VOGONS

First post, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's something I did to a Deskpro 4000 I rescued a few years ago. The computer worked fine, but the chassis was in such poor condition that I decided to build a new case for it. Out of cardboard. But the Cardboard Pro 4000 isn't your garden-variety cardboard PC. This one has an LED light tube and a window revealing its CCFL-lit innards! And a ton of tape. It's a miracle it hasn't fallen apart after 3 years of use!

First of all, the specs:
-An unlocked PII "Klamath" 300MHz
-192MB worth of EDO SIMMs
-Proprietary 440FX chipset motherboard
-20GB Maxtor hard drive
-Powercolor Radeon 7000 PCI (64MB DDR)
-SB Live
-A PCI USB 1.1 card. The mobo doesn't have an onboard USB controller.
-Cnet Pro200WL PCI network card
-LG CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive
-Currently running Win95 and 2000
-A bunch of lights, tape, and cardboard

What I'll probably end up doing is turn this machine into a speed-sensitive DOS gaming box. The unlocked Klamath and jumpers on this motherboard make it very easy to run the CPU at 133MHz and/or disable the L2. This slows games down to the point of being playable.

Here are a few pictures of Cardboardpro 4000, hooked up to the e771p test monitor and running Win2k setup.

Front light off:

Front light set to slowly fade in and out. I believe this is one of those things that is so ugly, it's cute.

A peek inside:

Top panel removed:

Six 32MB 60ns EDO SIMMs:

A standard AT power connector, along with a proprietary 10-pin 3.3v aux power connector. The computer is turned on/off by a mechanical, mains voltage switch. This is the first P2 based machine I've seen without an electronically-controlled power supply. It's also the first P2 motherboard I've seen without onboard USB.

This power supply is huge--it's bigger than the 650w Corsair that powers my main computer. Despite its size and weight, it only puts out 160w.

Compaq's unusual flush-mounted Slot 1 connector makes the P2 look like a very large socketed CPU. I used three 40mm fans pulled from an old HDD cooler to keep the heatsink cool. The Klamath-300 is the fastest CPU this board will run properly. Deschutes, Mendocino, and Katmai all run with the L2 cache disabled.

And yes, I used an elastic band to hold the three fans down. It works extremely well. I've moved this machine several times without disturbing the highly elaborate elastic band/fan setup. 😁

Back of the unit. The DVI port on the Radeon 7000 can actually drive my LCD at its native 1920x1200 under Win2000. However, with Win95, digital output seems to be limited to 640x480. Anything higher results in massive display corruption. Screen redraws @ 1920x1200 under Win2k can be a little slow, especially when minimizing/maximizing a browser window. The EDO RAM and 66MHz FSB are probably the largest performance bottlenecks here.

My favourite benchmark:

Last edited by Standard Def Steve on 2023-04-24, 03:41. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha this is beautiful. I love the side window!

You guys might enjoy this recent thread from over on Hardforum. This guy brings cardboard computing to another level
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1743314

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 5 of 8, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

OMG! What do I see here?! 😕 (rubs his eyes a few times); OK, I get it now, very clever of you to rebuild it like that Standard Def Steve 😀 . I bet the engineers at Compaq never foresaw this happening to one of their computers 😈 .

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 8 of 8, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your case looks great.
This gives me lots of inspiration. 😀
Since I dont have the part of the original deskpro case where you anchor the expansion cards I will need something a bit more sturdy, perhaps wood!

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.