My first retro builds...

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
j'ordos wrote:
Up next is a PII-333. I'm not sure if I have anything that I want to do with this PC that I can't do with my p200, or the pentiu […]
Show full quote

Up next is a PII-333. I'm not sure if I have anything that I want to do with this PC that I can't do with my p200, or the pentium III after this one but what the heck. Mainboard is an A-Trend ATC-6120 based on the LX chipset. I think I put in 128 or 256 megs of SDRAM. Can't remember which for sure. For graphics I am using a combination Diamond Stealth S220 + Voodoo2 12MB (which I hope to add another one to in SLI later on). Soundcard is a Soundblaster AWE64 Gold. Has a network card too for good measure. OS is windows 98SE again.

2014-05-03 22.48.25.jpg
2014-05-03 22.54.37.jpg
2014-05-03 22.55.00.jpg

I think I saw that PC on Youtube running Windows 7 then Xubuntu.
Just curious,but are you from Poland?

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 21 of 23, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Similar ATX cases != same pc

I could build a modern looking Windows8.1-expecting system that would lead to a mindfuck with 1996 dates on bootup when they realize there's a P54C in there, in an ATX S7, and you would still ask if this is a pc you saw that ran Windows 8. It'd be a hell of a christmas prank...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 22 of 23, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

No, my PC isn't on youtube and I'm not from Poland. (like I already said on this thread, I'm from Belgium) Thanks for the info on AT power, I hope to try those 486 boards pretty soon! At the moment I am building a small home network for gaming with these PC's. I have another PIII-500 (a packard bell with integrated Voodoo3 and Soundblaster Live!) to pair with my first PIII here, though the integrated Voodoo3 only has 8Mb of video memory, so I can't try GTAIII. Maybe I should install one of my AGP Geforce2 MX cards instead. Although GTA3 will probably push this system to the limit, I'll see how it goes...

I intend to pair the P200 with the PII. I think the difference in clock power isn't big enough to warrant building more PC's. And if I get a 486 working I can put a direct cable connection to the 386, so everything will be connected. 😀

Reply 23 of 23, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The way I love playing GTA III is on a modern system with AA and all the whistles Catalyst CC can force on, with Tri-pack HD vehicles installed. It's the best mod I know of for GTA III, what I really like about it is that it does not mess up the balance or the atmosphere of the original game. All the vehicles are careful remakes of the original, with every detail kept and developed further with great attention. I just love it. It's amazing how great the game looks that way.
460.jpg