VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought it would be fun to dedicate a thread to my old Pentium 90 machine (model name was apparently "SkyTower")

We got this PC new in 1994 - this was a beast back in the day. It was a replacement for our 486DX50 and the speed improvement was massive. (It was also a lot more stable as the DX50 used to hang a lot, probably due to overheating or because of the 50mhz bus speed...)

P8SfnwM.jpg

lVjH0nd.jpg

It came with 8mb of Ram, a Mitsumi CD-Rom (that probably failed or was upgraded a couple of years later). IIRC it was a "triple speed" CD-Rom drive and I think they were a bit buggy due to not being x2 or x4... that's what I remember reading. We also had two hard disks in two removable bays - a WD Caviar 31000 1gb my parents used for work and a Seagate ST3491A 420mb I used for games. Depending on who would use the computer, we would unlock one or the other bay with a tiny key to choose which HDD would boot. After a while one bay stopped working, it was probably just disconnected from the inside but we didn't even think about opening the case to check and just assumed it was faulty! Since then, both HDD have unfortunately failed.

Rn0qQS5.jpg

It came with a Spea Video 7 Vision864 PCI video card. The card failed a couple of years later and the store replaced it with a S3 Trio64 card.

I used to have a Sound Blaster 1.5 in previous 486DX50 PC and for this machine we got a Sound Blaster 16 because by that time pretty much every game offered SB16 support. We were sold the SB16 MultiCD ASP (CT1750) that also served as an interface for the CD-Rom drive. We didn't know about the ASP stuff, I guess we just assumed it was a better soundcard because it was more expensive! I only found out recently on Vogons that the ASP chip was kind of a scam and was never used in anything... I actually completely forgot it was on the card to begin with.

qeCKtol.jpg

I also migrated my Roland SCC-1 that I had in the 486 in this PC so I could continue to enjoy midi soundtracks along with the digital sound from the SB16.

RxAn4wp.jpg

It was a great PC and I have fond memories of playing games on it - Need for Speed, Hi-Octane, Slipstream 5000, NBA Live '95, Pinball Fantasies, Sam & Max, Lands of Lore, Inherit the earth, Bioforge, Heroes of Might & Magic II, Theme Park, Syndicate, Dark Forces, Descent, Doom 1 & 2... to name a few.

I used this machine pretty much everyday from 1994 to 1998 and it was also the first PC that I went online with, late 1995 on Compuserve with 28.8k dial-up ISA card modem...

Then it was eventually replaced by a PII-333 machine, put in storage and moved several times between flats. A few years ago I decided to declutter heavily - I saved the parts but unfortunately chose to throw away the case to make room at the time. I have to say the case didn't age well and for some reasons the ISA cards didn't fit properly anymore, the side panels were really difficult to open, and the lock for the extension cards no longer attached securely. (this case used a plastic lock instead of screws to secure extension cards to the case).

Apart from the case I still have all the parts including the motherboard (Intel Plato Socket 5 with gold-top P90) but I can't use it until I desolder the RTC chip (Dallas DS12887) and solder a new one, as the original chip finally died last year... after keeping time for 19 years!

CfriGdu.jpg

Last edited by MMaximus on 2014-04-17, 17:52. Edited 2 times in total.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 5 of 8, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I enjoy reading about stories behind computers too so I try to give a bit of background behind each machine. It's my way of paying tribute to these workhorses that we spent so much time working and playing with!

IIRC I got the SCC-1 around 1993 and it was probably between 3200 and 3500 French Francs at the time. Adjusted to current prices, I believe it would be between 650 and 700 euros, so definitely a huge sum back in the day, although still much cheaper than the equivalent SC-55 which was definitely out of reach for me. Still, I guess I was really lucky as a teenager to own such a card in my PC.

Great thing about retro equipment is, I've always wanted to have an SC-55 because I thought that orange display and all those front panel buttons looked so cool. Two years ago I found one locally for 50 euros... that's probably 5% of what it used to cost at launch! On the other hand the value of the SCC-1 seem to keep rising so that makes it the most valuable item in my small retro collection. Maybe in a few years the value will rise back to its introductory price again! 😉

Here are a few more pics of my card... only thing missing are the audio cables that I misplaced, but I'm glad I managed to keep everything else.

sX9TKUB.jpg

vAPlG21.jpg

av3uE5F.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 7 of 8, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really cool that you have that same card since over 20 years now. I've always wondered how many gamers had actual Roland hardware back in the days. Even though PCs were generally more expensive back then, price-wise that card is still similar to today's high-end graphics cards. And then information travelled slower than today, so unless they read about it in a magazine or even knew someone who had this hardware to hear it in action that Sound Canvas option in games would have been somewhat of a mystery. Of course there were cheaper and arguably better GM options later on, but a Sound Canvas is still very nice to have if the game was actually composed for it. The authenticity thing and all that 😀

Is there any information up to what year a SCC-1 or SCB-55 could be bought new in stores?

Reply 8 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

Is there any information up to what year a SCC-1 or SCB-55 could be bought new in stores?

The CGW archive is a good place to look for info on what hardware was available when, and for how much. But I guess different regions sold things at different times - I don't remember ever seeing a roland product in my countless visits to local computer stores. Perhaps they were sold in music shops.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.