VOGONS

Share your retro rig!

Topic actions

First post, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well people, I just thought I'd share my latest newly finished retro rig. Its been a while in the making as I've had to source out parts from all over the world via ebay and amazon but its finally finished and I thought I'd share it with everyone. Might give you guys/girls some ideas for your retro rig. Oh and I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone on Vogons that helped me with deciding on certain things like sound cards and getting everything configured properly. Anyway, here it is and don't forget to upload some specs/pics of your retro rig

Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Slot 1 Pentium II 450Mhz CPU (With Dual Fan Cooler)
Western Digital Caviar SE 120GB IDE Hard Drive
Kingston PC100 384mb SDRam (3 x 128mb)
Diamond V770U 32mb AGP Graphics Card (TNT2 Ultra)
Diamond Monster 3D II 12mb Voodoo 2 PCI 3D Accelerator Cards in SLI
Diamond Monster MX300 PCI Sound Card (For Windows 98SE)
Creative CT3900 Sound Blaster AWE 32 ISA Sound Card (With OPL and 28mb Upgrade)
Yamaha DB50XG Daughterboard (Attached to AWE 32 Waveblaster Header)
Gravis Ultrasound Classic Rev 3.7 ISA Sound Card (With 1mb Upgrade)
Coolermaster HAF Combat Case
Coolermaster 600Watt Thunder Power Supply
Sony MPF920 Floppy Drive
Sony DDU1615 DVD Rom Drive

This rig is built for maximum compatibility for most 90`s games. Didn't want to go too fast with the CPU as slowdown utility's like MoSlo don't work too well over 500Mhz. At least from my experience....

Oh and before anyone asks, no the front USB/Audio ports are not connected. Also to fit the AWE32/GUS Sound Cards in, I had to drill out the pivots holding the hard drive cage in (located at the bottom of the case) and remove the cage altogether. I then mounted the hard drive between the DVD Rom and Floppy drives using a hard drive bracket.

Attachments

• Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    861.45 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    853.75 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    855.24 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    818.19 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
Last edited by borgie83 on 2013-12-10, 12:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 46, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's mine.I'll post pictures later,since my tablet's battery is discharged at the moment.

Luckystar 6BX2 v1.0 Motherboard (AT form factor)
Intel Pentium II 350MHz CPU (Slot 1,stock frequency)
Samsung Spinpoint SP1603N 160GB IDE HDD
Infineon 512MB PC133/Unknown 128MB PC133 RAM stick/Transcend 128MB PC133(Total 384MB RAM,the 512 stick is recognized as 128)
ASUS CRW-5224A/BTE IDE-5224 CD Writers (the BTE being actually a Samsung drive,I fixed the spindle by putting tape on it so discs won't grind)
ATI Radeon 7000 32MB AGP video card
Sound Blaster 16 ISA (CT2770)soundcard w/simple OPL chip (not OPL3 or anything else,just OPL it says)
Delux MT375 ATX case (yes,ATX,I don't have a AT case)
Delux ATX-400W P4 PSU(still holds strong!)
As opposed to you,since I have the mouse and KB on USB,I had to install the front USB ports.(the motherboard has ports for USB,right next to the COM ports and the KB port.
I plan running Windows XP SP3 Media Center Edition on it,since my old SP3 lite CD isn't liked by the BTE drive....the laser on it is good though,crystal clean.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 46, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That''s awesome borgie83, I like the idea of a retro rig in a modern case. I have a similar one, the Coolermaster K280 (for my modern rig), and it's very well built and robust.

Reply 3 of 46, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PcBytes I'd love to see photos of your rig. I recommend running windows 98 se though instead of windows xp given your cpu and ram. It'll run a lot faster as windows xp is more demanding. Plus you'll get a real dos instead of windows xp's command prompt. If you want to use windows xp, you could always dual boot on your modern rig and have windows 98 se on your retro rig 😀

Fantasma, I checked out your case on the coolermaster website. Yes they are very similar! Both are very well built and have good airflow. Modern cases offer much better cooling than the old beige ones which most of the time had closed sides, closed front and sometimes not even an exhaust fan. What's the specs of your retro rig?

Reply 4 of 46, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
borgie83 wrote:

Fantasma, I checked out your case on the coolermaster website. Yes they are very similar! Both are very well built and have good airflow. Modern cases offer much better cooling than the old beige ones which most of the time had closed sides, closed front and sometimes not even an exhaust fan. What's the specs of your retro rig?

