VOGONS

pIII 800 build

Topic actions

First post, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While I source parts for my windows 95 build i though I'd put together a nice pIII system with parts i have.Unknown atx case ,main board is an Aopen ax63 pro , cpu is a 800mhz pIII with 256kb cache and 133mhz front side bus . Ram is 384 mb of pc133 , video card for the moment is a matrox millennium 450 agp 1x .3com network card and crappy ensoniq pci sound card . For disk drive i have a 3.5" floppy , zip 100 , liteon dvdrom and 36x acer cdrom . Hard drive is an 80gb western digital .

It is currently running windows 2000 . I need to get a better sound card and a few things still . Also need to dig up some of my old games but its running and is closed up for now .

IMG_0955_zps742ef5da.jpg

Reply 1 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd run it with another PSU though, your PSU is sorta infamous for dying in a burst of flames and taking all hardware down with it to the eternal huntinggrounds 🙁

The rest of it looks nice. I've once run a P3-800 and really liked it (though my P3 was s370 instead of Slot 1).

So what parts are you gonna be using for your rig? 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 21, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about a list of what games you intend to run on this machine? I've always been more interested in why someone picked particular parts for a particular game and/or range of games. With your two systems so far it's been a matter of what parts you had on hand, but it'd still be nice to know what you intend to run on the machine.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 3 of 21, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that sucks to hear about the psu , its the only standard atx psu i have at the moment . But i do appreciate the heads up , guess i can add another psu to my shopping list . My win95 rig is not really decided yet , praobly a pII 233 but I'd like to find a cyrix 233 like i had back in the day . the rest we will have to see 🤣 .

Reply 4 of 21, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you also have picture made from the front of this case? I think some people mayby want to know which case you are using now.

Iam also thinking of buying better psu`s for my retro systems. The quality of the psu`s back then which came included with the case was mostly the worst psu you can get. They where only nice to drive the system for some time and where cheaper with building to whole system. But if you have plans to run this system for a while, i can recommend to buy a real a-brand psu..

1. Then you know you are on the save side ( a-brands don`t blow apart easilly) And the voltage lines are more stable.

2. Low quality psu`s consume more power from the wall socket. ( because they dont work much efficient)so i the long terms, you really can save a lot money on power (electric bills)

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 5 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:
Do you also have picture made from the front of this case? I think some people mayby want to know which case you are using now. […]
Show full quote

Do you also have picture made from the front of this case? I think some people mayby want to know which case you are using now.

Iam also thinking of buying better psu`s for my retro systems. The quality of the psu`s back then which came included with the case was mostly the worst psu you can get. They where only nice to drive the system for some time and where cheaper with building to whole system. But if you have plans to run this system for a while, i can recommend to buy a real a-brand psu..

1. Then you know you are on the save side ( a-brands don`t blow apart easilly) And the voltage lines are more stable.

2. Low quality psu`s consume more power from the wall socket. ( because they dont work much efficient)so i the long terms, you really can save a lot money on power (electric bills)

I use a mix of older PSU and some not so old ones, but they all have one thing in common: They were pretty solidly build.
When I started my computer hobby, I kept all the heavier PSU's (that's "usually" an indication they were well build). Most of my older PSU's were made by FSP (Fortron). This is why I have ample PSU's for Socket A builds, I got them here and there. I did have to throw a couple of them out because they had one or several leaking caps though, but so far the ones I had from the start and didn't have any bad caps, still don't have bad caps now.

Of course these PSU's are older now and not as efficient, but they should still do the job well enough.

But to be on the safe side, I always open up one of the older PSU's I intend to use in one of my builds and check for bulging/leaking caps before I actually use them to set power to one of my boards.

Of course just buying new ones is more safe and probably also cheaper in power (because they are more efficient), but for retro builds I don't use that much anyway, all I care about is stability. And besides, I can't afford to buy brand new PSU's for all of my builds anyway.

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 21, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have other parts , enough to build 4 pIII/pII systems ,well except for power supplys and hard drives . the parts i used are what i thought were close to a 2000 system(other than the hard drive).I will be looking for a gaming video card (geforce2 series) and better sound card (sb live). I will be playing racing games ,elder scrolls morrowind ,age of empires 2 , and maybe some shooters . I have been trying to find my box of older pc games , but so far i can't seem to find it 🙁

IMG_0958_zpsf856eed7.jpg
front of system , sorry about the lcd i need to find a good crt for my retro systems .

Last edited by matte20 on 2014-03-16, 04:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 21, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would ditch that fire hazard psu before it catches fire, I have read enough horror stories to not take those chances often.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 21, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice system. I use Pentium III's alot. My socket 370 PIII 866mhz is faster than my Slot 1 PIII 1000mhz for some odd reason. Both are IBM OEM systems with Win2K and both are Coppermines, the 1000mhz was a 667mhz, it is saying I am lacking a processor patch. I use the 1000mhz alot with a Voodoo Banshee and 1 gig of ram. UT99, ZDOOM, Quake 3 Arena, Delta Force, and DeusEX are played on that machine.

Reply 10 of 21, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matte20 wrote:

the psu has been disconnected from the mains and will be removed shortly .

Take pics of its guts and we'll assess its potential as a incendiary device 😀 .

Let the air flow!

