VOGONS

Windows 95 machine ver 3.0

Topic actions

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well, i've gone through three builds so far in creating my 196-98 era win95 machine but with the possible exception of video card I think i'm finally done.

my first build was using a AT board and a small case, it was a little underpowered IMO and very cramped. The second build used a PII and was nice except that the motherboard had one dead ps/2 port and the case had a few issues (used rails which I only had 2 and the cover didn't fit properly)

so here is the most likly final specs for my machine

motherboard: Intel E139761
CPU: Pentium II 350mhz (bumped up from 300mhz in 2.0 build)
RAM: 384MB SDRAM
ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP (changed from Virge/GX in 2.0)
Rightous Orchid Voodoo 1
Creative DRX2 DVD card
AWE64 Gold + mem expansion
AHA-2940W SCSI card and a 7200rpm 9.1GB SCSI hard drive
Iomega ZIP 100mb drive

This particular MB also only supports 1 floppy drive in BIOS so to get around that I replaced my 1.44mb floppy drive with a LS-120 drive which reads/writes 1.44mb/720K floppies faster anyways.
along with the DVD drive I also added an NEC multi CD changer drive. I thought it was a neat addition and made some sence since a lot of those early CD-ROM Win games came on multiple CD's

p1xd.jpg

2wf7.jpg

The only thing i'm probably going to change is the video card. the ATI was kind of a place holder. I wanted to use a card that had a proprietary API since that was kinda a "thing" for the era and since the virge gx/2 did this at a reasonable speed as well as had good DOS compatibility I wanted to go with it. after having some odd conflict issues I was ready to try formatting and reinstalling then i though...meh. The ATI really is probably a better card plus the only real S3D exclusive i'd be interested in would be terminal velocity and Havoc and the gx2 does even do TV correctly. the V1 kinda satisfies my proprietary API need anyways. I still think the ATI is kinda "meh" though I am interested in the ATI version of wipeout.

considering going with a Riva 128 or an INTEL i740. or any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3dfx released the Banshee right at the very end of 1998, so one of those might work and still fit your 96-98 theme. I'm also wondering why you're not considering making this a V2 Sli rig instead of V1 since the V2 was also released in 1998.

Reply 2 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A most excellent suggestion and I did consider the V2 but id want to do sli and I'm out of slots. Also I'm building an sli V2 setup already with a g200 max in my tulatin PIII in order to justify holding on to the thing. I'll probably be using this rig for more stuff that wants a V1 anyways. I did read the thread on v1 games on a v2 which some involve batch files and patches and what not and really I just want the v1 games to "just work" without the fiddling around.

Reply 3 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thi thing drawing me to the Intel i740 besides it matching with the Intel board is ill be mostly playing period stuff on this so say 95-early 98. All the reviews for the i740 with the exception of vintage 3d say its a pretty lackluster card but I'm thinking it does suck for games from 98 up but paired with a v1 would make a great 95-97 card.

Reply 4 of 25, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Given that the deschutes 350 & 400 were released simultaneously, id go with either of the following;

8mb TNT
8mb V2
Banshee
G200

My Deschutes 400 was running the high-end parts of the era, ie: V2 12mb sli & 16mb TNT. Then I decided to go a Katmai 500 for that rig.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 5 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, as a matter of curiosity does anyone know what month the g200 was released? Also besides blood and reality into dreams for dos are there any windows v1 games that are not compatible with the v2? I think I can free up a PCI slot if I ditch the MEM expansion on the awe64 which I'll probably never take advantage of.

Reply 7 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soviet conscript wrote:

Hmm, as a matter of curiosity does anyone know what month the g200 was released? Also besides blood and reality into dreams for dos are there any windows v1 games that are not compatible with the v2? I think I can free up a PCI slot if I ditch the MEM expansion on the awe64 which I'll probably never take advantage of.

