VOGONS

Simple XP rig

Topic actions

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since my Netvista build was OEM and,obiviously was having a BIOS lacking features,I thought making it a better machine.
Here's the specs:

MB:Lucky Star 6BX2 v1.0 (new BIOS,BD2-18,older one was BD2-17)
Network card:Realtek 8139D (PCI,and it's small and cute)
Video card:ATI Radeon 7000,32MB,AGP
Soundcard:Sound Blaster 16 Value (SB16 Value,CT2770,uses OPL chip)
CD ROM:Samsung IDE-5224RW
HDD:
Primary:Seagate ST310211A 10GB
Secondary:WDC Protege,8GB
CPU:Intel Pentium 2 350MHz
Case:Delux MT375
PSU:Delux 400W ATX-P4
System:Windows XP Professional SP2(HP OEM,runs pretty fast!)
RAM:384MB PC133(one stick is 512MB but system recognizes only 128MB of it)

It runs pretty fast.It can't run Youtube though,but it surfs internet without a problem.At the moment the only game I have installed is Abe's Oddysee,but I plan adding Ford Racing 2,Ford Racing 3 and Total Immersion Racing.No pics of the rig because my tablet's USB cable broke.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 44, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Half-Saint wrote:

Pentium II 350 sounds a bit slow for XP especially on less than 512MB of RAM.

My thoughts as well. Also, XP will preclude you from running any DOS games, most of which will run beautifully on that CPU. On the other hand, anything older than XP will preclude you from playing with newer applications (browsers, etc.). A 98SE/XP dual boot might come in handy.

Also (to the OP): have you tried any Linux flavors yet? That machine should work nicely with Lubuntu or SliTaz.

PCGames9505

Reply 3 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

(SB16 Value,CT2770,uses OPL chip)

not much point when it's on XP...

overall this is one of the worst 'xp' machines i've seen, even the Radeon 7000 is very prohibitive for gaming potential, and we know this "runs fast" is all bluffing. Give it a month of use and it won't. 512MB RAM won't save it, no matter if it's PC100 or 133. Especially with this problem being on the rise.

Windows 2000, maybe... but even that's a bad idea due to the lack of DOS gaming and browsers that regress that platform...

I generally save the NTs for the faster ISA-less machines and keep my Pentium IIs as dedicated W9X boxes.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 44, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that looks more like a Win98 machine to me.....

it won't run WinXP era games well at all (even the earliest ones like RTCW or Warcraft 3 needed a 600Mhz+ PIII to run well) and frankly the games this would run , would be better on Win98.

Reply 7 of 44, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
not much point when it's on XP... […]
Show full quote
PcBytes wrote:

not much point when it's on XP...

overall this is one of the worst 'xp' machines i've seen, even the Radeon 7000 is very prohibitive for gaming potential, and we know this "runs fast" is all bluffing. Give it a month of use and it won't. 512MB RAM won't save it, no matter if it's PC100 or 133. Especially with this problem being on the rise.

Windows 2000, maybe... but even that's a bad idea due to the lack of DOS gaming and browsers that regress that platform...

I generally save the NTs for the faster ISA-less machines and keep my Pentium IIs as dedicated W9X boxes.

Leleilol is right, these specs would much better suit a 98 box than an XP box. Windows 2000 would probably run fine though.

Reply 8 of 44, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

and we know this "runs fast" is all bluffing.

First,I NEVER ever run Windows Update (because of Genuine activation update and because it slows down,thus I will disable it)
Second,it really runs fast,and I don't lie AT ALL.It would run slow if I would have either go for XP SP3 or use a really old 8GB drive from,let's say,HP because of being old and not made for XP.(generally 8GB HDDs are not good for XP,that's why a 10GB drive or larger one is better,they run faster)
Also,I plan on upgrading the CPU to a Pentium 3 450MHz and OC it to at least 550MHz-600MHz.Just need to find my old P3.....