Never bothered to post my rig here on System Specs, but now that you ask me, it'd be a good time to do so! I've built one at the beginning of this year for DOS/Windows 98 games, it consists of:

- K6-2 processor at 450 Mhz on a Soyo SY-5EHM motheboard, with 256 MB of RAM.
- GeForce MX440 (a bit overkill since I hardly run any 3d game).
- Two IDE HDDs, 20GB (for the OS and installed programs) and 80GB (for storage).
- Yamaha OPL3-SAx ISA soundcard, which does SB16/Adlib. I don't have a midi module or a daughterboard, but I can run some DOS games from Windows 98 through the S-YXG50 softsynth for General Midi. Gabriel Knight, Doom and Duke 3D sound great through this.
- Gravis Ultrasound Classic, rev. 3.7. I also made a shortcut that reboots the system in pure DOS and loads MT-32 emulation (with MEGA-EM).
- 100MB ZIP drive
- 3 1/2 FDD.
- 5 1/4 FDD. I bought it as new but I could never make it work. I left it there though, as I like the look.
- DVD drive
- USB support with the Windows 98 mass media storage drivers.
- The case is a regular beige AT, and yeah, everything seems a bit cramped in there.

I'll see if I can upload some pics later 😎

Reply 5 of 46, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

PcBytes I'd love to see photos of your rig. I recommend running windows 98 se though instead of windows xp given your cpu and ram. It'll run a lot faster as windows xp is more demanding. Plus you'll get a real dos instead of windows xp's command prompt. If you want to use windows xp, you could always dual boot on your modern rig and have windows 98 se on your retro rig 😀

I chose XP since I am going to use my old lite SP3 CD of XP.It's the same as 98 and it runs even faster.Plus,if I want to have that old 98 theme,I can use ineXPerience to make XP look like 2000,ME,98,95.(it sets the PC on classic theme and replaces the XP start menu logo with a 9x/2000 one)
Pictures are coming a little later since the tablet takes time until it charges.(I was at work,and I forgot to put it to charge)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 6 of 46, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

here my main retroPC:

th_IMG03090-20131210-2301_zps55d5a3b1.jpg th_IMG03089-20131210-2244_zpse0bb5ece.jpg

- p200 mmx
- HOT-591P via mvp3 based mobo
- 128mb ram
- riva128zx 8mb vga
- pci nic
- SB16 CT2230 with disabled mpu
- mpu401-at with a SCB-7 daughterboard and a bunch of external modules
- 120gb hdd dual-booting dos/98se
- 3.5" and 5.25" floppies and a dvd
all inside a classic baby-at case with a new ATX psu 😉

this setup is serving me very well 😁

I also have a 2nd retroPC for win98 games, pentium4 based with a live!, voodoo2 sli + GF6800GT ... the p1 machine is my favorite though 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 46, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@fantasma - the OPLSAx only does SB Pro, not 16.

keropi wrote:

here my main retroPC:

Wow what a great machine! My P1 is in a very similar case, see below. Specs are:

ASUS VX97 motherboard
32MB RAM
Matrox Mystique
Voodoo2
Sound Blaster 16 (CT2230) + NEC XR385
Roland SCC1

Using a new ATX PSU is a good idea - I have the adapter but haven't tried that yet. It's probably not a bad option for all my retro machines actually before the older style ATX PSU's get too hard to find.

IMG_3248_zps44c7057e.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8 of 46, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ thanks 😀 your system is a great system as well! classic setup and white! I envy the IBM keyboard next to it 😊

well, the 591P mobo I use accepts both atx and at psus... had to make one "sacrifice" though: no -5v line , I could not find a new atx psu that had one... (I do own a lapc-i 😁 )
the psu is a total overkill for this system, it's a CHIEFTEC GPA-450S8 IARENA SERIES 450W one, I chose it because it was 80+ and had a bunch of protections in it... 🤣 still better safe than sorry IMHO

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 46, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fantasma, how do you go playing late 80's to early 90's games using the MX440? Games like old Sierra titles or even commander keen. I always thought there would've been VESA issues? I do own a new in box Leadtek Winfast Geforce2 TI which I haven't used yet.

PcBytes, never heard of XP Lite. That still wouldn't have real dos though would it? Or are you dual booting with just say 6.22?

Keropi, nice!! I've searched for a SCB-7 everywhere. Never seems to be any that pop up on eBay. I do own a new in box MPU-401/AT as well as a MT-32 (Original version) and SC-55MKII which I'm planning on using in my next retro rig. Btw, with your Pentium 4 rig, did you ever manage to get dos sound working using your SBLive? Also does your Voodoo 2 SLI work well with your 6800GT? Was thinking about adding 2 Voodoo 2's to my Pentium 4 rig running an ATI X800 Pro.

BadMojo, what a beautiful case! I'd love to own one like that with a turbo button. I am building a Pentium 3 rig presently using a beige case but it's nowhere near as nice as yours 😀

I'll upload some pics/specs of my 2 other retro rigs, 1 of which is complete.

