VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, another build to show of with a new case I recently acquired from a fellow Vogoner here in Norway 😀

2014-06-29-00-25-08-small.jpg

The purpose behind this build was to put together something out of the ordinary while also keeping it usable. I won't be using this system as my main gaming systems, but as my main 1995-1996 Windows 95/DOS machine (the rest has Win98SE). I also liked that the case had a P133 sticker on it (probably for a Socket 7 system, but who cares about such details 😜)

So lets dive into the important specs:

• Intel Pentium Overdrive 133 (PODP5V133)
  • Intel Premiere/PCI Socket4 motherboard with 256kb async cache (Intel Mercury 430LX chipset)
  • 32MB RAM (4x8MB)
  • Hercules Dynamite 128 ET6000 2MB
  • Creative Soundblaster AWE64 Gold
  • Canopus Pure3D 6MB Voodoo Graphics
  • Adaptec SCSI Card 19160 PCI
  • Seagate Cheetah 10K.7 36GB 68pin SCSI (Week 48 2005)
  • Plextor SCSI 12/10/32S 50pin CD-ROM Writer
  • 3Com Etherlink III ISA 10mbit

Some pictures of the hardware:
2014-06-28-22-43-04-small.jpg
Intel Premiere/PCI motherboard with 32MB of RAM and the PODP5V133 installed. I'm missing the fan on the CPU, so have to use external cooling. Luckily it is based on the newer Pentiums so it does not run very hot compared to the original P66 5V CPU.

2014-06-28-23-04-05-small.jpg
Closeup.

2014-06-28-23-02-08-small.jpg
Hercules Dynamite 128 ET6000 2MB. Unfortunately not the 4MB version and it's not upgradable. I'm happy with the VGA performance and signal output quality.

2014-06-28-23-02-39-small.jpg
Canopus Pure3D 6MB Voodoo Graphics. Yes I have the cable as well 😀 Not so much you can use a Voodoo card in a system like this, but there are some early supported games that run fine like Descent 2, Whiplash, Hellbender, etc. I've not connected the fan as I don't believe the card will see much heavy use. The case fan will provide adequate cooling.

2014-06-28-23-03-45-small.jpg
Not too much to say about this card, everyone have one I guess? Using external MIDI devices all connected with my KVM system for video/keyboard/sound and MIDI.

2014-06-28-23-02-54-small.jpg
The SCSI card from Adaptec. It was taken from a Pentium 4 machine. No problem using it in this system with the attached drive/CD-ROM.

Everything installed
2014-06-29-00-06-24-small.jpg
The COM ports on the board is not working (someone has changed the keyboard DIN port at somepoint and ruined the ports with the sloppy soldering). So to be able to use a serial mouse I've installed an ISA IDE I/O card.

2014-06-29-00-25-33-small.jpg
Case from the back

System powered on along with my KVM setup. It is joined by my 386 and my 440BX systems.
2014-06-29-00-49-02-small.jpg

Summary:
The system have been very stable and performance wise it is about equal as a quick Pentium 100 in a Socket 7 system with Pipeline Burst Cache. If someone is curious to see how it performs with both an original Pentium 66 CPU and the Overdrive currently installed take a look atPhil's VGA Benchmark database. It's missing a PS/2 port which is the biggest drawback atm.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 39, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

can u post some HDD benchmark? also i wanna see a video (youtube maybe), very interested in how well a scsi drive works in this PC

Reply 2 of 39, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is a Speedsys bench:
20140629032327.jpg

For comparison I'm including this SiS 50X (which were used on Socket4 and 5 boards) benchmark with a 15k RPM SCSI drive using an Adaptec 2940W controller:
20140622153131.jpg

Note that the memory and L1/L2 cache speeds are basically the same.

Reply 4 of 39, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Fantastic build vetz. Is this board's version the Batman's revenge one?

Yes it is 😀

Reply 6 of 39, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have got the same case here, only mine is a MIDI tower version of your case.. Iam going to use that one on my pentium 1 build.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 7 of 39, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like this build.