Reply 9 of 44, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to have XP SP1 on 300Mhz Mendocino notebook with 192 Mb RAM. German version, which was weird. It actually ran splendid, no stuttering whatsoever. But XP SP3 is often a disaster on Atom N270 or P4 2.2.

I have no idea why one would prefer XP over 98 on such a machine, but I do believe it works fine.

Reply 10 of 44, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did run XP on my old AMD k6-2 500mhz back in college and it ran acceptably. though I only did it at the time cause it was my only and fastest PC. It did okay for day to day web browsing but it wouldn't call it "fast".

Reply 11 of 44, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:

... I plan on upgrading the CPU to a Pentium 3 450MHz and OC it to at least 550MHz-600MHz ...

^ Much better. With 512MB or RAM at the least, even better for XP.

Let the air flow!

Reply 12 of 44, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I were running XP (there were no service packs at the time) on my P3-450 with 128 Mb.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 13 of 44, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't plan to explore the now fully bloated internet, it's good!
My father plays PSX games via epsxe every day at full speed on a PIII-500 with 192MB ram, Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB, and XP SP2.
He's happy with that!

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 14 of 44, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TELVM wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

... I plan on upgrading the CPU to a Pentium 3 450MHz and OC it to at least 550MHz-600MHz ...

^ Much better. With 512MB or RAM at the least, even better for XP.

Okay...I've hidden my old P3 450 in my P2 350MHz case and it boots....but it randomly freezes on POST,and is detected as a "PENTIUM II-MMX at 550MHz"CPU,even though it's a P3 450.Also,before doing this,as in the process of swapping the P2-350 CPU with the P3,the P2 CPU broke,so I had to resume to a P2 233.First time I ran XP with 128MB RAM and that CPU,it was crawling like 98 on a Pentium 2 without L2 cache on.Put back 384MB RAM back,and it ran like before.
Any fix for the freezing problem with the Pentium 3?

Reply 15 of 44, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

I did run XP on my old AMD k6-2 500mhz back in college and it ran acceptably. though I only did it at the time cause it was my only and fastest PC. It did okay for day to day web browsing but it wouldn't call it "fast".

Right... I find that even Windows 98SE on my K6-2 overclocked to 400MHz w/ 256MB of RAM runs poorly. I can't imagine how "fast" XP would be running...

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 16 of 44, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

Right... I find that even Windows 98SE on my K6-2 overclocked to 400MHz w/ 256MB of RAM runs poorly. I can't imagine how "fast" XP would be running...

Pretty weird that 98 ran slow on your K6-2.I ran XP SP2 on a Pentium 1 MMX at 233MHz and it ran fast.I had a 8GB drive though.It may depend how fast is your HDD I think,I had a old 1.7GB Seagate drive and it was running like a snail,despite the config being a AthlonXP wth 128MB RAM(DDR266,I didn't had any other DDR RAM at that time).
Even after,I had a PCChips M577 (that was pristine and in working condition,I miss it 😢 )that worked flawlessly with XP.

Reply 17 of 44, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Small update regarding the P2:
I have given up on the P3,coming to the conclusion (after checking Stason too)that this board doesn't support Slot 1 P3s.No biggie,I'll try to get myself another Pentium 2 CPU and hide it inside the old 350MHz P2 case,and run XP again.After all,if it will work fine,I'll leave it as it will be.

Reply 18 of 44, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

XP can run decently but without updates and no bloatware. I did a P1 mmx 3dfx rig with xp once and it gave decent results but was held back by the cpu more than anything else, the only big difference is that I cherry picked a drive that I knew performed well.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 19 of 44, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

I did a P1 mmx 3dfx rig with xp once and it gave decent results but was held back by the cpu more than anything else, the only big difference is that I cherry picked a drive that I knew performed well.

Well,you could have tried a K6-III+ CPU,it would have made a difference than the P1 MMX.