VOGONS

First post, by alex_ncfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Been on here reading all your stories about souped-up 486 machines etc etc. I love all the retro stuff and the reason I'm here is because I have just stumbled across this box:

DSC_1433_zpsc96af876.jpg

And inside it I find....

DSC_1434_zps21b94f81.jpg

How cool is that? Caked in dust, God knows if it still works, still has memory and CPU mounted, wonder if the CMOS battery still works? 😉

Even got the manual with the driver CD inside it:

DSC_1436_zps34ef4a91.jpg

This was my last AT based machine, and I forgot I still had this. I now recall though (and this has made me angry with myself as you will find out later) that I stripped this out of an old AT case (which I bought brand new around the same time as this board, circa 2000) when I was cleaning out my old bedroom at my parents, and I binned the case! It had gone all yellow and manky, and I thought it was no longer of any use.

The board is a JetWay 542C and I have no idea if it still works (did last time I used it in 2005 as a backup machine when my brand new build decided to give up), but notice how it's got an ATX and AT port. Wonder how much I'd get for this?! I am half tempted to test it out using my current ATX PSU, but I have no video card, nor do I have an AT keyboard 🙁 Brings me onto how I want to get into some retro builds -

Thing is, I've been looking at 486 boards on ebay - and I am shocked at how much they are going for now! I started getting into PCs when my dad got an old banged up 486DX2/50 in 1998 - so it was already pretty obsolete then! It had 8MB RAM, and was an IBM Consultant PS/1 - because I knew nothing about PCs at this time, I thought it was a 486 SX-25 as that's what it said on the case sticker, but it must have been upgraded. It had a 120MB hard disk, and was the PC that got me hooked, as when my dad put a sound card in it, it was the first time I'd seen inside a PC and I started to get interested in learning more about them, so I began looking for an old 486 I could have myself, in my room. I was only about 13 at the time, and I remember we found this local shop selling tonnes and tonnes (and I am not joking!) of old Olivetti 486 PCs - they looked ancient, the case was very dated, and they were model M300-30, 486-SX-25, 12MB RAM, 300MB hard disk, and some Western Digital graphics card. And guess what? They were £10 each...yes, ten of your English pounds for a complete system (£15 with a monitor!!)

Anyway over the year or so after that, I upgraded again and again, first to a DX2/66 on some no name motherboard, and then I was at a computer fair and managed to grab a 486-DX4 120 board with CPU for £8! That was my last 486 machine. I remember I had a bag full of 486 boards in static wrapping bags when I lived at my parents. I have no idea what came of them. I am wondering if my dad has binned them. I also had a load of old VLB video cards, can't recall what they were, but I used to goto computer fairs almost monthly in those 2000-2002 days, and they used to have boxes full to the brim of old ISA and VLB cards - usually with a sign saying "50p each", sometimes even "free to a good home!"

Gone off on a tangent a bit there but basically, 486s now look like gold dust on eBay, why is this? A little over 10 years ago they were practically given away, but now they are suddenly collectors items? I've been looking for a board on eBay, trying to find a 486 board with PCI slots as I'd love to make a 486 build - this brings me back to the AT case I put in the garbage - it had a perfectly working AT PSU but I regret disposing of it now because I can't find AT cases and/or AT PSUs anywhere - but I will keep a look out. I envy your stories on your 486 builds and wish a) I still had access to all those 486 motherboards, compatible RAM, CPUs, VLB video and controller cards etc that I had in a big bag all those years ago and b) I still had my AT-case to put them in!!

I will keep checking to see if they pop up on ebay. With the money these things are going for now, I wish I'd bought loads of those old 486s from that shop all those years ago!! It seems they are now again in big demand.

Does anybody have any recommendations where I'd be able to find an AT-case/PSU, keyboard etc which doesn't cost a bomb?

Thanks

Alex

CURRENT BUILD
Still using my 'retro'
AMD 64 X2 4200
3GB DDR400 RAM
400GB HARD DRIVE
WINDOWS 7
PNY GEFORCE 8800GT
ASUS A8N-SLI-DELUXE

Reply 1 of 24, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to have a jetway 542c, it was a nice stable board. There were quite a few boards from around then that had both at and atx connectors - and also that big keyboard socket.

By disabling caches you can achieve 386 and 486 speeds even with a k6/2 installed. I'd say the advantages of that plus being able to use an atx psu, having onboard floppy/ide ports, and pci slots, makes it a good basis for a decent retro box.

