VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by alex_ncfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A good find, Awergh. That is definitely the board. Had never heard of Pine before.

I was curious about the molex on the motherboard too. I guess this must have been a point when fans were becoming required on CPUs and they just used a standard 4 pin molex instead of a 3-pin connector.

Yes I noticed the empty socket for the keyboard controller. I can't even get it fired up as I don't have a case/PSU/AT keyboard, but would be interesting to see if it does work (it was sold as working)

That brief manual also mentions a daughter board, notice about 1/4 of the way down on the right hand side there is a small 8 pin connector, wonder what this was for?

Probably have to get rid of this board if I can't locate a case for it soon and just concentrate on the Jetway board.

CURRENT BUILD
Still using my 'retro'
AMD 64 X2 4200
3GB DDR400 RAM
400GB HARD DRIVE
WINDOWS 7
PNY GEFORCE 8800GT
ASUS A8N-SLI-DELUXE

Reply 21 of 24, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well you can see if the board posts without a keyboard or a case and substitue with an ATX PSU with an adaptor although I've never personally used one of these.
Not sure what the 8 pin connector your referring to is unless it is some jumpers or something?

I would definitely discourage you from getting rid of the board because even if you can't work out what to do with the board right now you will likely regret parting with it if you find what you want later. Of course if you intend on storing it you should remember to remove the battery and clean up if there is any mess.

Reply 22 of 24, by alex_ncfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good point, I had wanted to find a 486 board for a while. Not sure if this particular one by Pine is much good though, I doubt anybody has heard of it 🤣. I wish I could find the DX4-120 board I had in my teens though - would love to get that up and running again 🙁

Maybe I will have to store it away - I do not know the first thing about removing those old style batteries though. It is already looking a bit 'furry'

I had seen those ATX-to-AT converters, but can't find them cheap. Which is a pain. I keep looking on Gumtree for an old ATX PC that I can rip the guts out of and use my Jetway 542C board in there, maybe even utilising any of the stuff that came with the PC.

CURRENT BUILD
Still using my 'retro'
AMD 64 X2 4200
3GB DDR400 RAM
400GB HARD DRIVE
WINDOWS 7
PNY GEFORCE 8800GT
ASUS A8N-SLI-DELUXE

Reply 23 of 24, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are two ways of removing the battery theres the lazy way which is to cut off the legs and take it off possibly have to twist it off if its glued on. Or you can desolder it from the board, if you dont have a soldering iron I would recommend just cutting it off and disposing of the battery.

Reply 24 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ATX to AT power adapters have gone up in price? I bought two ages ago and they didn't cost much. Work like a charm with my 486 Acer mainboard.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel