VOGONS

vga to hdmi

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that I am going to try the Sewell hammerhead. http://sewelldirect.com/Hammerhead.asp

From an online chat with one of their representatives:

"The converter just outputs whatever VGA resolution is input through the HDMI port. In reality the converter will handle any resolution at all, it just sends that exact same resolution out though the VGA port. Most HDMI displays won't support anything lower than 640x480 though."

However, I saw a youtube video where someone was using a special part to get 320x200 over HDMI with an Apple IIgs. Plus, I can return the part without a restocking fee if it doesn't work.

Reply 21 of 28, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry I have not chimed in sooner. Usually a lurker here. Anyway, I own the Sewell Hammerhead and I love it! I use it on a Win98se rig that I keep my retro stuff on. I have it plugged into my Hanns-G 28" 1920x1200 LCD and have not had ANY issues with it.

My favorite feature of this unit is that it gets power via a short USB cord. No external wall wart needed!

If you have any questions on it, let me know.

EDIT: I should add I pass the HDMI through a DVI cord that goes through a Belkin SOHO DVI KVM. The entire reason I needed this unit was so that I could keep using my KVM.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 22 of 28, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome, laxdragon! Thanks for the info!

I just want to double check with you on the Hammerhead's capabilities. I know you said you use it with your Win98SE rig, but do you run MS-DOS; 320x200 games with it?

Reply 23 of 28, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I have. Many DOS games will run in Win98. I've played old Sierra DOS based games. It seems to handle ever resolution I've thrown at it just fine.

I'll try it again tonight and even make a video and throw it up on youtube. I don't have capture equipment, so it will be shaky cam footage.

Reply 24 of 28, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please make that video! This product could be of interest to many here 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 26 of 28, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i6TWnnbJtI

Hopefully this helps a bit. I notice that the 320x200 mode is stretched out of aspect, but other modes, 640x480 and 1024x768 are are correct. Perhaps some tweaking on the monitor itself could mitigate that.

Reply 27 of 28, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome! Thank you, laxdragon, for sharing your video! You filmed your pc booting up, which showed boot screens displaying properly. The computer which is the focus of the thread is running MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11,rather than DOS programs through Windows 9x. Because the Hammerhead displays the boot screens properly, I am confident that the Hammerhead will serve well for my retro computing (I will also use it for my PII retro build, which is mostly Windows 9x based.)

I am hoping that my TV's option to force 4:3 will allow me to avoid any stretching. My older Samsung worked for this, & this is a newer Samsung. I will order the Hammerhead & report back how things go.

Thanks again!

Reply 28 of 28, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks good!

Hopefully they ship overseas.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel