VOGONS

Hello folks!

Topic actions

First post, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey everyone! Just in time for the new year, I am making my first post! I am new to the forums as a mamber, but I have been perusing them for a while now. I have had a long hiatus from computer-related tinkering and whatnot though I have recently gotten the bug again! My first computer was a 486 circa 1994, and ever since 1998 I have built dozens and dozens of systems for myself and friends/family so I have gone through the whole gambit of specs during that time. I stopped around 2008 after I built my current main system, a core 2 quad Q6600 running at 3.0Ghz.

Well, I may be building a new system later in the year, but until then, I have 2 projects I will be working on. I may also start a follow-up project afterwards.

Project 1: Around 2001 I built my first socket-A/462 system and I loved that platform for many years. I have in my possession an XP-M 1600+ mobile chip that I should be able to o/c very nicely to over 3200+ levels. The goal of this system is to be a Windows XP gaming system for titles between 2000ish and 2006ish, which was a great time in my opinion. It will be paired with an MSI K7N2-Delta 2 board, an ATI x1650Pro AGP card and some DDR ram. I know this setup isn't exactly "vintage" but it was a time I enjoyed in computing and as such, has a special place in my heart 😀

Project 2: I spent a LOT of time back in the late 90's working with socket 7 systems. I spent a LOT of time trying to make them last as long as I could to be exact! When pentium 2's and 3's were being bought by my friends (and I was building them to add insult to injury 😀 ) all I could afford was a K6-based SS7 system. I tried and tried to get those K6-3's to perform better, but there wasn't much I could do. But, I really enjoyed working with them, and I learned so much during that time. I even tinkered with resistors and stuff and in some cases got K6-2's and 3's to work on boards they had no business working on. Going back further, my first pentium was a 233MMX in 1998 which just totally blew me away when compared to my trusty old 486, and that CPU brings back good memories. Well, before I went into the world of socket-A, my system was a K6-3+ 450 @600 with a Voodoo 3 on an Aopen AX59Pro board. I loved that system and I know it worked its little heart out to try to keep up with the other big boys of the time. I would like to put together a similar system, and I already have the CPU and video card...as well as the board (though it is a Tyan S1598). This will be a Windows 98 system that'll run stuff from the mid-late 90's.

Follow-up projects: In the future I want to put together a 486 rig for classic DOS gaming, or maybe an early P1 since I know that 486 stuff is hard to find. Man, I wish i kept more of my old stuff!!!

Well, I'll put up some pics once I get going. Just wanted to introduce myself...and wish everyone a great 2013!

Reply 1 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome to the club!

Your projects sound very interesting. Looking forward to seeing them develop.

Guess what? I actually have an AX59pro board here. With the latest BIOS it's compatible with the K6-2+ and K6-3+ chips that on-chip cache. I have an 550 chip and it's quite the performer.

Still, IMP nothing beats a solid BX440 system from that period. These AMD VIA boards can be a bit tricky sometimes 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 9, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Welcome to the club! […]
Show full quote

Welcome to the club!

Your projects sound very interesting. Looking forward to seeing them develop.

Guess what? I actually have an AX59pro board here. With the latest BIOS it's compatible with the K6-2+ and K6-3+ chips that on-chip cache. I have an 550 chip and it's quite the performer.

Still, IMP nothing beats a solid BX440 system from that period. These AMD VIA boards can be a bit tricky sometimes 😀

Dunno... 440GX boards + Xeons are pretty beastly if you can actually find them. 😁

But then of course you can run slotkets and Tualatins on some of those BX boards.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 3 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome aboard!
Looking forward to seeing some pics hehe! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 9, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, a lot of those friends that had P3's had them housed on 440BX boards. They were rock solid. I really couldn't say the same for a lot of the S7 systems I built. The strange thing was I remember a lot of the older S7 boards being much more robust than a lot of the later SS7 ones with AGP and 100mhz FSB. Maybe the chipset was being pushed to the limit by then. The AX59 Pro was the best SS7 board I used in my opinion, and I remember using a couple versions of the ASUS P5A, and the Gigabyte GA5AX, which were considered some of the better boards for that setup.

Well, I have the 1600+ setup put together and will be installing software on it later today. I'll have to do some testing to make sure everything is happy, but it is currently running at 11.5X200=2300 Mhz. Gotta love those unlocked mobile XP's 😀

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 5 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ditched the AX59 Pro for an Iwill board, mostly because it didn't have an L1 cache option in the BIOS. Apart from that it's a decent board though.

I have a Pentium 200 in mine, running at 66 x 2 and usually with L1 and L2 cache disabled. It's basically a 386 with all the SS7 platform perks:

- ATX PSU
- PS/2 mouse and keyboard
- ATX case
- Modern BIOS

I call it Time Machine PC 😀 Because it's a hybrid of old and new technologies.

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 9, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are some pics of the system. Its kinda a ragtag setup right now as I used what I had laying around (including a zip drive!!!). But she is humming along at 2300 Mhz and has passed every test I've thrown at it. I'll probably try 2400 or more in the future.

MSI K7n2-Delta 2-FSR board
AMD Athlon XP-M 1600+ @ 2300 Mhz 😀
2x 1gb Corsair DDR
ATI x1650Pro AGP
40 GB ide hard drive (will be upgrading to 80GB SATA)

Attachments

• Filename
    XP-M 001.jpg
    File size
    848.17 KiB
    Downloads
    78 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    XP-M 002.jpg
    File size
    851.88 KiB
    Downloads
    78 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    XP-M 005.jpg
    File size
    1014.85 KiB
    Downloads
    80 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    XP-M 007.jpg
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Downloads
    79 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    XP-M 006.jpg
    File size
    509.43 KiB
    Downloads
    88 downloads
    File license

Reply 7 of 9, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I decided to work on the socket 7 rig for a bit and I actually found an old Pentium classic 133! FOr now I'm gonna play around with that instead of the k6-3+.

Maybe I'll do a dos install for that CPU...hmmm..

Reply 8 of 9, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is a pic of the Tyan board and the K6-3+

😁

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG_0550.JPG
    File size
    847.49 KiB
    Downloads
    98 downloads
    File license

Reply 9 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice! Interesting layout with the CPU on the far corner 😀

My YouTube channel