VOGONS

The Little Tandy That Could

Topic actions

First post, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Figured I'd continue the 286 trend and finally post my RLX specs...

Behold! The (almost) MPC-compliant Tandy 1000!

rlxf_s.jpg

rlxr_s.jpg

rlxl_s.jpg

It slices! It dices! It's totally silent! It's Wi-Fi Ethernet and VoIP connected! It can read CD-RW discs!

SuperTANDY RLX

Ready to get its phreak on!

Secret Sauce
CPU: AMD 286 @ 10MHz
MEMORY: 640K base, 384K extended
STORAGE: 1.44MB 3.5" floppy, Trantor T-130B SCSI > Microtech PCD-47B > 2 x 1GB SanDisk CompactFlash, Panasonic KXL-RW10A CD-ROM
VIDEO: Accumos AVGA1 (256K)
AUDIO: Tandy PSSJ-3 (SN76496 core w/enhancements + DAC)

NETWORK: Xircom PE2-10BT ethernet (parallel) > ASUS WL-330N mobile router, Diamond SupraSonic 336V+ modem (serial) > netTALK Duo WiFi
GAME: Built-in, 2 x 8-pin DIN

rlxmb_s.jpg
One ISA slot (thanks, Tandy!)... But hey, almost everything is already built-in, so...

mt_s.jpg

rw10_s.jpg

xirasu_s.jpg

ssnt_s.jpg

hardcore_s.jpg

Reply 1 of 23, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, now that is awesome. I am scared to think what you could do with a 386!

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does KQ6 run on a V20? My XT might like to give it a shot. I only have the floppy verison though...

Very nice RLX by the way.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 23, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squareguy wrote:

I am scared to think what you could do with a 386!

This.

rsx_s.jpg

Anonymous Coward wrote:

Does KQ6 run on a V20?

Based on the other Sierra titles that you tested, I imagine it will work, albeit very slowly. 😀

rgart wrote:

How does KQ6 CD run on a 10mhz machine?

Remarkably well. I don't have a whole lot of patience for slowness, and wouldn't have played through the game just to say it could be done otherwise, but with the detail slider pulled all the way down (limiting extraneous animation), speed was never an issue, and that was with full voice/sound-effect playback and 3-voice music to boot. That said, the introductory movie playback is a bit more than the system can sensibly handle.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Try Wolf3D on it!

Wolf3D works great on this system, in full-screen glory even, but lacks support for the built-in audio capabilities (other than the PC speaker), meaning I have to plug in the Disney Sound Source. Now, if Wolf3D had included Covox or LPT-DAC support instead, it could be easily made to work with the built-in hardware... Which reminds me... I should record a video of Pinball Fantasies on this system... 😀

Reply 7 of 23, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*These days, the storage is mostly in the cloud but this time, Cloud was in the storage*
...and returns with a work of art.
Hats off!

Last edited by Jolaes76 on 2013-10-03, 06:52. Edited 1 time in total.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 11 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cloudschatze wrote:
Figured I'd continue the 286 trend and finally post my RLX specs... […]
Show full quote

Figured I'd continue the 286 trend and finally post my RLX specs...

Behold! The (almost) MPC-compliant Tandy 1000!

It slices! It dices! It's totally silent! It's Wi-Fi Ethernet and VoIP connected! It can read CD-RW discs!

SuperTANDY RLX

Ready to get its phreak on!

Secret Sauce
CPU: AMD 286 @ 10MHz
MEMORY: 640K base, 384K extended
STORAGE: 1.44MB 3.5" floppy, Trantor T-130B SCSI > Microtech PCD-47B > 2 x 1GB SanDisk CompactFlash, Panasonic KXL-RW10A CD-ROM
VIDEO: Accumos AVGA1 (256K)
AUDIO: Tandy PSSJ-3 (SN76496 core w/enhancements + DAC)

NETWORK: Xircom PE2-10BT ethernet (parallel) > ASUS WL-330N mobile router, Diamond SupraSonic 336V+ modem (serial) > netTALK Duo WiFi
GAME: Built-in, 2 x 8-pin DIN

One ISA slot (thanks, Tandy!)... But hey, almost everything is already built-in, so...

Is that floppy drive with the blue eject button from an IBM PS/1?

Reply 12 of 23, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

That Vaio setup looks amazing! Any more information on it?

