I removed 1 cpu since I figured win98 does not support it and it would only cause more heat and drain power. I don't care for the placment of my cpu in this case either but with 3 fans plus the cpu fan I think cooling is going to be fine.

I still need a 3 1/2 floppy drive and I would like to bring the RAM up to 512MB and perhaps upgrade the cpu to a Pentium 3 1.13ghz chip with the 512k cashe but i'm not 100% sure the MB supports it.

Simcity plays much more acceptably one this PC but still is a bit sluggish and has a few hiccups in the intro video (not like the k6-III though). i'm hoping the cpu upgrade and ram upgrade will help that. I was also considering a geforce 4 but i'm not sure how much it would help.

Reply 1 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even using only 1 CPU, I wouldn't use this board in a Windows 98 rig. I'd save it for a 2K/XP box where the second CPU would be usable and find a single CPU motherboard to run 98. I found out when I got my ABit VP6 and BP6 boards that that would be the best way to deploy them.

Reply 2 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree but its the only P3 board I currently have and I just didn't want to spend mony on anouther mb if I already have one here, unless its going to give me alot of trouble in the end. I already have a duel cpu PC with 2 1.4ghz P3's running XP so I don't really have a need....acually i have several duel CPU boards lying around that I dunno what to do with. I origionaly had anouther board I was trying but it wouldnt run anything over a NVIDIA MX400, somthing to do with power issues from what i could google.

Reply 3 of 8, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
soviet conscript wrote:

I agree but its the only P3 board I currently have and I just didn't want to spend mony on anouther mb if I already have one here, unless its going to give me alot of trouble in the end. I already have a duel cpu PC with 2 1.4ghz P3's running XP so I don't really have a need....acually i have several duel CPU boards lying around that I dunno what to do with. I origionaly had anouther board I was trying but it wouldnt run anything over a NVIDIA MX400, somthing to do with power issues from what i could google.

Heh, got any P3 Xeon boards?

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 5 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saw on your 2nd picture that you have your PSU mounted sideways. This means that it's sucking air in the exact opposite direction compared to your CPU cooler. The case you put it in works better with CPU coolers that blow/suck air sideways (like a slot 1 cooler).

Just thought I should mention it 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soviet conscript wrote:

thats how I got it and also apperently is the only way it goes on. your talking about the PSU right?

I'm talking about how the PSU and the HSF will fight for air, they will kinda counterbalance each other as they are directing air in opposite directions.

If it doesn't bother you too much and if it has no ill effect for the cooling of your CPU(if it doesn't overheat), then don't worry about it too much.
But it's not exactly efficient.
I have a couple cases that have the PSU mount in the same way and all of them came with Slot 1 motherboards.
Usually these cases are a bit "fatter" then other ATX cases, but that's a bit trivial.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!