VOGONS

First post, by artiemog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Digital Equipment DECpc 433 MT from 1993 that I have slowly been restoring. It's been quite an interesting system to work with. I'd like to use it mostly for DOS games, but I also have some other software on it like Microsoft Office, and I might try to see if I can find an old CAD program or something that will work on it.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i486DX-33
RAM: 12 MB (3x4 MB SIMMs)
HDD: Maxtor 60 GB 7200 RPM drive divided into 4 ~2 GB partitions
Graphics: S3 86c924 (integrated on motherboard), 512K VRAM
Sound: OPTi 82c931
Other: DEC DE-202 10BASE-T/Thinwire Ethernet card

Speedsys:
yzV6Vgx.png

Service Guide / Original Press Release

Although the case says that the computer is a DECpc 433 MTE, it really has the motherboard of an MT. They were very similar systems, but the MTE had a few extra features like an EISA bus, real time clock, and flash BIOS. This error made it quite difficult for me when I was looking for system utilities and BIOS updates!

The system does not have a battery. The motherboard has a header and a Velcro pad for one, but I have been unable to find anything specifying what kind of battery to use, so I haven't purchased one. The system works fine without the battery, but the CMOS settings are lost after a few days of non-use, and the clock does not run while the system is off, so it has to be reset on each boot.

I replaced the original 256? MB hard drive with the Maxtor it currently has after the original drive's controller card died (almost immediately after I restored Windows to a functional state...). I also added the 3rd SIMM, the CD drive, and the OPTi sound card. The sound card has pretty crappy synthesis, but it's better than having no sound at all, and it was given to me for free, so I'm not complaining.

The only real problem I have with this machine is its graphics performance. The best video mode I can use in Windows is 800x600, 256 colours. Any higher resolution and I have to drop down to 16 colours, even though there are better video modes available in the drivers. Theoretically I should be able to go up to 1280x1024, 256 colours with this chipset, but selecting that driver makes Windows fail to load. Elder Scrolls: Arena is also next to unplayable because the graphics are so laggy even at the lowest setting. That's the most demanding game I've tried on this system yet, but it should work more than fine on my system in theory. Even the flying Windows logo screensaver is laggy until it has run for about a minute or two.

To Do, Near Future:

• Remove the Ethernet card. I don't plan to use it, and it's just taking up system resources. Once I do that, I'll move the sound card over to IRQ5, which will hopefully fix some compatibility issues I've been having.
  • I was recently given a Cyrix 486DX2-66 that I would like to put in the system. I need to pull the CPU daughterboard to see if it has a voltage jumper, though, as the Cyrix CPU is supposed to run at 3.3V. And even then, I don't even know if the thing will work...it had been sitting in the bottom of a plastic crate for who knows how long, and has several bent pins, although they're not too bad. Anyone know if I should use a heatsink/fan with this processor?

To Do, Far Future:

• I'd like to replace the OPTi sound card with a SoundBlaster that has a real OPL3. This can wait, though, because I don't really want to put much money into this machine right now.
  • I'd also like to get a Roland MT-32 or CM-32L, but it seems you can't find these online for under US$100. I guess I'll just have to wait to see if I can find one for cheap locally. At any rate, it's not of very much importance right now.
  • I still have the original CRT monitor that came with the system, but it died quite a while back. Maybe one day I'll get it repaired and use it again.

Pictures of the system are attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    front_back.jpg
    File size
    2.2 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    The front and back of the system
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    mobo-5MB.jpg
    File size
    4.56 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    The motherboard
    File license
  • Filename
    s3_ram_2.JPG
    File size
    1017.97 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Close-up of the S3 graphics chip, the RAM, and the VRAM
    File license

Reply 1 of 9, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the chassis!

A few points:
The HDD is overkill, plus I like the original sound of the old hard drives.
For 1280x1024@8bit color you need 1,25MB vga framebuffer size, but you have only 0,5MB. So you are correctly limited to 800x600@8bit.
Add the 4th simm. They are dirt cheap!

Is the Opti card compatible with many dos games? Can you upload the dos/win 3.1 drivers? 😀

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 2 of 9, by artiemog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GeorgeMan wrote:

The HDD is overkill, plus I like the original sound of the old hard drives.

