VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone

new user here but long time lurker. Really enjoy this forum, it's a wealth of information!

Took some pics of my main "retro system" today so thought it would be nice to share them with the community.

Specs:

Fugutech M507 Socket 7 mainboard
Pentium 200
32Mb Ram
S3 Trio 64
SB Pro2 CT1600
Roland MPU-IPC-T
(Midi out 1 : Roland CM32L + CM32P)
(Midi out 2 : Roland SC-55 + MU80)
Lian-Li 4 switch bay to control CPU speed and multiplier
Silverstone ClearCMOS switch hooked to a jumper to set the bus speed
Pioneer DVD-120SZ slot-in drive
3.5" floppy drive
Addonics CF to IDE adapter
Creative Labs SBS300 Speakers (designed by Yamaha)
Sony 400PST 19" CRT
Logitech PS/2 mouse (with everglide pad from my Quake 3 days)
Logitech PS/2 keyboard
CH Flightstick Pro
MS-Dos 6.22
Windows for Workgroups 3.11

dOMqIlS.jpg

y0sXoHO.jpg

Av2fLEL.jpg

What's interesting about the system is the ability to go from 75mhz to 200mhz with every speed in between, by adjusting the 4 switches on the front panel. Bus speed can be set to 50mhz or 60/66mhz by flicking the "ClearCMOS" switch at the back of the case. I decided to install this multi switch setup when I noticed that some games were running too fast with the Pentium 200 CPU but way too slow if I disabled the cache (Hi-Octane for example).

Last edited by MMaximus on 2015-02-01, 20:46. Edited 7 times in total.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool built!

When I was a kid I mounted switches to the front of the case and connected the wires to the FSB and Multiplier pins of a AMD 486DX-4 😀

Allowed me to go from a DX2-50 to a DX4-120.

Looks like your system has everything one needs for DOS gaming!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 17, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. Just figured out how to use Imgur so pictures should be fine now.

Mau1wurf - I like this switch setup, it's a good way to make a mainboard that is not jumperless a bit more flexible, and also you don't even need to go into the BIOS to adjust the speed of the system. Just turn off, adjust the switches on the panel, and turn it back on.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 4 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi and welcome, looks like you have the serious retro bug already. Hanging around here only seems to feed it!
I felt your pain, the amount of nice old hand me down PC's and cases I trashed casue they were old. Now are worth so much!
Looks likes a nice setup, It'll be interesting how long to those little things like the front panel not fitting drive you mad and you start fiddling again
(again I blame vogons)

Reply 8 of 17, by armankordi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's sooo cute!! why didn't you go with a lower clock speed? say-166MHz?

IBM PS/2 8573-121 386-20 DOS6.2/W3.1
IBM PS/2 8570-E61 386-16 W95
IBM PS/2 8580-071 386-16 (486DX-33 reply) OS/2 warp
486DX/2 - 66/32mb ram/256k cache/504mb hdd/cdrom/awe32/DOS6.2/WFW3.11
K6/2 - 350/128mb ram/512k cache/4.3gb hdd/cdr/sblive/w98

Reply 11 of 17, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I never tried to adjust the speed "on the fly" because I didn't want to risk damaging anything. I no longer have this system so I can't test it unfortunately.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 12 of 17, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How did you wire up the panel with the switches for changing CPU speeds? Something like that would be very nice to have.

I wasn't aware that you could underclock Pentiums like that. Are they multiplier unlocked?

Reply 13 of 17, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original Pentiums in general didn't have locked multipliers. Intel first did that with some Pentium MMX so you couldn't just run them at 233 MHz (which probably all of them would have been capable of).
Another way to see this is that early Pentium MMX CPUs just didn't substitute 3.5x for the 1.5x setting like later ones did.

Reply 14 of 17, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How can I tell if my P200 MMX is one of the unlocked models?

If it is, then I assume it would just be a matter of installing a bunch of switches to control open or closed states of the jumpers that control CPU speed. Is that correct?

Reply 15 of 17, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed, at the time I bought a 5"1/4 front panel with 4 switches from frozencpu.com, then connected the switches to the jumpers that control FSB speed and multiplier on the motherboard.

I have since given away this system and replaced it with a P233MMX build. It has a simpler setup with 2 switches at the back - it can run at 100, 133, 166 or 233mhz.

I always thought that Pentiums MMX were unlocked though, and that Intel started locking multipliers shortly after releasing the Pentium II.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 16 of 17, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote:

Indeed, at the time I bought a 5"1/4 front panel with 4 switches from frozencpu.com, then connected the switches to the jumpers that control FSB speed and multiplier on the motherboard.

I have since given away this system and replaced it with a P233MMX build. It has a simpler setup with 2 switches at the back - it can run at 100, 133, 166 or 233mhz.

I always thought that Pentiums MMX were unlocked though, and that Intel started locking multipliers shortly after releasing the Pentium II.

This has actually given me some ideas. My pentium 1 systems force a clock multiplier by the use of DIP switches-- I wonder if I popped a 200 Mhz chip if it would force it to run at 233 Mhz. I know the reverse is true (I was running a 233 at 50 Mhz with some undocumented mode by accident).
However, it would be really cool to desolder the DIP switch and break out the interface to the front of the computer by the use of four switches or something to specify which CPU speed I want. Another method would be to create a system of relays to mimic the DIP switch, but have a software driven LCD interface dynamically set the appropriate mode-- only caveat is that it would have to be powered on while the computer itself is not. I have no clue what will happen by dynamically changing your clock multiplier on-the-fly, probably some weird glitching and then a system freeze I would imagine.

what motherboard is your new pentium system?