VOGONS

First post, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, just finished up with installing Win2k and setting up disks on this build, and figured I'd share. It isn't cased yet, but otherwise it's complete. It began life as a Dell (there seems to be some disagreement between my various system-info applications as to exactly what model it was; some say Dimension 4100, some say XPS-Z), but that's before my time - I got the board, CPU, and power supply as loose freebies a few years ago, and have used them for testing expansion cards and RAM until recently. Since they're a little dated for that role now, I figured why not build it into a functional system. 😎

Here's everything on the "bench":
IMG_0720_zpsfc6567ef.jpg

And a closer shot of the WildcatVP:
IMG_0721_zpse485a872.jpg

CPU and GPU coolers have been replaced because they were both annoying loud - I honestly didn't expect the WildcatVP to have such a noisy cooler, but it did! Luckily that VF-700 fit it perfectly, and it runs nearly silent now. The CPU is using a Thermalright that was designed for an AthlonXP; with the fan undervolted it also runs nearly silent, and provides good airflow over the motherboard and RAM.

Overall specs:

1GHz Pentium 3 CuMine
384MB PC100 SDRAM
3DLabs WildcatVP 880Pro 256MB
SB Live! (haven't bothered to look up which variant; Windows 2000 says "SB Live Basic" in device manager)
3Com EtherLink XL 10/100
Quantum Fireball 13.6AT
WD Caviar 6400 (6.4GB) [not pictured]

3DMark2001:
vp880w2k3d01_zps6006d943.png

It didn't seem to have any problems running the tests - no weird anomalies or missing textures or anything like that. This was done with the "Advanced Performance" slider set to "Max Textures" within Acuity (the 3DLabs driver) - on the default "Max Geometry" it scores something like 2000, everything crawls, and the fill-rate values drop to around 200. 😵

Here's what it will end up in, once I get it cleaned out:
IMG_0702_zpsefec09f0.jpg
(yes it's really that reflective)

I don't know much about it as a case - I bought it from a PC shop probably 15 years ago, and it was a display model and came with no box or paperwork; it's nicely built and looks cool, so I've held onto it. The other side has a window:
IMG_0695_zps5924e533.jpg
(that's an Abit AN7 tucked in there - I pulled this out of storage a few weeks ago and discovered the board has a number of bulging caps and that RAM is bad too... 😒)

As far as what it will end up actually doing/running after being cased - I'm thinking it would make a great RTS/simcity box given that it shouldn't have any trouble running most of those games (even newer games like WarCraft 3 shouldn't be much trouble), and it'll be whisper quiet while doing it. 😀

PS
Curious what the VP880Pro is "supposed" to look like? VGA Museum has some great high resolution shots:
http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/component … ldcat-vp880-pro

It was/is properly a single-slot card, but that cooler sounds like a hair dryer (and since I can make the comparison: yes, it's really worse than a GeForce FX 5800 Ultra 🤣).

Reply 1 of 13, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just curious,but are you going to fix the Abit AN7?

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

If it takes a standard ATX case and power supply, it's not a Dimension 4100. 😉 Nice build anyway.

Standard ATX case, not a standard ATX PSU - it uses a 20-pin connector but the pinout isn't standard/ATX. 😵

Thanks for the kind words. 😊

EDIT

Alright, pulled the service tag out of the BIOS because I was curious; here's what Dell's website said about it:

System: Dimension 4100
Specs: 128M RAM, dual CD-RW drives (would be nice to have those!), unknown 32M video card (it just said "32M MRMGA"), V.90 Modem, Ethernet card (appears it was an EtherLink TX)

It doesn't specify CPU that was originally shipped.

This is the picture it gave me:
esupp_dimen_4100.jpg

Honestly I don't feel bad about not having that case... 🤣

Reply 5 of 13, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I'll be damned. I have a Dimension 4100 in storage, and back when it was stock it came with a 32MB Geforce2MX, and an 866MHz Pentium III Coppermine. AFAIR it didn't come with an ethernet card, and it didn't have a second optical drive either. I don't remember how much RAM mine came with, whether it had 128MB or 256MB, but I remember it being swapped around a few times.

