Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I think a big part of the reason why the old C&C games didn't work on NT-based OSes was just because of how their IPX networking was coded.

On that note, I read that Red Alert 2 came out late in 2000. Did people struggle with running that game on XP at all?

Ive ran it on XP , it runs fine without any issues., most likely due to the native Win2000 support, Tiberian Sun also works ok, though it can be a bit too fast.

Somehow I thought it was just the TFD versions that worked, but I guess I stand corrected. 😁

Reply 21 of 23, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Darkman wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I think a big part of the reason why the old C&C games didn't work on NT-based OSes was just because of how their IPX networking was coded.

On that note, I read that Red Alert 2 came out late in 2000. Did people struggle with running that game on XP at all?

Ive ran it on XP , it runs fine without any issues., most likely due to the native Win2000 support, Tiberian Sun also works ok, though it can be a bit too fast.

Somehow I thought it was just the TFD versions that worked, but I guess I stand corrected. 😁

there is actually a patch that help the original C&C/RA work in WIn2000/XP too (apparently it disables the LAN feature in the game), making TFD fairly useless to previous owners of the games.

the other option I guess might be to run the DOS version of C&C in DOSbox , or of course get a vintage PC.