Reply 2 of 24, by alex_ncfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply.

I also found it to be a stable board, though it was more stable obviously in XP due to the inherent instabilities of Win9x, however, I think Windows XP was just a bit too much for this board, never had satisfactory performance, and that was when I had a 500Mhz K6-2 in there. Did you ever try overclocking on this board? I remember there was a "trick", can't remember if it was this board specific or not, but there was a dip-switch configuration that could overclock to 600Mhz, even though the max the board could do was 550. This was too much for my 500Mhz K6-2, and it used to just fail after POST.

I remember I always wanted to get myself a K6-3 for this board, as some guy on a forum years back said it would perform equivalent to a same-speed Pentium 3, but they were just far too expensive, even then when they had started to become obsolete.

Wish I had an old PCI video card lying around with an old AT keyboard! Want to fire this up 😀

CURRENT BUILD
Still using my 'retro'
AMD 64 X2 4200
3GB DDR400 RAM
400GB HARD DRIVE
WINDOWS 7
PNY GEFORCE 8800GT
ASUS A8N-SLI-DELUXE

Reply 3 of 24, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know I always trust Motherboard brand!

Funny, I once had an IBM PS/1 Consultant SX-25 that I had upgraded with an Overdrive chip to DX2-50 and 8MB of RAM. It came with a 133MB hard drive, but I also bumped that up to 850 whopping MB. 😁

Reply 4 of 24, by alex_ncfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stull wrote:

I know I always trust Motherboard brand!

Funny, I once had an IBM PS/1 Consultant SX-25 that I had upgraded with an Overdrive chip to DX2-50 and 8MB of RAM. It came with a 133MB hard drive, but I also bumped that up to 850 whopping MB. 😁

That must be the same machine!! You are indeed right, mine was also 133MB hard disk space, I remember being happy if I had about 5MB free, and was forever running down to 0! Then I discovered C:\WINDOWS\TEMP - like I said above, I was young 😉

I reckon mine also had an overdrive in it, I never ran any utilities back then and was still learning, so I don't know if it was an overdrive for sure, but I remember it was definitely 50Mhz. And the 8MB RAMtoo - in its last days I tried to put Windows 95 on it...nightmare!!

I wish I still had that machine, I sold it for £5 if I recall to an old school friend 🙁

PS1_Frontal.jpg

CURRENT BUILD
Still using my 'retro'
AMD 64 X2 4200
3GB DDR400 RAM
400GB HARD DRIVE
WINDOWS 7
PNY GEFORCE 8800GT
ASUS A8N-SLI-DELUXE

Reply 5 of 24, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bit off topic but I just obtained a PS/1 2133-114. Not as beefy as the Consultant but still a nice machine in its own right with 4 Megs of RAM and a 170MB hard drive 😁

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 6 of 24, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have also had one of those IBM 486 SX25, I think it had 8mb ram and a 170 mb hardrive.
Mine diddnt have an overdrive 😁
It was a stop gap between my IBM 55 SX and a olevetti 486 SX33 (that used standard components)
The olivetti had two harddrives 80 + 210 mb and a soundblaster clone of some sort, The olivetti was perhaps half a year old when I bought it and I diddnt have to pay much more then I got from selling the IBM SX25.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7 of 24, by alex_ncfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great replies! Keep them coming.

I remember that whenever I booted that PS/1 machine, 9 times out of 10 there'd be a BIOS configuration error, but like I said, because I didn't know much about anything PC wise back then, I used to just bypass it. I wonder what it was, I will try and remember the code! I know it used to beep twice. This is bringing back many memories!

Hard to imagine in this day and age that we were plodding along on 170mb hard drives!

That Olivetti machine I mentioned, the M300-30, man I wish I still had that, but I messed up the motherboard when it became my secondary PC and it had to go I'm the trash 🙁 they were so sturdy, had a very funny design. I remember the power switch was just a big plastic rectangle that when you looked inside, pushed a metal arm which went all the way to the pack of the PC and into the PSU! Even though it was only 25mhz SX, I seem to remember it performing so well with Windows 95 on only 12mb ram too.

Got a question for you all, if I was to get a usb-to-PS2 converter, and then a PS2 to AT converter, would I be able to use my USB keyboard on my AT motherboard?!

Sorry if there are any typos, writing this on my mobile.

