VOGONS

Anouther dual Tualatin machine.

Topic actions

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everyone's been posting their Tualatin machines lately and I felt left out. Mine is very similar to the one Schizofrik has built in another thread. The mismatch of color drives is because I mostly made this machine out of extra parts I had laying around that were not in use so it hasn't been a really planned out rig.

Specs
OS dual boot Win98SE w/unofficial service pack and Windows XP professional SP3
Motherboard Tyan S2507T
dual P3 Tualatin-S 1.4ghz
1GB PC133 SDRAM (supports up to 1.5 of PC133 and 2GB of PC100)
Geforce 3 ti500
Audigy 2 ZS sound card
generic USB card
generic Ethernet card
1.44mb floppy drive
CD drive
DVD drive
250mb ZIP drive
40GB hard drive (10GB FAT32 with Win98SE and 30GB NTFS Win XP)

100_7618_zpsa0abf325.jpg

100_7613_zps4d194a55.jpg

100_7609_zpsb3e45a18.jpg

I know the hard drive is on the small side but as I said I just kinda put it together with what was in reach. This is not my main Windows 98 or XP rig so I think the HDD size is fine for my needs.That said, sadly like my AMD k6-III+ this machine probably won't see much use.

I like the case though. Its that generic off white kind of case we saw so much of in the late 90's but the little bit it sorta flairs out on the right side where the stickers are give it some personality.

Reply 3 of 21, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the DVD drive - I've never seen one like that before. I also think 40GB should be okay for Windows XP - a lot of older games are relatively small (few hundred MB or less), not the 10-20GB/ea of modern titles.

Reply 7 of 21, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

Stop with Tualatin machines already or I'll have to build one too 😜

Besides you,I am the only one who didn't build a Tualatin machine,mainly because I just skip Tualatins and go straight to the P4 era.
On the other side,I'd love getting my hands on a Gigabyte GA-8TX and a S423 CPU.That way my RDRAM (I do have a few sticks!)won't feel lonely.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 8 of 21, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

Heh, yhea they remind me of nuclear reactor cooling rods. To bad the Tualatin is a poor overclocker.

Tualatins in general are good overclockers, the problem is the the PIII-S 1.4 is already top-of-the-line.
You'd have to raise FSB and probably voltage to overclock, and I don't know if your board supports that. Temperature shouldn't be an issue, especially not with your cooling.

Celerons are much easier, with my 1.0A I just had to set the FSB to 133 and be done. For the 1.1 that should work too, the faster ones might not make FSB 133 easily.

Reply 9 of 21, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soviet conscript wrote:

Heh, yhea they remind me of nuclear reactor cooling rods. To bad the Tualatin is a poor overclocker.

I've seen people push the 1.4ghz chips to close to 1.7ghz already, but those are few and far between. You need a magic chip to get that speed out of them. 1.5 to 1.6 is more common.

Reply 10 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have been running my dual Tualatin system at 1.5 GHz for approx. 2 months now. The system is on 24-7 and I have not had any problems arise that I am aware of. I think 1.53 or 1.54 GHz was the max that would run reliably at the stock CPU voltages, so I took the speed down to 1.50 GHz. I do not beleive the motherboard I am using has an option to up the voltage, which is likely why I cannot push the speeds any higher.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 11 of 21, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

I have been running my dual Tualatin system at 1.5 GHz for approx. 2 months now. The system is on 24-7 and I have not had any problems arise that I am aware of. I think 1.53 or 1.54 GHz was the max that would run reliably at the stock CPU voltages, so I took the speed down to 1.50 GHz. I do not beleive the motherboard I am using has an option to up the voltage, which is likely why I cannot push the speeds any higher.

doesn't look like my motherboard allows any overclocking. At least not any easy way I can see so I'm stuck with 1.4ghz. poor overkill heatsinks not going to any use.

Reply 12 of 21, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice ! 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 13 of 21, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you had any problems with the Audigy 2 ZS in Windows 98SE? I'm wanting to get one along with the front bay live drive for my upcoming build 😁

Reply 14 of 21, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaDangerDen wrote:

Have you had any problems with the Audigy 2 ZS in Windows 98SE? I'm wanting to get one along with the front bay live drive for my upcoming build 😁

nope, I also use the same card in my main Win 98SE rig that runs on a AMD athlon. from what I've researched there pretty much the best sound cards for win 98 (if you don't care about dos stuff and real opl chips) since i think there the last or one of the last with native 98 drivers. good sounding cards if you ask me.

the driver installation takes forever though and if your primarily gaming be sure to switch the drivers after install from default to the other kind...i forget what their called wmd and vmd or something.

but yhea, been running one for awhile in my other machine primarily gaming and never had an issue.

Reply 15 of 21, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Switch from WDM (default) to VxD with the driver utility. 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 17 of 21, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pulled this machine back out tonight to groom it to be a Splinter Cell rig. did an initial 3D Mark 2001SE benchmark and got 5525 marks. swapped the gf3 out for a gf4 ti4600 and then tweaked the BIOS settings and ended up with 8106 3d marks