VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This would be my last system build, and it is also the not so retro build actually. I planned this build as a 32-bit machine build only (because it is fast and it also could cover the latest windows xp games.
I planned this build as 32-bit build, because nowdays we are using 64-bit systems only. And these systems cant cope with 16-bit software anymore. I wanted to build this so it also can cover all the games from latest windows xp till now.. Because i cant look in the further what microsoft is planned with the new windows 9, i still thinking of quitting on windows operating systems.for good. The course they are going to sail iam really not on that side actually..(its to different i get used to)I really dont like that `tiles` style microsoft is intended to use on all of there future products. And its more privacy sensitive now, what i also really dont like. And also those apps come out my throat. (just really hate it)

For future main system i was thinking of switching to linux.. Yes this is new to me, but i hope i quickly get used to. It is not certain which operating systems iam going to run on this build of maybe my last windows machine.
But mainly i think ill go for windows 7 professional 32-bit (and i think of running windows xp on virtual mode, i dont know if this is the best bet) And from my current main computer i also have windows 7 ultimate 64-bit running that i also can use it to this build also.

I did some research which computer platform would be the best choice to use for this build, because of

*sata 600
*more pci-e lanes
*faster sata 600 ports incompared with AMD 990FX
*more energy efficient
* Enough performance.

I decided to go for the sandy bridge / ivy bridge route. For now i have a intel core 2 quad qx9650 and asus p5Q3 deluxe wifi apn in this computer case.. But i dont think that system wont be fast enough as a 2600K /2700K system without a low power draw. I actually think it also wont even possible to OC it to 2600k / 2700k speeds.

The components so far it going to use:

CASE

Corsair Graphite 600T computer case white ( I like it because of the removable dust filters)

Graphics
MSI twin frozr III 660GTX ( i think is have 2GB of memory) (its sitting in my main system, but bought it some months ago for this system build)

Processor
Intel core i5 2500k / core i7 2600k / core i7 2700k (depents on what i can buy)

Memory
If it would be a 32-bit system only i stick with 4GB / If i also decide to take 64-bit os also i will stick with 8GB of ram.

Motherboard

Iam planned to use this motherboard:
1330696350.jpeg
Hope if it would be available, i know these boards are older boards that would be EOL soon.

Later more...

Last edited by Robin4 on 2014-07-24, 01:08. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 5, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not XP 32bit + 7 64bit?

Will give you best compatibility range IMO. That way you can use RAM >4GB out of the box for the 7 64bit, and then you can also setup RAMDISK for the XP 32bit (might have to buy the software though) to make use of the extra RAM.

Also pay special attention to the motherboard's XP drivers (for example, Intel doesn't support USB 3.0 on XP, but Renesas does).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 2 of 5, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like this project. More and more it looks like W7 will be a pivotal point in the arc of future retro gaming. You have quite a few ways to approach it - for myself I ganged XP 32-bit with W98se on a souped-up single-core based rig [using the RLOWE memory patch to get W98se to play along], and plan to preserve *intact* my current 64-bit W7 system [AMD 8350/HD 7870] for the late XP/W7 era.

I'll cross the W9+ bridge when I reach it...

Reply 3 of 5, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
archsan wrote:

Why not XP 32bit + 7 64bit?

Will give you best compatibility range IMO. That way you can use RAM >4GB out of the box for the 7 64bit, and then you can also setup RAMDISK for the XP 32bit (might have to buy the software though) to make use of the extra RAM.

Also pay special attention to the motherboard's XP drivers (for example, Intel doesn't support USB 3.0 on XP, but Renesas does).

Yes i was also thinking of using windows xp 32-bit. But iam really not sure if this would be save? (because of those bugs they cant solve anymore)
Few months ago i bought a retail windows 7 professional SP1 version from ebay.. But these double disk versions 32&64 bit versions can only activated by once.. So i had planned to use it as 32-bit.)

At this moment iam running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit on my main system.. But for this system iam think to leave the windows section for good (i really cant get use to work with the newer windows versions. And also cant go with microsofts new ideas about those windows 8 and 9 versions.) So i was planning to change to linux instead and hope the best.

Iam already checked if the used motherboard had drivers for windows xp till windows 7.. Yes it does, also windows xp having drivers for this motherboard:
http://www.asrock.nl/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme6/ … =Download&os=XP

I wasnt really afraid that there wasnt USB 3.0 drivers for windows xp.. Because in that period this motherboard was released, the manufacturers did mostly used USB 3.0 controller chips on this boards.
Not only Renesas do support windows xp usb3.0 also Etron will do..

tincup wrote:

I like this project. More and more it looks like W7 will be a pivotal point in the arc of future retro gaming. You have quite a few ways to approach it - for myself I ganged XP 32-bit with W98se on a souped-up single-core based rig [using the RLOWE memory patch to get W98se to play along], and plan to preserve *intact* my current 64-bit W7 system [AMD 8350/HD 7870] for the late XP/W7 era.

I'll cross the W9+ bridge when I reach it...

Iam not sure if iam going to windows 9, it would more be a phone like OS so it would also been compatible with desktop pcs.. I really dont like the idea of still buying every 5 years of time a new windows OS..
When iam already 'm used to it, then i can already change to a new windows version. OSx is for not an option for now, because you need to use hackintosch iam really dont know how it works. Its just to complicated for me.
Why i like windows 7? It doesnt use that ugly modern UI style, it dont use those `tiles` i really dont like. And also i dont like that `app` idea too.

My intentions was also to support windows 7 games too.. So i have one system for a big range of games.. And what kind of hardware iam using it for, i really dont care. It just need to be compatible with the older windows xp stuff too. And the graphics cards needs to have to right speed to handle everything..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4 of 5, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

Yes i was also thinking of using windows xp 32-bit. But iam really not sure if this would be save? (because of those bugs they cant solve anymore)
Few months ago i bought a retail windows 7 professional SP1 version from ebay.. But these double disk versions 32&64 bit versions can only activated by once.. So i had planned to use it as 32-bit.)

At this moment iam running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit on my main system.. But for this system iam think to leave the windows section for good (i really cant get use to work with the newer windows versions. And also cant go with microsofts new ideas about those windows 8 and 9 versions.) So i was planning to change to linux instead and hope the best.

Yeah, I'm sticking with 7 myself, though there's a chance it will be capped to DX11 when DX12 goes out. 😒

As for win7 activation, I'm sure you'll still be able to re-activate the retail license when changing from 32-bit to 64-bit. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fo … 29-bfe221218c0e

As for XP (or any OS no longer current really) being safe/secure -- actually I'd keep it strictly offline (once installed, firewalled, *activated*, and updated). For programs activations/updates etc, usually there are offline methods/options as well.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 5 of 5, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:

As for win7 activation, I'm sure you'll still be able to re-activate the retail license when changing from 32-bit to 64-bit. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fo … 29-bfe221218c0e

Or you could backup the activation and restore it in a separate installation on the same hardware. I did this to install Windows 7 32bit on a notebook that came with Windows 7 64bit, and I didn't have to enter the (OEM) license key using this method. I think I used this tool for that purpose. (The "Beta with Windows 7 Support" remark sounds funny but I couldn't find anything better at the time, and it worked.)