Anandtech has a review from August 1998, so it was probably released thereabouts or maybe became generally available a little later.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/189/3

Reply 8 of 25, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

soviet conscript,your rig is really nice.
I have a Pentium 2 rig too,but a funny thing is that while the motherboard is AT,I had to install it in my old ATX case (which housed a Pentium 4 previously,but I needed a AGP board,no matter what it was,it could have been even a 486,just to have a AGP slot! 😀) )because I didn't had any AT case!Thank god at least the motherboard has a 20pin ATX slot and I could use the PSU!
Here are the specs,if you want to know:
Pentium 2 350MHz CPU(stock frequency)
Luckystar 6BX2 ver1.0 motherboard (shares kinda same layout as my previous Slot1 AT board,an Acorp 6BX/VIA/ZX86 mobo,except the front panel is placed horizontally,and the battery is next to the AGP slot instead of next to the front panel,like on the previous board)
384MB RAM (I was surprised that it recognized the PC133 double sided 512MB RAM stick I hid in there,but probably recognized only 128MB of all the RAM)
2 CDROM drives (a BTE (part of Samsung corp BTW)CDRW IDE5224 drive and a ASUS CD writer that I need to give a good cleaning as it only recognizes certain CDs,not all of them)
400W ATX PSU (came with the case,and still holds strong!)
ATI Radeon 7000 (32MB VRAM,and it can even run Crazy Taxi 3,even though I'll play Oddworld the most on it)
Sound Blaster 16 Value (CT2770,if anyone is interested in it it uses a OPL chip,not OPL3 or anything else,and it dates back 1994)
160GB Samsung SP1603N (IDE,still trying to get XP SP3 on it using a USB pendrive and PLOP boot manager,seems I had made the USB wrong and it didn't see the EULA,even though it was there)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 9 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks for the tips. I think final specs will be a cpu bump to the 400mhz since its the contemporary of the 350mhz. for main video I'm going to go with a matrox g200 MAX. partly because I already have one but after some research it seems to of released mid 1998 so it fits with my time frame. I know the MAX probably came later but its really just a faster g200. the DOS capabilities kinda suck comparatively but i doubt I'll do to much DOS gaming on this rig and the picture quality is top notch.

I have mauled over the V2 option but I think i'll stick with the v1 to save space in the machine and hold with compatibility for old windows v1 games with the lowest hassle and save my v2 SLI setup for my 1.4ghz PIII tulatin win98/xp duel boot rig.

more semi related questions/observations on this subject though. the multi disc changer cd-rom just fascinates me. its hard to picture 4 cd's and the internal ability to shift them around in such a small space. also apparently there's even a 6 disc version! also as another matter of curiosity whats the highest CPU speed OEM "made for windows 95" machine you've ever come across? for me I think it was a IBM Aptivia with a 300mhz PII. it had the "made for win 95" sticker on it which I'm fairly sure was factory. my one friend was really surprised by it and said that was unusually fast for a win 95 machine. first time I ever really heard anyone refer to a PC as a "screamer" too.

the mpeg decoder card and 5 1/4 inch floppy are probably mostly useless on this machine but I feel it competes the image and spirit of what I was going for.

Reply 10 of 25, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
soviet conscript wrote:

for main video I'm going to go with a matrox g200 MAX. partly because I already have one but after some research it seems to of released mid 1998 so it fits with my time frame. I know the MAX probably came later but its really just a faster g200. the DOS capabilities kinda suck comparatively but i doubt I'll do to much DOS gaming on this rig and the picture quality is top notch.

I didn't know a G200 MAX existed. I thought they just got a die shrink later in production.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 11 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Forevermore wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

for main video I'm going to go with a matrox g200 MAX. partly because I already have one but after some research it seems to of released mid 1998 so it fits with my time frame. I know the MAX probably came later but its really just a faster g200. the DOS capabilities kinda suck comparatively but i doubt I'll do to much DOS gaming on this rig and the picture quality is top notch.

I didn't know a G200 MAX existed. I thought they just got a die shrink later in production.

it doesn't. all the video cards being thrown around i got confused. I do have a g400 MAX but its beyond the scope of this build. I do have a g200 though

Reply 12 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:
soviet conscript,your rig is really nice. I have a Pentium 2 rig too,but a funny thing is that while the motherboard is AT,I had […]
Show full quote

