VOGONS

Slot 1 Intel 440Bx Build

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Are you still using that same PSU? I had one from the same brand and it was really cheaply built

No,i,m using another psu,the 1 in the picture had swollen caps,i recovered the good caps and the fan from it and binned the rest.

Reply 41 of 44, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Holering wrote:

That's a nice looking Soyo mobo you got there.

Agreed. Neat system overall. I always saw those translucent teal "Apple wannabe" cases back then, but never actually bought one myself - now they're kind of becoming a curiosity in their own right (don't see them very often anymore).

Curiosity: does that Pentium 2 actually need the cooling fan if you aren't overclocking it?

Reply 42 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought the case as a used product,not so much becouse of the looks,but becouse it's spacious and has the psu mounted horizontaly,back in 2000-2001 i had an atx case which had the psu mounted vertically parallel with the motherboard,covering the cpu area and making acces to the cpu hard,plus u had to be carefull about how tall the cpu cooler and fan was,so it would fit.

Curiosity: does that Pentium 2 actually need the cooling fan if you aren't overclocking it?

Haven't tried running it without the fan,i need to install some monitoring program to work on windows 98se,so i can monitor temperatures from windows.
Will an older version of motherboard monitor work?

Reply 43 of 44, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cpus of that era don't have an integrated thermal sensor, so whatever reading you get is from a motherboard sensor, which is faaaar away from cpu.
Totally unreliable in other words. I would strongly recommend against running it fanless unless you have these big passive slot1 coolers aaand a case fan right behind it, extracting the heat out of the case.

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 44 of 44, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
Holering wrote:

That's a nice looking Soyo mobo you got there.

Agreed. Neat system overall. I always saw those translucent teal "Apple wannabe" cases back then, but never actually bought one myself - now they're kind of becoming a curiosity in their own right (don't see them very often anymore).

I HAD ONE !!! For a little while then sold it. I wanted to build hackintosh with it and get the matching apple teal green keyboard, and then some how find a matching monitor, i even found matching power strip/surge protector. 🤣