Alex

CURRENT BUILD
Still using my 'retro'
AMD 64 X2 4200
3GB DDR400 RAM
400GB HARD DRIVE
WINDOWS 7
PNY GEFORCE 8800GT
ASUS A8N-SLI-DELUXE

Reply 8 of 24, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alex_ncfc wrote:

Got a question for you all, if I was to get a usb-to-PS2 converter, and then a PS2 to AT converter, would I be able to use my USB keyboard on my AT motherboard?!

Only if it's designed to be used by both USB and PS/2, which is the case in many USB mice, but not so many keyboards. 😉

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 9 of 24, by alex_ncfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GeorgeMan wrote:
alex_ncfc wrote:

Only if it's designed to be used by both USB and PS/2, which is the case in many USB mice, but not so many keyboards. 😉

Just thought to myself, the AT Super Socket 7 board above has USB in the form of a pin-out, so I could use it with a backplate and not need to worry about keyboard adapters etc! Depends if the BIOS will allow the keyboard to work from the off though, as the CMOS settings for sure will be lost since I last used it. If only I could put a 486 into that board! Mind you, I guess I could obtain an old P75 or something and use that instead.

I bid on a 486 board on ebay the other day. Because I have seen boards selling for stupid amount, I didn't think I'd win, but I did, and got it for about £6.50! With a DX2/80 CPU too, but no RAM. Turned up today. Not looked at it properly yet to see what type of board it is, so I know nothing about it really.

As you can tell I'm now getting into the idea of building a retro machine 😜

CURRENT BUILD
Still using my 'retro'
AMD 64 X2 4200
3GB DDR400 RAM
400GB HARD DRIVE
WINDOWS 7
PNY GEFORCE 8800GT
ASUS A8N-SLI-DELUXE

Reply 10 of 24, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recommend that you shouldnt bother about does AT PSU.. The quality in that time was very poor.. Does AT psu mostly where dead i a few years.. They are also dust collectors..
If you go for an AT one, then choose for a Hi-POT one.. But better looking for a better quality ATX psu

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 11 of 24, by alex_ncfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

I recommend that you shouldnt bother about does AT PSU.. The quality in that time was very poor.. Does AT psu mostly where dead i a few years.. They are also dust collectors..
If you go for an AT one, then choose for a Hi-POT one.. But better looking for a better quality ATX psu

I think the PSU in the old AT case I discarded a few years bacj was Hi-POT, not that I'm going to pretend to know what that means 🤣.

I had my main PC case open yesterday to attempt to fit a Zalman CPU heatsink/fan I got off eBay - the retention clip snapped but that's another story. So whilst I had it open I thought I'd grab my JetWay board and see if I can hook the ATX connector up to it and power it up, but the cable sadly isn't long enough unless I remove the PSU from my main case, which I can't be bothered doing right now 🤣. Shame because I wanted to see it fired up for old times sake.

Would it be easy to mount an AT board in an ATX case? Rather annoyingly I did have a spare ATX PSU but I had an ebay selling spree in Summer 2012, and that was one of the things that went 🙁

CURRENT BUILD
Still using my 'retro'
AMD 64 X2 4200
3GB DDR400 RAM
400GB HARD DRIVE
WINDOWS 7
PNY GEFORCE 8800GT
ASUS A8N-SLI-DELUXE

Reply 12 of 24, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alex_ncfc wrote:

Would it be easy to mount an AT board in an ATX case?

It's a piece of cake if the ATX case has the mounting holes already done. If it doesn't, you can create your own. But its a nightmare aligning & measuring to ensure theyre in the right spot.

I have an AT Super7 board mounted in an ATX case as we speak. Plus I have those fancy IO shields you need for the AT keyboard.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 13 of 24, by alex_ncfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was going to say about the AT keyboard, I guess you just punched through the supplied ATX backplate and put your own in there?

Would be a nice little project for me maybe, I remember back in the day you could get cases with ATX PSUs supplied for under a tenner on sites like eBuyer, I wonder if this is still the case (no pun intended)

Being that the JetWay board has an ATX connector on too and is a late AT board, I would imagine it has the holes aligned for ATX too maybe.

CURRENT BUILD
Still using my 'retro'
AMD 64 X2 4200
3GB DDR400 RAM
400GB HARD DRIVE
WINDOWS 7
PNY GEFORCE 8800GT
ASUS A8N-SLI-DELUXE

Reply 14 of 24, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alex_ncfc wrote:

Being that the JetWay board has an ATX connector on too and is a late AT board, I would imagine it has the holes aligned for ATX too maybe.