Reply 11 of 21, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiremaster400 wrote:

Nice system. I use Pentium III's alot. My socket 370 PIII 866mhz is faster than my Slot 1 PIII 1000mhz for some odd reason. Both are IBM OEM systems with Win2K and both are Coppermines, the 1000mhz was a 667mhz, it is saying I am lacking a processor patch. I use the 1000mhz alot with a Voodoo Banshee and 1 gig of ram. UT99, ZDOOM, Quake 3 Arena, Delta Force, and DeusEX are played on that machine.

Thank you . PIII systems are fun , i never could afford one when they were new .I may look for a 1ghz slot one cpu for it after i get a good power supply and sound card .

A fire hazard for sure , looks like a cap may have exploded at some point all over the top of the case . Already in the trash . What are some good brands to look for ? my local pc shop has a big bin of used power supply's .
IMG_0967_zps2d903a3e.jpg
IMG_0961_zpse0043552.jpg
IMG_0968_zps8ce7b9de.jpg

Reply 12 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matte20 wrote:
Thank you . PIII systems are fun , i never could afford one when they were new .I may look for a 1ghz slot one cpu for it after […]
Show full quote
Tiremaster400 wrote:

Thank you . PIII systems are fun , i never could afford one when they were new .I may look for a 1ghz slot one cpu for it after i get a good power supply and sound card .

A fire hazard for sure , looks like a cap may have exploded at some point all over the top of the case . Already in the trash . What are some good brands to look for ? my local pc shop has a big bin of used power supply's .
IMG_0967_zps2d903a3e.jpg
IMG_0961_zpse0043552.jpg
IMG_0968_zps8ce7b9de.jpg

There are a LOT of brands that make reasonable PSU's, so it's hard to be comprehensive. Also, many manufacturers had some bad lots, so even having a brand PSU may be problematic.

Personally I like FSP as they seem affordable and at the same time don't make your computer go *POOF* "if" the PSU decides to die on me, but there are many other well known brands out there.
A short list of good PSU would be:
Seasonic
Antec
FSP (though I consider these to be reasonably good, not absolutely great. Just a personal favorite of mine, especially when it comes to lower power units)

I'm pretty sure other can give jou 10 or more names which are (pretty) good.

One source you could read up in is jonnyguru (google it), it has a forum and the guy also tests PSU thoroughly.

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 21, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Corsair, Cooler Master

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 14 of 21, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Personally I like FSP as they seem affordable and at the same time don't make your computer go *POOF* "if" the PSU decides to di […]
Show full quote

Personally I like FSP as they seem affordable and at the same time don't make your computer go *POOF* "if" the PSU decides to die on me, but there are many other well known brands out there.
A short list of good PSU would be:
Seasonic
Antec
FSP (though I consider these to be reasonably good, not absolutely great. Just a personal favorite of mine, especially when it comes to lower power units)

I'm pretty sure other can give jou 10 or more names which are (pretty) good.

One source you could read up in is jonnyguru (google it), it has a forum and the guy also tests PSU thoroughly.

+ 1 vote for Seasonic (and look for Sparkle P/S's as well - were made by Seasonic at one point and can usually be had for very cheap).

Check out this link to read up on some great PSU analysis by TELVM also...there's so much to consider in a good solid PSU A tale of two PSUs

Reply 15 of 21, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matte20 wrote:

... A fire hazard for sure , looks like a cap may have exploded at some point all over the top of the case . Already in the trash ...

As a matter of fact that's one of the best sets of guts I've seen inside a LC/Deer/Allied PSU, quite decent input and output filtering. That brown goo like burnt caramel all over the place is just cooked glue. It would have been worth a recap.

149tq1k_th.png

Let the air flow!

Reply 17 of 21, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TELVM wrote:
As a matter of fact that's one of the best sets of guts I've seen inside a LC/Deer/Allied PSU, quite decent input and output fil […]
Show full quote
matte20 wrote:

... A fire hazard for sure , looks like a cap may have exploded at some point all over the top of the case . Already in the trash ...

As a matter of fact that's one of the best sets of guts I've seen inside a LC/Deer/Allied PSU, quite decent input and output filtering. That brown goo like burnt caramel all over the place is just cooked glue. It would have been worth a recap.

149tq1k_th.png

Well its just on the top of the garbage can near my desk . not to sure it i want to mess with re-caping it but i might . I appreciate all the help and info guys .

i have used cool master before and i do have a 550watt cool master that i have been hanging onto for a future dual proccesor build .Overkill for a pIII , but i guess could load it with cards and a 1ghz cpu and still have power to spare 🤣

Edit: well i dug out my 550cool master psu , it dose not have enough of the old style molex connectors to run every thing i have in this system . It mostly has sata connectors .

Reply 18 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matte20 wrote:

Edit: well i dug out my 550cool master psu , it dose not have enough of the old style molex connectors to run every thing i have in this system . It mostly has sata connectors .

In such a case I just use sata2molex adapters (I once bought a whole lot of those as I felt these would come in handy one day)

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 21, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
matte20 wrote:

In such a case I just use sata2molex adapters (I once bought a whole lot of those as I felt these would come in handy one day)

i don't have any of those unfortunately . I think i will get to the local pc shop and grab a couple good looking used atx power supplies when i get paid in the next couple weeks .