VOGONS

First post, by Speed King

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been a long time lurker here and found this place very useful in building up my retro gaming machine. I was into games massively during my early teenage years that saw the introduction of 3D accelerators (and the ViRGE decelerator) and rise and fall of 3Dfx. During that time I purchased heaps of games, most of which were Glide based or seem to run best on 3Dfx cards. The computers I had back then came and went, but I always kept each 3Dfx card just in case I wanted to play my old games in the future, and when 3Dfx were purchased by nVidia I was certainly glad I did. In my late teens and early twenties life focus changed to work and I had very little time for games. I had my crate full of old (soon to be vintage) PC hardware packed away until I wanted to do something with it. Now I am on the verge of turning thirty, it is time to relive my childhood i guess. To to this I have built the following system:

Intel Celeron 1000A (Tualatin)
MSI MS-6309 (VIA Apollo Pro133T)
512MB PC133 SDRAM
64MB 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
4MB Matrox m3D PCI
Sound Blaster AWE 64 Value ISA
80GB Seagate IDE HDD (C:)
3.5" FDD (A:)
5.25" FDD (B:)
Internal IDE Zip Drive (D:)
16x12x40x CD-RW (E:)
Generic silver case (cheapy that I tossed the bundled PSU)
Seasonic S12-II 520W PSU (130w on the 3.3 and 5 volt rails)
Generic Silicon Image SiL3114 PCI SATA (nothing attached yet)
SMC 1211TX PCI Network Card
Windows Me (Don't laugh - I wanted USB support - all my DOS games run fine in a DOS window in Windows)

I always read about PowerVR versus 3Dfx and I sided with the 3Dffx camp at the time but when two Matrox m3Ds came up dirt cheap on eBay I couldn't resist. One even came with the box and software which was a bonus. Left over I have the following parts in my collection:

MSI MS-6163 (Intel 440BX)
Intel Celeron 1000 (Coppermine) on an UpgradeWare Slot T adapter
Intel Pentium III 450 (Katmai) Slot 1
2MB Diamond Stealth PCI (S3 ViRGE Decelerator)
4MB Diamond Monster 3D PCI (3Dfx Voodoo)
4MB Matrox m3D PCI (PowerVR)
6MB Hercules Stringray PCI (3Dfx Voodoo Rush)
12MB 3Dfx Voodoo 2 PCI (Unsure of brand)
16MB Skywell Voodoo Banshee PCI
16MB 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
64MB 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP (yep I have a spare)
64MB ATI Rage Fury MAXX AGP

I did have a Sound Blaster Live, Sound Blaster Vibra 128, Sparkle RIVA TNT2 m64, AOpen RIVA TNT 2 Pro, and a few other cards but I seem to have lost them over time. The question is what to do with the rest of the parts. The 440BX board is good, all caps are fine. Both CPUs work no issues. I guess I just have too many video cards left over from each time I upgraded. I realise now I spent a tonne of pocket money at the time on all this.

I also have a Sound Blaster AWE 64 Gold on its way dirt cheap from eBay. I had the value version when I was younger but always wanted the Gold. Thinking of getting the SIMMconn adapter for it and a cheap 32MB SIMM if I can find one. Is it worth it for DOS games? Will it sound any better for games like Duke 3D and Doom? I am reading the various threads here about this now.

I tried moving to a SATA HDD or low capacity SSD but the SiL3114 doesn't like either. It is bootable as it has a BIOS chip and the mainboard supports booting of SCSI, but I get nothing but data corruption. I did buy a cheap IDE to SATA adapter which worked well. I had the machine running of a spare OCZ Vertex 2 60GB before I put that in a newer PC. The old mainboard's IDE controller had no issue with the low capacity SSD through the IDE to SATA adapter so I will keep that just in case my IDE HDD dies.

I guess I just wanted to share what I have and take any suggestions on what I can do with the rest of the hardware collection I have? Photos attached below

Filename
photo 2.JPG
File size
1.47 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
front view of my retro rig
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
photo 1.JPG
File size
2.03 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
Inside my retro rig
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome aboard, young lurkling! 😁

I see you're using a stock Intel HSF. I always found those to make a nasty whining noise. Btw are the clips that attach the HSF to the socket made out of plastic? If they are, I always found those to be brittle.
I always re-use the heatsinks, use a clip from a spare HSF and use a fan from somewhere else (6cm fits easily and a 7cm fan (from for instance a stock AMD Athlon64 HSF) will fit kinda (can only use 3 screws iirc, but it's nicely cool and more silent)).

You "could" get yourself a Tualatin-s 1400, they are available and reasonably cheap and will be a big performance step-up from your Celeron 1000A. If supply of those CPU's ever run out, you might feel "unlucky" you never got yourself any.

Now about your other spare parts...
I suppose your Katmai 450 conbined with one of your 16MB 3DFX cards "could" be a nice addition to your collection. I'm just not sure what other parts you have laying around.

