VOGONS

The Last of the True Tandys

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 32, by mwenek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As a past owner of a Tandy TL1000, anything with Deskmate in ROM is "true Tandy" enough!

Win98SE Box: PIII 850, 128MB, 8 GB HDD, CL Live!, ATI 9600XT, 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
DOS Box: Intel 80 Mhz P24T Socket 3 OD, 16MB, 128MB CF Drive, Number 9 VLB, SiiG VLB IDE, SoundBlaster 16 ISA/WaveBlaster

Reply 22 of 32, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mwenek wrote:

As a past owner of a Tandy TL1000, anything with Deskmate in ROM is "true Tandy" enough!

I made a mistake in my original post, VSWITCH does not work with a Tandy 1000 TX, it works with a Tandy 1000 TL.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 23 of 32, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mwenek wrote:

Fortunately, I have one of those too.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 24 of 32, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would love to have a Tandy 1000. However being from Europe this is very difficult. Maybe if in the future i get crazy...

I wonder what is the right Tandy to choose. I imagine it would the a TL or an SL. I have some Tandy compatible games, some with 5.25 media others with 3.5. So i would prefer that the computer would have 2 floppy drives, a 3.5 and a 5.25. A Hard Drive would be mandatory as well, so XT-IDE would be ideal. Then i would need a voltage step down converter to make our European 220V work on the 110V power supply.

How proprietary are the pinouts for the Tandy 1000 PSU's? Much too diferent to the AT PSU's?

Reply 25 of 32, by mwenek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
carlostex wrote:

I would love to have a Tandy 1000. However being from Europe this is very difficult. Maybe if in the future i get crazy...

I wonder what is the right Tandy to choose. I imagine it would the a TL or an SL. I have some Tandy compatible games, some with 5.25 media others with 3.5. So i would prefer that the computer would have 2 floppy drives, a 3.5 and a 5.25. A Hard Drive would be mandatory as well, so XT-IDE would be ideal. Then i would need a voltage step down converter to make our European 220V work on the 110V power supply.

How proprietary are the pinouts for the Tandy 1000 PSU's? Much too diferent to the AT PSU's?

http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/images/C … rdsOutLarge.JPG

I honestly can't tell nor remember from the old days when I had one.
This is the best photo I could find online.

Win98SE Box: PIII 850, 128MB, 8 GB HDD, CL Live!, ATI 9600XT, 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
DOS Box: Intel 80 Mhz P24T Socket 3 OD, 16MB, 128MB CF Drive, Number 9 VLB, SiiG VLB IDE, SoundBlaster 16 ISA/WaveBlaster

Reply 26 of 32, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

The Tandys use a completely different 9-pin connector. but the voltages are the same except for -5v, which the Tandy knocks down from the -12v line on the motherboard. More importantly, the power supply is in a unique shape. You won't be able to mount an AT power supply in any Tandy chassis.

The Tandy SL and TL are much more Internationally friendly than the earlier models. They can accept any XT keyboard, including those that use a non-U.S. layout.

Reply 27 of 32, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the PSU could be probably modified to accept 220V, and it would probably need recapping as well for longevity. The gorilla in the room is that shipping one from the US is very expensive.

Reply 28 of 32, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If shipping cost is a major concern, you may wish to consider a Tandy 1000 RL. It is probably the lightest of the Tandy 1000s in terms of weight. Its power supply is only 25W. You can use a 5.25" drive with it, but you will have to run the ribbon cable outside the case and power the drive separately.

Reply 30 of 32, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

If shipping cost is a major concern, you may wish to consider a Tandy 1000 RL. It is probably the lightest of the Tandy 1000s in terms of weight. Its power supply is only 25W. You can use a 5.25" drive with it, but you will have to run the ribbon cable outside the case and power the drive separately.

I like the RL, it includes the Tandy DAC, 9MHz 8086 and its very slim. I'll try to get one. Only drawback is no 5.25 drive like you say.

With shipping the problm isn't just shipping cost but customs charges as well. Even if i buy a Tandy for 0 USD the shipping cost will likely be high enough for customs processing and charges.

Reply 31 of 32, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

Is it? I would have thought an EX,HX and similarly styled models would be lightest.

Reply 32 of 32, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:

Is it? I would have thought an EX,HX and similarly styled models would be lightest.

They weigh about the same, although the RL's hard drive adds nearly 1.5 lbs.