Eh, there's not much to tell. The 1000 RSX is pretty generic feeling, as far as Tandy systems go, and is more appropriately a member of the 2500-series besides (one of which uses the same motherboard), given that it only includes a single carry-over from the 1000-series - the PSSJ-3 chip. Unfortunately, due to its AT-class architecture, the sound ports were all changed so as to not conflict with the addressing of the second DMA channel, breaking the "Tandy" sound support for any software not designed to query for, or reference, the changed ports.

It's still an okay 386 system though. In the pictured configuration, I'd upgraded the 25MHz CPU with a REV-to-486 upgrade, maxed-out the RAM to 9MB, swapped the 52MB hard-drive with a 340MB IBM MicroDrive, and installed a GUS PnP and Media Vision Memphis (PAS-16 compatible) interface in the two ISA slots. The Memphis CD-ROM unit is pictured on top of the system, and its corresponding Bose speakers flank the monitor. (They're not at all related to the VAIO monitor itself, but just happen to be of matching color.)

It's got just enough horsepower to run Microsoft Bob on Windows 3.1. 😀

I'm constantly vacillating between keeping the RSX, and letting it go. I simply don't use it with any sort of consistency. At present, it's sitting on a shelf with the complementary pairing of a Yamaha SW20-PC and SW60XG installed in the ISA slots, doing absolutely nothing.

sliderider wrote:

Is that floppy drive with the blue eject button from an IBM PS/1?

The look is pretty similar, but no, it's stock. I suppose Tandy felt like they were being clever by using buttons with rounded corners. 😀

Reply 13 of 23, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:
squareguy wrote:

I am scared to think what you could do with a 386!

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Try Wolf3D on it!

Wolf3D works great on this system, in full-screen glory even, but lacks support for the built-in audio capabilities (other than the PC speaker), meaning I have to plug in the Disney Sound Source. Now, if Wolf3D had included Covox or LPT-DAC support instead, it could be easily made to work with the built-in hardware... Which reminds me... I should record a video of Pinball Fantasies on this system... 😀

Aren't the Covox and the Disney Sound Source essentially the same thing though, or does it specifically expect something to be plugged into LPT-1?

Reply 14 of 23, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I was a bit confused by the photoshopped nature (i.e. no visible cables) of that image. 😀 The Vaio-branded Trinitron was indeed what caught my eye, not the Tandy. Do you happen to have the whole set for it, and does the CRT hold up well? Certainly the Bose speakers look like they were just made for it...

Reply 15 of 23, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Aren't the Covox and the Disney Sound Source essentially the same thing though, or does it specifically expect something to be plugged into LPT-1?

The latter, mostly. The DSS has a little bit of intelligence built around its FIFO buffer and power-state registers, and can be queried by software. Anything specifically programmed for the DSS, like Wolf3D, will not work with a plain Covox or LPT-DAC.

The way Covox "support" works in a PSSJ-bearing Tandy system is to simply set the DAC to direct-write mode, and then update the BIOS address for the LPT port with the DAC address. Jeffery Hayes' "SETDAC" utility does this beautifully, creating what is essentially an internal LPT-DAC.

d1stortion wrote:

Actually I was a bit confused by the photoshopped nature (i.e. no visible cables) of that image. 😀 The Vaio-branded Trinitron was indeed what caught my eye, not the Tandy. Do you happen to have the whole set for it, and does the CRT hold up well?

It's a pretty poor, 90's-esque Photoshop job, to be sure. 😀 But, to my credit, the cables were actually tie-wrapped to the back of the desk frame tubing where possible, mostly hiding them from view.

I'm not sure which system the monitor originally belonged to, I'm afraid; it was just a cheap thrift-shop find. I'm not sure what the use scenario was in its former life, but the picture quality today is excellent.

Reply 17 of 23, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I see. Since Wolf3D's engine is open-source, would it be possible to rewrite the sound code to support a simple LPT-DAC?

I don't see why not. I am also not a programmer though. 😀

Reply 18 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I see. Since Wolf3D's engine is open-source, would it be possible to rewrite the sound code to support a simple LPT-DAC?

I don't see why not. It's already been rewritten to run on 8088/8086.

Reply 19 of 23, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a brief video of Pinball Fantasies on this system, in hi-res mode, and with the sound quality set to medium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pefigBodhvU

I am not a pinball wizard.