It's interesting that your PODP5V133 heatsink is broken in almost the same manner as mine.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 39, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I like this build.

It's interesting that your PODP5V133 heatsink is broken in almost the same manner as mine.

Yeah, a piece of the heatsink is indeed missing. Maybe they both came from the same source?

Great stuff. I think I have an ET6000 with 4MB RAM somewhere. It's not really getting any use, would you like to have it (for free, obviously!) ?

Thanks for the offer, but you can hold on to it 😀 More likely I will upgrade to a Riva128 PCI or something.

Reply 9 of 39, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know it won't be easy but maybe you can pop off the ruined cooler and cut another that will work better. Pretty nice build and finding a working socket 4 board is a pain.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 10 of 39, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice!! Good to see a working socket 4 system with 3DFX. I have two socket 4 PCI Premier motherboards, one of which uses a riser card. On another Socket 4 Gigabyte motherboard with a Techworks Voodoo 1 that I have, Quake timedemo only gained 5 fps going from Pentium 66 to Pentium Overdrive 133, there was a noticeable gain while playing Quake Rally in GLQuake.

Reply 11 of 39, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This system is going back to storage. Playing without a modern PS/2 mouse is just unbearable for the games designed to run on it. Switching it out in my KVM system with my Socket 3 Pentium Overdrive system clocked to 100mhz which performs about equal, but have a PS/2 mouse port.

Reply 12 of 39, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried any serial to ps/2 adaptors? I know a lot of the MS ps/2 mice retained serial compatibility.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 13 of 39, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Have you tried any serial to ps/2 adaptors? I know a lot of the MS ps/2 mice retained serial compatibility.

Don't own any and from what I've read none of them work very well. I'm using optical/laser USB mouses with PS/2 compatibility, so they don't work with serial ports. If someone can design and sell a working ps/2 to serial mouse adapter then they'll make money on it 😀

Reply 14 of 39, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Come to think of it all the ps/2 mice that I have got working with a serial port have been ball mice. And after getting used to optical/laser mice ball mice SUCK 😀 I have a 3 button Logitech Mouseman that works with Serial, as far as ball mice go I can vouch for those.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 15 of 39, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Don't own any and from what I've read none of them work very well. I'm using optical/laser USB mouses with PS/2 compatibility, so they don't work with serial ports. If someone can design and sell a working ps/2 to serial mouse adapter then they'll make money on it 😀

I've got an "administrator series" Belkin KVM switch that features both PS/2 and COM connectivity and I've heard that they have a solid active PS/2 to COM converter. I'm currently waiting for the cables to arrive (damn this Russian post). I'll let you know if it is any good.

Reply 17 of 39, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

I've got an "administrator series" Belkin KVM switch that features both PS/2 and COM connectivity and I've heard that they have a solid active PS/2 to COM converter. I'm currently waiting for the cables to arrive (damn this Russian post). I'll let you know if it is any good.

Please do, I've been looking into these KVM options, but haven't heard any user reports you see. Since I fried my KVM switch the other day this may turn out to be a good thing.

EDIT: I found this in the manual for one of the Belkin's KVM (model nr: F1D066):

How do I control several computers if some use serial mice and others use PS/2? • The OmniView PS/2 supports either PS/2- or AT- […]
Show full quote

How do I control several computers if some use serial mice and others use PS/2?
• The OmniView PS/2 supports either PS/2- or AT-style (serial) mice. Note that the OmniView does
not convert from one type to the other. If you wish to use PS/2 mice on some PCs and serial mice
on others, you must attach two mice, one of each type, to the console port on the top-level
OmniView. This allows control of multiple computers from one monitor, one keyboard, and two
mice.

Reply 18 of 39, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It has PCI. Aren't there ways to rig up a USB mouse?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 19 of 39, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

It has PCI. Aren't there ways to rig up a USB mouse?

It will probably work OK for Windows usage, but not DOS.