In an ATX case, there is about 2-3 holes extra needed to suit an AT board. If they don't have them, I suppose you could use the little plastic risers ala AT case. Otherwise, yes the bottom holes do align with an AT board.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 16 of 24, by alex_ncfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Forevermore wrote:
alex_ncfc wrote:

In an ATX case, there is about 2-3 holes extra needed to suit an AT board. If they don't have them, I suppose you could use the little plastic risers ala AT case. Otherwise, yes the bottom holes do align with an AT board.

Thanks for the info 😀

In that case I am best off finding a cheap ATX case, doesn't need to be anything special. Obviously if it was more "old-school" then it'd look better but some of these cheap ATX cases don't look too bad.

What sort of PSU would I need? Surely a 300W would do? I have no idea what PSU I used to use with this machine.

By the way I bid on a 486 board on eBay and won it, I don't know much about the board yet but the fact is I have no SIMMs to use and I am guessing they could be hard to come by, along with a VGA card and controller card (VLB perhaps) so I might have to skip that project and go with the Jetway board. I also have no AT keyboard! Such a shame that all these parts are getting hard to come by 🙁 I didn't expect to win the bid for the 486 board if I am honest, which is why I bid, as I thought they go for so much now, that I'd have no chance of winning it. As I know everybody here loves pics, here's one, maybe someone here can identify it:

DSC_1538_zps57775a86.jpg

Didn't realise boards of this era still had 8-bit ISA slots, was there any point seeing as you could use them in the 16-bit slots?

Does anybody remember a device called a "SIMM Saver", which allowed you to use 30-pin SIMMS in 72-pin SIMM slots? I had a box-full of these back in the old days...

CURRENT BUILD
Still using my 'retro'
AMD 64 X2 4200
3GB DDR400 RAM
400GB HARD DRIVE
WINDOWS 7
PNY GEFORCE 8800GT
ASUS A8N-SLI-DELUXE

Reply 17 of 24, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alex_ncfc wrote:
Thanks for the info :) […]
Show full quote
Forevermore wrote:
alex_ncfc wrote:

Thanks for the info 😀

In that case I am best off finding a cheap ATX case, doesn't need to be anything special. Obviously if it was more "old-school" then it'd look better but some of these cheap ATX cases don't look too bad.

What sort of PSU would I need? Surely a 300W would do? I have no idea what PSU I used to use with this machine.

By the way I bid on a 486 board on eBay and won it, I don't know much about the board yet but the fact is I have no SIMMs to use and I am guessing they could be hard to come by, along with a VGA card and controller card (VLB perhaps) so I might have to skip that project and go with the Jetway board. I also have no AT keyboard! Such a shame that all these parts are getting hard to come by 🙁 I didn't expect to win the bid for the 486 board if I am honest, which is why I bid, as I thought they go for so much now, that I'd have no chance of winning it. As I know everybody here loves pics, here's one, maybe someone here can identify it:

DSC_1538_zps57775a86.jpg

Didn't realise boards of this era still had 8-bit ISA slots, was there any point seeing as you could use them in the 16-bit slots?

Does anybody remember a device called a "SIMM Saver", which allowed you to use 30-pin SIMMS in 72-pin SIMM slots? I had a box-full of these back in the old days...

I'm not sure that you can populate both the 30 pin and 72 pin slots on these boards at the same time so your SIMM savers may be of limited value here.

Reply 18 of 24, by alex_ncfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh no sliderider, I didn't mean I was going to use them, or even had any to use - was just reminiscing about them once I saw that the board had slots for both 30-pin and 72-pin SIMMs.

They were a very handy way of re-using old unused RAM which was left lying around!

What's the going rate for a pair of 72-pin SIMMS? Mind you, I need to find the manual for this board first - proving difficult, as I know *nothing* about the board! So far the only thing I've seen is "PT-430" in the lower corner of the board.

CURRENT BUILD
Still using my 'retro'
AMD 64 X2 4200
3GB DDR400 RAM
400GB HARD DRIVE
WINDOWS 7
PNY GEFORCE 8800GT
ASUS A8N-SLI-DELUXE

Reply 19 of 24, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think this is your board http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/P/PI … 486-PT-430.html or very close to it.
Its interesting that your board has a molex peripheral connector on it, I've never seen that on an AT board before.

Of some concern though is that it appears that the Keyboard IC is missing which you need to use the keyboard, there is no cache either but it will still work without cache just a bit slower.