VOGONS

Dual Socket A monster

Topic actions

First post, by kokornov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Built just for fun. I have no idea what to do with it.

Specs:
-2xAthlon MP2800+ (Barton core, 512k L2) chilled by Glacialtech Igloo 2461 Light
-Asus A7M266-D board rev. 1.04 (working USB because of AMD-768 southbridge rev. B2)
-4x1gb DDR PC2100 registered DRAM with ECC, made by Samsung for HP (sadly the timings are not too tight: CL=2.5. Also stacked DRAM ICs are used on these modules.)
-Matrox G550 32mb G55+MDHA32DB
-Promise TX2000 RAID controller (not in use at the moment, i want to convert its IDE ports to dual SATA using these converters) in PCI-64 slot
-Intel PRO/1000 MT single port gigabit NIC in PCI-64 slot
-TP-Link RTL8139D NIC in PCI-32 slot
-Belkin F5U220 USB2.0 controller (NEC uPD720101 chip) in PCI-32 slot
-Some noname NEC uPD720101-based USB2.0 controller in PCI-32 slot. I can't decide what to replace it with.

-Seagate ST3160815A 160GB ATA100 HDD (single-platter)
-TEAC DV-W516GDM DVD-RW drive
-Some Mitsumi 3.5 inch floppy drive

System is powered by 300W PowerMan PSU with 30A on +5v and 15A on +12v rail. The PSU has 6-pin AUX connector. Not sure if the power amount is enough for that system.

397e79f2b238t.jpg
ddb2901500a9t.jpg
de852a6bd0d1t.jpg

Reply 2 of 21, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

replace the g550 with a voodoo5, and you have my Quake 3 machine. ^.^ As for the power supply, use a "new" one. That board uses 12v to power the cpu's, so a new supply is better than an old one.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 21, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a dual Athlon MP setup also, it is currently install in an Inwin full tower Q500 case. I just use it as an old retro CAD station (AGP Pro comes in handy for that).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 4 of 21, by kokornov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

replace the g550 with a voodoo5, and you have my Quake 3 machine. ^.^ As for the power supply, use a "new" one. That board uses 12v to power the cpu's, so a new supply is better than an old one.

Are you sure? The board has 6 phases in CPU DC-DC. Half of them draws power from +5v rail and the other half is powered from +12v rail.

Reply 5 of 21, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kokornov wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Are you sure? The board has 6 phases in CPU DC-DC. Half of them draws power from +5v rail and the other half is powered from +12v rail.

Just hunt down an old Enermax Noise Taker psu as they have very good 5v source and can handle decent 12v loads.

The only socket A board that I got but yet to complete the build is this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813151116
Need to find just the right case for it.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kokornov wrote:

Maybe use it as your everyday computer? The fastest computer I use today is still a dual 1.4 GHz Tualatin. I'd imagine your Athlon MP is quite a bit faster.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 21, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kokornov wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Where did you get this information? It does not make sense to make a device that draws power from 2 different sources @ 2 different voltages.

feipoa wrote:
kokornov wrote:

Maybe use it as your everyday computer? The fastest computer I use today is still a dual 1.4 GHz Tualatin. I'd imagine your Athlon MP is quite a bit faster.

MEH, mine was just fine, but still not quite powerful enough to play flash in fullscreen. At least not without help from a video card. Voodoo 5 will NOT help in that department.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 21, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
kokornov wrote:

... The board has 6 phases in CPU DC-DC. Half of them draws power from +5v rail and the other half is powered from +12v rail.

Where did you get this information? It does not make sense to make a device that draws power from 2 different sources @ 2 different voltages.

Sounds weird but I think Kokornov is right.

asusa7m266d-5.jpg . . 1020279141.jpg

Let the air flow!

Reply 9 of 21, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

MEH, mine was just fine, but still not quite powerful enough to play flash in fullscreen. At least not without help from a video card. Voodoo 5 will NOT help in that department.

Even on a current quad core CPU an old and slow video card will cause horrendous tearing with Flash videos. Seen this first hand.

Reply 10 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Even on a current quad core CPU an old and slow video card will cause horrendous tearing with Flash videos. Seen this first hand.

Yeah you really need at least D3D 9 support or Flash video playback becomes horribly inefficient. Some old video cards can barely handle even non-Flash video playback, even if a proper video output mode is used. 🤣

Reply 11 of 21, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems a bit more complicated than that... current versions of Flash seem to disregard D3D9 cards entirely for acceleration believe it or not. At least I believe ATi AVIVO offers support for H.264 decoding yet Youtube displays software decoding&rendering for all vids on a X1950 Pro card. A D3D10 card on Windows XP will provide acceleration for some reason though.

I did some crazy experimenting with my old Geforce 6500 card on my current PC a while ago and that is how I noticed the tearing thing. Even though in theory a graphics card should mostly just act as a framebuffer in the case of software rendering there seems to be some 2D processing work left to be done which ancient cards can't keep up with, especially on a 1080p target resolution. Hence a X1950 Pro won't accelerate Flash either but at least will play the video smoothly given a sufficient CPU.

Reply 12 of 21, by kokornov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Where did you get this information?

I measured the input voltage of every phase.

At first I wanted to use Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB instead of Matrox. But with this card system hangs up during POST when it starts to count available system memory. The only possibility to get it working was to remove 4th gig of RAM. I think there is some problem with BIOS and memory allocation. Looks like MSI K7D Master had the same problem, but it was corrected in latest BIOS from 2012-08-13 (according to it's description).

Reply 13 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kokornov wrote:

The only possibility to get it working was to remove 4th gig of RAM. I think there is some problem with BIOS and memory allocation. Looks like MSI K7D Master had the same problem, but it was corrected in latest BIOS from 2012-08-13 (according to it's description).

I've encountered similar issues on other boards with RAM reaching the usable limit. Did you try disabling any PCI Option ROM's for slots which are not used? This frees up allocation space for system memory and helped with a similar issue I had.

What happens if you disable all PCI and Option ROMs and just leave the graphics card inserted?

Reply 15 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you do not disable the PCI Option ROM's, the system will act the same without any add-on cards. Did you disable the Option ROM's?

Reply 17 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps your BIOS enables the ROM option automatically based on if a card is inserted or not. You may need to custom modify your BIOS, either with one of those BIOS mod programs, or via disassembling the code itself.

Reply 18 of 21, by kokornov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try to remove option ROM module from BIOS. Currently i can't find a suitable version of CBROM (tried different versions of CBROM/CBROM32 and aslo ACBROM 2.08). Did someone edit BIOS ROM on Asus boards? What CBROM did you use?

Also i can't make the DVI out on Radeon 9800 pro work. I've connected two monitors at once (because i've heard that sometimes there are problems with DVI before Windows started), but Catalyst Control Center only detects monitor connected to VGA D-Sub. AFAIK the monitor is detected using DDC channel (DDC Clock, DDC Data and +5v pins in DVI connector). The +5v is present. What could be the problem?

EDIT: found dead transistor on DVI DDC Data path. Fixed DVI by moving same transistor from VGA DDC Data path.

Reply 19 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which version of CBROM do you need? I have 130, 132, 182, 195, 196, 198, 201, and 606. When I extracted my original.tmp from an AWARD 4.51PG BIOS, only two of those CBROM versions worked. You probably have a newer BIOS. Which versions have you tried?