Be warned though! If you start collecting hardware, this might take up considerable space (and possibly time and money) but if that's something you really enjoy doing (building retro computers) then it's up to you if you want to start this new hobby.

Theres plenty disadvantages as well as advantages to this, but maybe this is for another topic and another time, I'll leave that up to you 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Intel HSF.....I've seen someone sell a Socket A motherboard that had a such thing.Board was a K7S5A,along with a HP P4SD and some OEM S370 board.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 3 of 8, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As far as I'm concerned, messing around with old computer equipment and software is a drug. It has all the same symptoms as a drug. Spending money you shouldn't. Spending a huge amount of time on one thing. And then, getting that high. Anyone who has ever spent a day or more on a machine and eventually won the battle knows exactly what I speak of. Keep chasing that dragon brothers and sisters!

Reply 4 of 8, by Speed King

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Welcome aboard, young lurkling! :D […]
Show full quote

Welcome aboard, young lurkling! 😁

I see you're using a stock Intel HSF. I always found those to make a nasty whining noise. Btw are the clips that attach the HSF to the socket made out of plastic? If they are, I always found those to be brittle.
I always re-use the heatsinks, use a clip from a spare HSF and use a fan from somewhere else (6cm fits easily and a 7cm fan (from for instance a stock AMD Athlon64 HSF) will fit kinda (can only use 3 screws iirc, but it's nicely cool and more silent)).

You "could" get yourself a Tualatin-s 1400, they are available and reasonably cheap and will be a big performance step-up from your Celeron 1000A. If supply of those CPU's ever run out, you might feel "unlucky" you never got yourself any.

Now about your other spare parts...
I suppose your Katmai 450 conbined with one of your 16MB 3DFX cards "could" be a nice addition to your collection. I'm just not sure what other parts you have laying around.

Be warned though! If you start collecting hardware, this might take up considerable space (and possibly time and money) but if that's something you really enjoy doing (building retro computers) then it's up to you if you want to start this new hobby.

Theres plenty disadvantages as well as advantages to this, but maybe this is for another topic and another time, I'll leave that up to you 😉

Yep I have the Intel stock HSF but it does use metal clips. The were a pain to clip on as the metal was quite stiff. That is a good thing I guess; good thermal contact. The Tualatin-s 1400 is a good idea. I see on eBay they have ones pin modded and some without. Since I have a Slot T and a native Tualatin supporting board I guess I could just get a standard one. I read on the guys listing from Korea that his pin mod makes it a few mm thicker. I am concerned that this may make it almost impossible to mount a Socket 370 HSF combo. I do have a few spare Thermaltake Socket 370 / Socket A coolers laying around. Hopefully my wife hasn't found them and thrown them out. That is a possibility.

Reply 5 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Speed King wrote:

Yep I have the Intel stock HSF but it does use metal clips. The were a pain to clip on as the metal was quite stiff. That is a good thing I guess; good thermal contact. The Tualatin-s 1400 is a good idea. I see on eBay they have ones pin modded and some without. Since I have a Slot T and a native Tualatin supporting board I guess I could just get a standard one. I read on the guys listing from Korea that his pin mod makes it a few mm thicker. I am concerned that this may make it almost impossible to mount a Socket 370 HSF combo. I do have a few spare Thermaltake Socket 370 / Socket A coolers laying around. Hopefully my wife hasn't found them and thrown them out. That is a possibility.

As fc-pga2 chips are taller, you need to apply more force to get the clip to attach. Just keep in mind that you could break one of the tabs (hopefully while you're mounting the thing). If that happens, you can fix it with superglue.

Thermal conductivity doesn't seem as important to me for your particular chip (or any Pentium 3 for that matter) as these chips run pretty cool anyway.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 8, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very few DOS games has specific support of AWE32/AWE64 RAM, and for those with such support the onboard 4 megabytes of AWE64 Gold are more than enough.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 8 of 8, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Speed King wrote:

That is a good thing I guess; good thermal contact. The Tualatin-s 1400 is a good idea. I see on eBay they have ones pin modded and some without. Since I have a Slot T and a native Tualatin supporting board I guess I could just get a standard one. I read on the guys listing from Korea that his pin mod makes it a few mm thicker. I am concerned that this may make it almost impossible to mount a Socket 370 HSF combo. I do have a few spare Thermaltake Socket 370 / Socket A coolers laying around. Hopefully my wife hasn't found them and thrown them out. That is a possibility.

I'd first try to run the Celeron 1000A at FSB133 first. (That is, if you didn't already do that and if your board allows setting the FSB.) I don't know how much more performance a PIII-S would give.
(This should be an easy overclock, nearly all Celerons 1000A should do this, mine did. The nice thing is that FSB, PCI and AGP will still run in spec.)