Yes, I agree, but this is the only spare drive I had after the original one died. To me it's just not worth it to track an older one down, especially since it would have a higher chance of failure. However, if one fell into my lap, I may consider substituting it.

GeorgeMan wrote:

For 1280x1024@8bit color you need 1,25MB vga framebuffer size, but you have only 0,5MB. So you are correctly limited to 800x600@8bit.

Ah, I didn't realize this. It makes sense though. I guess I need to track down some more VRAM, since this computer can go up to 1 MB.

GeorgeMan wrote:

Add the 4th simm. They are dirt cheap!

I probably will eventually, but it's not that high on my priority list right now. The system seems to run just fine with 12 MB.

GeorgeMan wrote:

Is the Opti card compatible with many dos games? Can you upload the dos/win 3.1 drivers? 😀

I'm glad you asked. I've gotten it to work with almost all games I've tried, but many game config programs will only see it in Adlib mode, not SoundBlaster mode. That may be because I have it on a nonstandard IRQ, so I'll have to see if that changes once I remove the ethernet card and get the OPTi back on IRQ5. I'll see about uploading the drivers.

Reply 3 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a nice honest PC you have there. Nothing extreme like the fastest CPU or best sound card. 12-24x CD-Roms were common to find on 486's ether as a late upgrade or to replace a failed earlier drive.
I wish you luck on holding out not spending money, a Sound blaster can be had cheaply, as can ram, then you catch the bug and want to get other parts for it which aren't so easy to find and before you know it you have all sorts of hardware floating around

Reply 4 of 9, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That case design just screams business...it's very nice and looks to be in amazing shape. ..reminds me of the digital computers we had at high school...I am drooling over the photo s you posted...I have never come across an old 486 digital on my retro gear hunts ever. I do agree with one of the earlier post that you should upgrade your ram but only to a maximum of 16mb...I would also try to find a nice color matching 5.25 fdd and of course a better video card. You should use a cpu cooler of some sort on the 486 66 if you get one...I have always used a cooler of some sort on mine...never have seen one used without.

I think getting he original matching crt repaired as you mention would be a good move. Do you have the original digital keyboard as well? If so, is it of the mechanical variety?

Reply 5 of 9, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It surprises me to see an ATX style connector-set and SMD components on a mainboard from 1992.
Two questions popped up:
Is the CPU hidden behind the Floppy drive?
What is that top most card for, that is directly below the S3 graphics chip?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 9, by artiemog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

I wish you luck on holding out not spending money, a Sound blaster can be had cheaply, as can ram, then you catch the bug and want to get other parts for it which aren't so easy to find and before you know it you have all sorts of hardware floating around

Yes, that's exactly why I'm trying to be frugal, because I'm afraid of catching the bug! 😜

retrofanatic wrote:

Do you have the original digital keyboard as well? If so, is it of the mechanical variety?

Oh gosh, I wish. I've actually looked to see if such a thing can be found, but I haven't had any luck. I do have a mechanical keyboard that came with a 386 system, but it's so nice that I use it with my main computer (via an AT-to-PS/2 adapter connected to a PS/2-to-USB adapter!) instead of my 486.

gerwin wrote:

Is the CPU hidden behind the Floppy drive?
What is that top most card for, that is directly below the S3 graphics chip?

That top card is actually a CPU daughercard. Not sure why DEC decided to use that design instead of just putting a socket directly on the motherboard. My best guess would be that since they used the same motherboard for all the computers in the MT series, it might facilitate a better modular design or allow for easier end-user upgrades. I'll snap a picture of it when I go to see about adding the Cyrix CPU, but I'm not sure when I'll have time to do that.

Reply 7 of 9, by artiemog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I pulled out the Ethernet card today. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the computer boots a bit faster now that it doesn't have to load the ROM from it. Since it was gone, I moved the OPTi sound card to IRQ5 where it belongs. I'll have to do some more testing, but at least one game (Monkey Island 2) will now recognize it as a SoundBlaster instead of an Adlib, although the sound quality didn't change at all.

A friend of mine also gave me some RAM that he was throwing out...but unfortunately both sticks were dead. No 4th SIMM for me yet.

I have an account with VogonsDrivers now, so I'll try to get those drivers that GeorgeMan requested posted tomorrow.