soviet conscript,your rig is really nice.
I have a Pentium 2 rig too,but a funny thing is that while the motherboard is AT,I had to install it in my old ATX case (which housed a Pentium 4 previously,but I needed a AGP board,no matter what it was,it could have been even a 486,just to have a AGP slot! 😀) )because I didn't had any AT case!Thank god at least the motherboard has a 20pin ATX slot and I could use the PSU!
Here are the specs,if you want to know:
Pentium 2 350MHz CPU(stock frequency)
Luckystar 6BX2 ver1.0 motherboard (shares kinda same layout as my previous Slot1 AT board,an Acorp 6BX/VIA/ZX86 mobo,except the front panel is placed horizontally,and the battery is next to the AGP slot instead of next to the front panel,like on the previous board)
384MB RAM (I was surprised that it recognized the PC133 double sided 512MB RAM stick I hid in there,but probably recognized only 128MB of all the RAM)
2 CDROM drives (a BTE (part of Samsung corp BTW)CDRW IDE5224 drive and a ASUS CD writer that I need to give a good cleaning as it only recognizes certain CDs,not all of them)
400W ATX PSU (came with the case,and still holds strong!)
ATI Radeon 7000 (32MB VRAM,and it can even run Crazy Taxi 3,even though I'll play Oddworld the most on it)
Sound Blaster 16 Value (CT2770,if anyone is interested in it it uses a OPL chip,not OPL3 or anything else,and it dates back 1994)
160GB Samsung SP1603N (IDE,still trying to get XP SP3 on it using a USB pendrive and PLOP boot manager,seems I had made the USB wrong and it didn't see the EULA,even though it was there)

thank you, but why XP? that machine screams win 98se (or lower). I think those specs seem a bit underpowered for XP. It meets the minimum requirements but that doesn't mean its going to run at anything enjoyable. maybe windows 2000 if your dead set on a "newer" OS? I think its a little lighter on requirements.

I'm liking my 95 rig now that I've got some issues sorted out with it. its a interesting period piece and it serves as a in between computer for my 486 and my slightly overpowered win 98se machine,,,both of them.

Reply 13 of 25, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

384MB RAM is way more than the minimum XP requires.(64MB)
Also,the Radeon 7000 came from a Athlon XP system and was running Crazy Taxi 3 and 3D games really good.(even tried Total Immersion Racing,and it ran really good,save for an audio problem,which was because of my soundcard.)
I chose XP not only because it's newer but Windows 2000,98 or anything lower would be ridiculous for me.
For the video card,I need to check if the HIS Radeon 9250 (128MB AGP)works.If it works,then it will replace the Radeon 7000.

Reply 14 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:
384MB RAM is way more than the minimum XP requires.(64MB) Also,the Radeon 7000 came from a Athlon XP system and was running Craz […]
Show full quote

384MB RAM is way more than the minimum XP requires.(64MB)
Also,the Radeon 7000 came from a Athlon XP system and was running Crazy Taxi 3 and 3D games really good.(even tried Total Immersion Racing,and it ran really good,save for an audio problem,which was because of my soundcard.)
I chose XP not only because it's newer but Windows 2000,98 or anything lower would be ridiculous for me.
For the video card,I need to check if the HIS Radeon 9250 (128MB AGP)works.If it works,then it will replace the Radeon 7000.

I dunno, that CPU is going to be a bottleneck regardless of the video card you have installed. are you just going to play older games on it? I just looked through a small pile of XP games I have and they all wanted at least a 1ghz Pentium 4 and most of that stuff wasn't even graphics intensive.

why would anything lower be ridicules? personally id forget the radeon and save it for a more powerful machine and by a $4-$10 card off ebay from the late 90's and have a nice windows machine.

Reply 15 of 25, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well,the games I would run date back 2003-2002,and were made for the Pentium 3,but I guess they could run on a Pentium 2 too.
Only the Oddworld games date back 1997-1998.

Reply 16 of 25, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
soviet conscript wrote:

I think final specs will be a cpu bump to the 400mhz since its the contemporary of the 350mhz.

Or u could get a p2-300 and oc to 450,thats what i did to have the fastest p2,since 450 mhz p2's are hard to find.

Reply 17 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

I think final specs will be a cpu bump to the 400mhz since its the contemporary of the 350mhz.

Or u could get a p2-300 and oc to 450,thats what i did to have the fastest p2,since 450 mhz p2's are hard to find.

I see them on eBay for under $10 pretty often. actually I just bought one for $6 shipped. the 450mhz was released a month or 2 past my self imposed deadline but...what the heck.

Reply 18 of 25, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can hide a Pentium 3 450MHz in the P2 CPU case and say it's a P2 450,nobody will know. 🤣

Reply 19 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:

You can hide a Pentium 3 450MHz in the P2 CPU case and say it's a P2 450,nobody will know. 🤣

🤣, no no, I'm done boosting the power. i'm setteling with my 450mhz PII.

my P3 fix is satisfied by my duel CPU P3 1.4ghz Tulatin I mentioned earlier.