It's 286 time!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

With the SIPPs you can actually solder pins on SIMMs and use those... If you have the patience for it.

Yeah I did read that somewhere but no, I don't have the patience! Thanks for the tip though.

I've decided that 1MB is enough for this bad boy anyway. Anything that needs more will get a taste of my 386**

** I have too many computers.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 22 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

With the SIPPs you can actually solder pins on SIMMs and use those... If you have the patience for it.

Wouldn't it be easier to solder on some SIMM slots?

I don't think you even need to solder them, if you had some SIMM slots you could just push the pins into the SIPP holes.

Reply 23 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

For the PC Speaker, I just spliced a resistor into one of the speaker cables. I think I used a 16 ohm resistor, and that quietened it down a bit.

This might be a stupid question, my electronics knowledge is not too flash. But instead of a standard resister, could I use a trimpot instead? I'd like to be able to adjust the PC speaker volume, so if for example I put something like this...

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=R … or&form=KEYWORD

... into one of the speaker wires, would it work? My simple understanding is that this is a variable resister which would allow me adjust the resistance to the correct level, thereby allowing me to adjust how hard the speaker is being driven.

Thanks for any help.

Reply 24 of 110, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For voice levels, you need a logarithmic trimmer/trimpot (variable resistor), because our ears hear logarithmically.
For us to hear a sound at double level, the sound itself needs to be 10 times stronger.

Keep in mind that trimmers are not made for this job, they should burn themselves if the speaker consumes more than 0.1 watts, and I'm not sure if 1-2-5W trimmers exist...
But you could try it. 😀

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 25 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A couple of sound upgrades for the 286. Firstly the PC speaker, which was ear splittingly loud. The answer to that problem was obvious – ear plugs! But not for me – those cheap foam ones from the chemist were the perfect size to plug into each of the 5 holes inside the case which were allowing the racket out, and now it’s far more bearable.

And secondly this nice ’87 Adlib, courtesy of DonutKing. I always wondered as a kid what the Adlib option was in game’s sound menus, but that was probably ’92 or so, by which time the Sound Blaster had blasted them out of the market. It’s perfect for this humble little machine, and just the thing for playing Keen, Prince of Persia, etc.

IMG_4561_zpse186ebf2.jpg

IMG_4566_zps4188560b.jpg

IMG_4570_zps39012ccd.jpg

Reply 26 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another sound upgrade for this machine, this time to a Sound Blaster 1.5 (CT-1320C). It’s a handsome card and getting relatively collectable, but I bought it for the sole purpose of experiencing CMS firsthand. I do have a Sound Blaster 2.0 but it’s the wrong revision for easily upgrading to CMS, so when the 1.5 came along for a reasonable price I snagged it.

The first couple of Philips SAA1099P chips I had turned out to be duds – one produced nothing but a nasty crackle (even when not in use) and the other was clearly second hand and so fragile the legs were literally falling off. Another visit to our Chinese friends via eBay secured me 4 new ones, which turned out to be clones when they finally showed up (branded ‘NXP’), but they were actually new this time and seem to work fine.

I really like the CMS sound, it reminds me of the Commodore 64’s SID. Very melodic and very “computer game”. Silpheed for example is greatly enhanced by its CMS tunes, and now my little 286 supports 3 sound standards – wow! 4 if you include PC speaker 😀

DSCN0302_zps0be00ee3.jpg

DSCN0306_zps73544495.jpg

DSCN0310_zps1d7302d2.jpg

Reply 29 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BuuBox wrote:

Nice 286. The case is great.

What games do you play on it?

I haven't played games much yet to be honest, I've probably spent more time messing around with the old DOS word processors that it had on the HDD when I got it - I have a thing for word processors 😜

I'll break out some early King's Quest on it one day.

Reply 30 of 110, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't seen this one before... Great setup! Clean and neat as usual. Considering sound, there's also a Covox solution, period-correct and craftable.

btw, I got the exact same hard drive extracted from 286-12 machine. Redhill hardware guy wrote about it: http://www.redhill.net.au/d/16.php
It is very interesting construction-wise, it has only one disk and is small yet full-height with these strange mounting brackets under the drive. When it comes to speed, I guess it is as good as a period-correct 286 could get.

Reply 31 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally got around to benchmarking this machine as per the request of a member here. The following benchmarks were run:

- 3dbench (version 1.0 not 1.0c)
- Norton Sysinfo 8 - CPU
- Checkit 3 - CPU, Video, HDD
- NSSI - CPU
- Pmips

And the following results were achieved:

3dbench:

CheckIt

Main System Benchmark:
CPU Turbo ON (16MHz): 11.20 times IBM PC-XT
CPU Turbo OFF (~8MHz): 5.64 times IBM PC-XT
Math Turbo ON: 11.35 times IBM PC-XT
Math Turbo OFF: 5.59 times IBM PC-XT

Video:
BIOS Video CPS: 9.19 times IBM PC-XT
Direct Video CPS: 9.87 times IBM PC-XT

HDD:
Transfer speed: 5.20 times IBM PC-XT

Norton SI:
Computing Index (CI), relative to IBM/XT: 17.6
Disk Index (DI), relative to IBM/XT: 5.2
Performance Index (PI), relative to IBM/XT: 13.4

PMIPS

General Mix: 1.7
Integer: 1.9
Data Transfer: 3.6
String: 1.8
Control Transfer: 1.6
Flag Control: 4.6
Logical: 2.0
Jump: 2.7
Weighted Average: 2.6

NSSI:

CPU Performance: ~3960 Dhrystones (this result jumps around)
FPU Performance: 554 KWetstones

Not bad results for a 286 from what I can tell (some of the bencharks compare the results to 386, etc). I'm currently using a Tseng ET4000AX VGA card in this machine but I'm thinking of swapping that out for a card with better CGA compatibility, just for fun. In saying that, I probably won't. This machine hasn't seen the light of day since I finished restoring it - I just never seem to find an excuse to use it.

Anyway, I hope these results are of interest.

Reply 35 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

Thanks for the benchmark results 😉

My pleasure! I've had a good play with it now that it's out of storage. I'm in the process of improving its CGA compatibility with help from this excellent thread. Good times 😎

Reply 36 of 110, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice 286 ! Mine is up and running as well, previous issues were discussed here.

Take a look at the Mem card in my Packard Bell.. could use it to boost yourself to 2MB RAM or higher if you wanted.

Packard Bell Legend VI (Issues now)

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 38 of 110, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great 286 Machine, i wish i had one like this too 😀
The Adlib Card is something i never had.
I had a Sound Galaxy SGBXII in my 386SX long time Ago.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 39 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the kind comments.

One thing that's bothering me is that it's floppy only for getting files onto this machine. I've considered the Gotek but I don't like the aesthetics of them; I have a spare IDE->CF adapter lying around so I might try that out as slave HDD. Hopefully the BIOS is up to the challenge.

I've been having a ball messing around with a couple of different ISA VGA cards. I've settled on a Trident 8900C, which outputs a very handsome VGA image and emulates CGA very nicely too - including CGA's 60Hz refresh rate.

One thing that I found interesting was that Double Dragon runs way too fast in VGA mode - even with turbo off - but when I put the Trident into CGA mode and run the game, it plays at the correct speed. Why would this be? Were some older games coded to rely on refresh rate?