Reply 10 of 46, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ thanks!

personally I've been looking for a scb-55 everywhere 🤣 , can't seem to get one though atm... maybe I'll end up trading this boxed scb-7 ... really want something sc-55 mk2-ish
regarding the p4, I don't use DOS with it... I just build it so glide/win98 games run fast without framerate issues because of cpu power lack... the sli setup works well with the 6800GT, haven't found issues yet. Just problematic games that don't like fast systems or something, Blood2 comes to mind... it's a great game but won't work well with the 6800... and with the sli setup it still struggles with lame framerate 😲 , typical buggy code I suppose. :\
The system is a GA-8IK1100 (rev. 2.x) mobo with 512MB DDR1and a 2.4ghz p4 :

th_IMG01779-20130307-2258_zps6f13e499.jpg th_IMG01780-20130307-2259_zps79942946.jpg

Reply 11 of 46, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keropi, yeah finding old retro hardware in good physical and working condition is getting harder and harder to find. I suppose that's to be expected I guess. That's why when I see something pop up that I've been searching for I pay whatever price and then cry about it later! Haha anyway here is my Pentium 4 rig.

Asus P4P800 SE 478 motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 3.4Ghz 1Mb Cache CPU
Thermaltake TR2-M12 Cooler
Kingston HyperX DDR400 (2x512mb)
Asus ATI Radeon x800 Pro 256mb AGP Graphics Card
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 PCI Sound Card
Intel Pro GT 1000 Network Card
Aerocool Strike X Black Advanced Case
Aerocool Strike X 500Watt Power Supply
Aerocool Strike X Front Fan Control
Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB IDE Hard Drive
Samsung SH-S222 IDE DVD Drive
Sony MPF920 Floppy Drive
Dual Boot Windows 98 SE and Windows XP Pro

Attachments

• Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.03 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    899.41 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    888.61 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

Reply 12 of 46, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And my work in progress Socket 370 Pentium 3 rig.

Gigabyte GA-6VTXE A Motherboard
Intel Pentium 3 1.4Ghz CPU
Coolermaster EEP-N61SC-03-GP Cooler
Kingston 1GB SDRam (2x512mb)
Voodoo 3000 16mb AGP Graphics Card
Sound Blaster Live with Live Drive
Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold
Western Digital Caviar SE 120GB IDE Hard Drive
Panasonic Floppy Drive
Sony DVD Drive (Still waiting for this to come in)
Sony CD/RW Drive
Generic Beige Case

Still deciding on the PSU but I want it to be 80-85 rated. I also need to recap the motherboard. Also notice the Titan copper fan and copper heatsinks on the Voodoo 3. Really can't wait to finish this rig.

Attachments

• Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    931.89 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.25 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

Reply 14 of 46, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
^ thanks! […]
Show full quote

^ thanks!

personally I've been looking for a scb-55 everywhere 🤣 , can't seem to get one though atm... maybe I'll end up trading this boxed scb-7 ... really want something sc-55 mk2-ish
regarding the p4, I don't use DOS with it... I just build it so glide/win98 games run fast without framerate issues because of cpu power lack... the sli setup works well with the 6800GT, haven't found issues yet. Just problematic games that don't like fast systems or something, Blood2 comes to mind... it's a great game but won't work well with the 6800... and with the sli setup it still struggles with lame framerate 😲 , typical buggy code I suppose. :\
The system is a GA-8IK1100 (rev. 2.x) mobo with 512MB DDR1and a 2.4ghz p4 :

th_IMG01779-20130307-2258_zps6f13e499.jpg th_IMG01780-20130307-2259_zps79942946.jpg

Nice PCs! Actually, Blood 2 runs just fine on my Core Quad with HD5670 videocard and windows 7.

Reply 15 of 46, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My XG-DLS rig, specs in the sig. Here's the original thread in case you're interested in some of the history of that build. My Ongoing Retro Rig Project - Xeon Prime
Got a few other things in the works as well, but nothing completed yet.

17042013779.jpg

17042013721.jpg

17042013742.jpg

17042013797.jpg

A-Trend FW6400GX based build
h7fn.jpg

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 16 of 46, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

M1919, great having a read about the history of your rig. You've done well! Do you find the CPUs get hot with passive cooling? I'm still in 2 minds about if I should buy a Slot 1 Pentium III 1Ghz 100FSB cpu for my next SE440BX-2 build. I've read in several threads that it isn't recognised although some say it is. Some say there's issues due to voltage. Don't want to throw down $100 to end up with the cpu I cannot use.

Reply 17 of 46, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last time I ran this machine, the Xeons were running around 45-50C. If you don't have good airflow running over them, you'll have problems. The 1Ghz Xeon probably runs even cooler.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 18 of 46, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@borgie83

yeah, it's a Zalman cooler with a knob to adjust rpms... the 2.4ghz p4 is running cool 😀
I have also replaced the stock 6800GT cooler with an AC Accelero X1 one, the original was noisy...

@RacoonRider

lucky! I get all sorts of problems with Blood2... I own the original release and the GOG one (that I got in hopes it fixes stuff...) , updates/cracks/workarounds don't help much on my systems, maybe it's an nvidia thing :\
On the p4 using the 6800GT I get no OSD , screen flashes and crashes 🤣