VOGONS

First post, by RepoOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This system has been my main project for a while, with my goal being to make a pretty awesome late-90s Windows 98 gaming machine. When it came to me, as a donation from a friend whose computer I was fixing, it was equipped with a modest Celeron 300A (non-overclocked), 64MB RAM, an ATI Xpert 98 card, and a YMF719 Yamaha sound card. This was obviously no gaming rig.

So, I beefed it up a bit, or at least as far as the motherboard (and my insistence that the parts in the machine remain pre-2000) would allow. Threw a Voodoo 3 in it for 3DFX compatibility, a bunch of assorted RAM I had lying around, a $5 CPU upgrade, and an A3D sound card that would be typical for the era. Now it's my main system for Win9x gaming, and can handle most games from 1997-2000.

Pictures:
YLWR7Wl.jpg
bkdvnSY.png
fyHKOyb.jpg

Specs:
Mainboard: Shuttle HOT-637 440LX PCISet
CPU: Intel Celeron 400 (Mendocino Core)
RAM: 160MB (mixed PC66 and PC100 SDRAM)
Video: 3DFX Voodoo 3 3000D
Hard Drive: 6GB
Sound Card: AZTECH 338-A3D (Aureal Vortex 1)

Benchmark Results:
Unreal Timedemo (640x480x16) = 39.7FPS
9bPeunN.png

I would overclock it, but I can't find any info about where the FSB jumpers on the mainboard are. The 440LX is the limiting factor at this point.

The next upgrade that I'm going to put in it is almost certainly a larger hard drive, though anything less than 32GB (requirement due to BIOS bug) is somewhat hard to find.

Last edited by RepoOne on 2013-11-21, 05:06. Edited 1 time in total.