VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I spent all weekend moving into a new, larger apartment with the wife. I also emptied out my
storage unit so I have everything with me now at home. I was too tired from all the moving to
rebuild our bed (an ikea king-sized malm beast), but I found the energy to finally open up a few of
the machines I had been keeping in storage as I didn't have the time or space to go through them
until now 😀

I don't have pictures yet but eventually. These are all machines I picked up in that haul from a
friend's dad who had died and she wanted me to clean it out for her. There were several other
machines, including a 486 server with some kind of ZEOS motherboard but I'll deal with that one
later. The three below are all Dell Dimension XPS machines:

Machine 1: XPS H266

PII-266 with a MASSIVE heatsink on it. Not sure if that's stock or not.
Unknown ram, all 72-pin.
Matrox Millenium, not sure if it's a I or II
Awe64 CT-4380 (standard 1mb?)

Machine 2: XPS R450
PII-450
Unknown ram, SDRAM
STB V-128 (I think it's a Velocity 128 Riva based card not sure?)
Unknown Turtle Beach Vortex card. Likely Montego I/II but looks like an A3DXtream from pics I've
found online.

Machine 3: XPS T700r
PII-700
Unknown ram, SDRAM
3dfx card, likely v3-3000?
Same Turtle Beach Vortex card as above

All of the video/sound cards have dell part numbers on them so they all seem to either be stock or at least manufacturer upgraded.

I really want to get these plugged in and find out the specifics of what they are, but the
apartment is still a huge mess so it may be awhile before I can get my tables and such setup for
testing.

Either way, it's like a fun treasure hunt when you have machines that you haven't had a chance to
play with yet.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 1 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a shame those are Dells though, those often come with non-standard PSU's. Otherwise a Slot 1 board with SIMM slots would be interesting in a way.
Now that I mention it, I have a yet untested Slot 1 board which has 4 SIMM slots instead of SDRAM slots...hope it's not a Dell also 🤣!

But nice find otherwise! Please do share some pics with us tomorrow 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 14, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually really like the look of this generation of cases. As long as everything works, I may swap out my win95 machine for the H266. It's got onboard YMF711 with the OPL-4 daughterboard on special pins on the motherboard. May make a good general purpose DOS/Win95 machine.

Reply 3 of 14, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Otherwise a Slot 1 board with SIMM slots would be interesting in a way.

Supermicro did a such board I think.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4 of 14, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Otherwise a Slot 1 board with SIMM slots would be interesting in a way.

Supermicro did a such board I think.

All of the early Slot 1 boards had SIMM slots for EDO SIMMs - 440FX didn't work with SDRAM DIMMs. It was 440LX which brought DIMMs to the Pentium II.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 5 of 14, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would have cool if Intel made the 440BX chipset in a such way that it would have supported Socket 7 CPUs.Imagine the original Pentium 1 at 700MHz 🤣

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 6 of 14, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:

Would have cool if Intel made the 440BX chipset in a such way that it would have supported Socket 7 CPUs.Imagine the original Pentium 1 at 700MHz 🤣

The Pentium uses a totally different bus design, even at the architectural level (the Pentium uses one bus, the P6 family use the Dual Independent Bus design), so that would be impossible.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 7 of 14, by armankordi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GL1zdA wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

The Pentium uses a totally different bus design, even at the architectural level (the Pentium uses one bus, the P6 family use the Dual Independent Bus design), so that would be impossible.

Soo.... A Pentium Pro @633MHz? That ought to be something!

IBM PS/2 8573-121 386-20 DOS6.2/W3.1
IBM PS/2 8570-E61 386-16 W95
IBM PS/2 8580-071 386-16 (486DX-33 reply) OS/2 warp
486DX/2 - 66/32mb ram/256k cache/504mb hdd/cdrom/awe32/DOS6.2/WFW3.11
K6/2 - 350/128mb ram/512k cache/4.3gb hdd/cdr/sblive/w98

Reply 8 of 14, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
senrew wrote:

I actually really like the look of this generation of cases. As long as everything works, I may swap out my win95 machine for the H266. It's got onboard YMF711 with the OPL-4 daughterboard on special pins on the motherboard. May make a good general purpose DOS/Win95 machine.

I have the same system that I'm looking to revive as well..I especially like the yamaha sound built in that you mention...I have the same OPL-4 daughterboard as well.

Another cool thing about this pc, if it's true (I am still looking in to it), is that I heard somewhere that you can slow down this system, almost like using a turbo button by pressing control-alt-+ and -.....has anyone heard of this for the dell H266?

Reply 9 of 14, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pulled out another one of the machines I got in the same batch. This one is interesting...

Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
Core2 Quad Q6600 (unknown stepping)
4GB Kingston Hyper-X RAM
EVGA Geforce 9800GX2
various drives, blah blah

Was thinking of making this my uber XP machine. The thing was rebooting with a loud long beep. Unplugged everything and it turns out the stupid push pins for the 775 stock cooler snapped and the heatsink wasn't sitting on the cpu correctly. I managed to clean up the stock crap thermal paste and reattach it but I'll need a new cooler of some kind. Any suggestions on something cheap with a 4-pin fan plug? Not going to overclock this thing or anything.

Reply 10 of 14, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A tower cooler of some kind.
You say now that you will not overclock this rig...
That board is one of the best boards ever for socket 775 overclocking and the CPU has a low default clock...

It will run any DX9 game you toss at it but if you want max settings in Crysis...

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2014-02-18, 03:20. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11 of 14, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll have to look into the overclocking then, especially with the beast of a video card the thing has.

Now, for the last two machines. One was a first gen (I think?) HP Proliant ML110 tower server. P4/3.0ghz, blah blah. No clue what to do with this thing as it eats power and is loud as all hell. Installed RAID controller can only handle 4x250GB SATA drives so not much help there.

The last machine was a 486 in a beast of a tower case. ZEOS board. I couldn't get it to POST, but that'll be a discussion for another thread.

Reply 12 of 14, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, pulled some more stuff out of the piles. Can anyone identify this thing for me?

20140228_194602.jpg

From the FCC ID, it appears it's an Iomega disk controller card. I did find an Iomega Tape250 in another box from the same source, so I'm assuming it's the controller for the tape drive, but can anyone confirm?

Reply 13 of 14, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The port on the back looks like a scsi port but the ribbon cable looks more like a floppy cable. Based on your info I think I would have to agree, but it sure is a funky looking thing, can't tell for sure what tech it is using.

Reply 14 of 14, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like 8-bit ISA which usually works in a 16-bit ISA slot as well.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1