I wonder, can you get sound in DOS with your current setup? I can't really dig mine out of storage right now, but I'd like to know as I'm planning on setting mine up as a DOS SVGA/late 90's Win9x box.

Reply 7 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Well, I'll be damned. I have a Dimension 4100 in storage, and back when it was stock it came with a 32MB Geforce2MX, and an 866MHz Pentium III Coppermine. AFAIR it didn't come with an ethernet card, and it didn't have a second optical drive either. I don't remember how much RAM mine came with, whether it had 128MB or 256MB, but I remember it being swapped around a few times.

I wonder, can you get sound in DOS with your current setup? I can't really dig mine out of storage right now, but I'd like to know as I'm planning on setting mine up as a DOS SVGA/late 90's Win9x box.

It has Windows 2000 installed currently (there's only drivers for the GPU under 2k or XP, and XP was having problems with some motherboard component (best I've been able to nail it down to is the Intel 815 INF driver from Dell (which caused havoc for 2000 as well, but isn't loaded by default by 2000))), so no DOS via 9x; I could maybe try one of the bootable benchmarks or something (if you have something I could test I'd be happy to take a look, basically - it has no issues with FreeDOS but I haven't tested anything for sound), but what I'm thinking is: there is no integrated audio on this system (at least on mine), so I'm using an SB Live! PCI card. I don't know if SB Live! works in DOS at all. I'm not sure if there's a variant of the motherboard with integrated audio (I'd imagine there are; my board has pads where the output jacks would go), and if there is I can't comment on that controller + DOS.

borgie83 wrote:

Never heard of the 3DLabs WildcatVP 880Pro. Is it based on the Nvidia FX series chipset? What's the model number on the Zalman?

The Zalman on the gcard: VF700-AlCu; I'm not sure if Zalman still makes them anymore, but I've heard decent things about the knock-offs you can find on eBay (though have not tested one myself).

The Zalman fan on the CPU HS: RDH9025B; it came out of a "package" that included the CNPS3000 Socket 370 heatsink and some other stuff, none of which I think I have anymore. 😊 The actual heatsink on the CPU is a Thermalright SI-97.

The gcard itself: it's based on the 3DLabs P10, which is a 3DLabs designed GPU (they call it a "VPU"). It's a mid-range pro card from the same era as (and competitor to) Quadro 4. You can read about the cards from 3DLabs:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030608130530/ht … ata/wcvppro.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20030618035911/ht … vppro/index.htm
And some articles I've found about the P10 itself:
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/p10/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/905

I haven't gotten to testing out actual games with it yet - but if I remember to, I'll update the thread when I do. I'm guessing it will do okay based on the 3DMark results and the presence of various "game profiles" in the DirectX sub-section of the drivers.

Reply 8 of 13, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just curious as I've played with the wildcat vp's on and off - in 3dmark2001 do you get a row of white dots or dashes in the lower part of the screen during one of the fish scenes? Pretty sure I get it on two of my cards [and used to get it on others in this range] so I concluded it was a driver issue. Don't think other makes show that glitch.

Reply 9 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

Just curious as I've played with the wildcat vp's on and off - in 3dmark2001 do you get a row of white dots or dashes in the lower part of the screen during one of the fish scenes? Pretty sure I get it on two of my cards [and used to get it on others in this range] so I concluded it was a driver issue. Don't think other makes show that glitch.

Nope. 😊 No problems with 3DMark that I've seen thus far aside from normal vertical tearing/flicker when FPS runs over the monitor's refresh rate (my FX 5800 Ultra (and others) will do the same thing in 3D01). I'm running the latest Acuity build for Windows 2000 (dated March 2006), but had it running Windows XP at first (same date on the drivers, but they are separate downloads from 3DLabs - I think the primary difference between the packages is the dual monitor feature; on XP it uses Windows' built-in multi-monitor support, while on 2000 it installs "3DLabs DualView" as well) and that didn't exhibit any strange dots/dashes/etc either.

