VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just kinda threw this together from extra parts I had. only thing I bought specifically for it was the AMD k6-III+ chip. running it completely stable OC to 550mhz and Win 98SE.

specs

EP-MVP3G2 motherboard
AMD K6-III+ 450mhz OC @ 550mhz
512MB RAM
one 500MB hard drive and one 37GB hard drive
Win 98SE w/ unofficial service pack
AGP TNT2 Ultra w/32MB RAM (unfortunately its the creative version of the card so its clocked at the standard 150mhz, not so Ultra)
ISA Sound Blaster 16 (for DOS compatibility)
ethernet card and modem card

100_7442_zpsdf01db5d.jpg

100_7446_zpse8c3c7d5.jpg

its a cool machine but now that its all put together I really have no use for it. I have much better Win 98 and DOS machines that serve those purposes.

Reply 1 of 5, by matt102498

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Almost looks like I'm staring down my board. I've always been nervous that overclocking any of my PCs would shorten their lifespan, even at stock voltage. At least you're not fighting an Aureal to the death right now. I'll never bring myself to purchase a Creative product. Too bad it won't see any use!

Main Rig: ABIT IC7-MAXIII P4 EE 3.4GHz 4GB OCZ Platinum HIS Radeon 4670HD AGP 120Gb OCZ SSD
Retro: EPoX MVP3G5 K6-III 450 768 CL2 ASUS Geforce 5950 Ultra Aureal Vortex
Looking for: IBM PS/1 supporting 64mb ram

Reply 2 of 5, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matt102498 wrote:

Almost looks like I'm staring down my board. I've always been nervous that overclocking any of my PCs would shorten their lifespan, even at stock voltage. At least you're not fighting an Aureal to the death right now. I'll never bring myself to purchase a Creative product. Too bad it won't see any use!

Of all the PC's I own retro and modern this is the only one I have OC'ed mostly for the same reasons you gave. I guess with this one I just wanted to push the SS7 I suppose it helps that I wouldn't really care if this one burst into flames. Well maybe a little...

at 560mhz I can get it to post but its pretty unstable, usually crashes loading Windows. The heatsink/fan combo isnt stock for it but its nothing really special just maybe slightly beefier then the stock heatsink/fan.

I actually have a Diamond Monster MX300 I considered putting in it but I figured I had an ISA slot may as well use it. I agree, its a shame It won't really see any use but I just cant think of a real reason to use it when I have a few other better and more refined options. I actually have that issue with a few other machines I have sitting around namely my duel 1.4ghz tulatin machine

Reply 3 of 5, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Came across a cheap Voodoo 3 AGP card at the flea market yesterday and swapped it out with the TNT2. I know its capable of less color depth and has half the RAM but I read the V3 plays a better with AMD chips and takes advantage of 3Dnow!

Reply 5 of 5, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dacow wrote:

So you're not planning to time machine it or anything? 😀

not really any point. I already have more refined and specific PC's for Win95 98 and XP.

this one was just kinda built cause I was curious about the k6-III+. Its really a nice "jack of all trades" machine I think but honestly I probably won't bother with it much. same with my duel Tulatin machine.

I may use it if I ever do anything with video capture though since the V3 does have that S-video out.