More generically:
IME dots/dashes usually means overheating (or failed) memory, but maybe not always. Try comparing what you're seeing to here:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

Reply 10 of 13, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
It has Windows 2000 installed currently (there's only drivers for the GPU under 2k or XP, and XP was having problems with some m […]
Show full quote
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

It has Windows 2000 installed currently (there's only drivers for the GPU under 2k or XP, and XP was having problems with some motherboard component (best I've been able to nail it down to is the Intel 815 INF driver from Dell (which caused havoc for 2000 as well, but isn't loaded by default by 2000))), so no DOS via 9x; I could maybe try one of the bootable benchmarks or something (if you have something I could test I'd be happy to take a look, basically - it has no issues with FreeDOS but I haven't tested anything for sound), but what I'm thinking is: there is no integrated audio on this system (at least on mine), so I'm using an SB Live! PCI card. I don't know if SB Live! works in DOS at all. I'm not sure if there's a variant of the motherboard with integrated audio (I'd imagine there are; my board has pads where the output jacks would go), and if there is I can't comment on that controller + DOS.

borgie83 wrote:

Never heard of the 3DLabs WildcatVP 880Pro. Is it based on the Nvidia FX series chipset? What's the model number on the Zalman?

The Zalman on the gcard: VF700-AlCu; I'm not sure if Zalman still makes them anymore, but I've heard decent things about the knock-offs you can find on eBay (though have not tested one myself).

The Zalman fan on the CPU HS: RDH9025B; it came out of a "package" that included the CNPS3000 Socket 370 heatsink and some other stuff, none of which I think I have anymore. 😊 The actual heatsink on the CPU is a Thermalright SI-97.

The gcard itself: it's based on the 3DLabs P10, which is a 3DLabs designed GPU (they call it a "VPU"). It's a mid-range pro card from the same era as (and competitor to) Quadro 4. You can read about the cards from 3DLabs:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030608130530/ht … ata/wcvppro.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20030618035911/ht … vppro/index.htm
And some articles I've found about the P10 itself:
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/p10/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/905

I haven't gotten to testing out actual games with it yet - but if I remember to, I'll update the thread when I do. I'm guessing it will do okay based on the 3DMark results and the presence of various "game profiles" in the DirectX sub-section of the drivers.

I was thinking maybe if your drive is partitioned as FAT32, you could make a directory for the DOS Soundblaster Live drivers found here, http://easymamecab.mameworld.info/html/snddosdr.htm set up a DOS 7 or FreeDOS bootdisk to load the drivers from that directory, and then try to run Doom, or really any other DOS game that supports Soundblaster + General Midi.

Reply 11 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

Update to the above reply; I re-ran 3D01 to check this (for folks following at home, it's the "Advanced Pixel Shader" test). With the DirectX Default profile loaded there's maybe 1 or 2 dots (and I probably would've gone along forever and never noticed it if you hadn't asked); however switching to the Direct3D Games Default profile and a lot more dots do appear momentarily (this change doesn't improve 3DMark score or change fillrate either, so I'd just leave it on "Default" vs "Games Default" and be through with it). I didn't try all of the other profiles since it requires a restart to change 😒.

I'm not sure if that's similar to what you're seeing - it's a very momentary thing.

I also ran AquaMark 3 (or attempted to) - plenty of corruption on the textures on the first part, and it ran at about 4 FPS so I just aborted it instead of sitting there and watching it for howeverlong. 🤣 (I honestly didn't expect it would run that well).

Reply 12 of 13, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes that sounds like what I get - thanks for having a look and finding out. I have only tried the games default and "diablo 2" profiles, which perform very similarly in 3dmark2001. Not come across aquamark.

Reply 13 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

Yes that sounds like what I get - thanks for having a look and finding out. I have only tried the games default and "diablo 2" profiles, which perform very similarly in 3dmark2001. Not come across aquamark.

I wasn't surprised AQ3 ran poorly - it's a bit new/demanding for a DX8 card (GeForce FX runs it so-so; ime GeForce 6 and higher do a better job). As far as the VPs, try the DX Default - seems to more or less eliminate the issue (there was maybe one or two dots that I actually saw). 😀