VOGONS

First post, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i´ve built retrogaming machine with following:

MB: AOpen AX59 Pro
Processor: AMD K6-2 350 MHz (450/550 waiting for testing)
Memory: 128 Mb SDRAM
Displayadapter: ATI Rage 128 Pro 16 Mb
3D: Voodoo2 12Mb SLI
Sound: Ensonic AudioPCI (AWE 32 waiting for install)
CD-ROM: LG CD/CD-R (waiting for right era cd-rom writer)
HD: Seagate Medalist ST36531A 6 Gb
Seagate ST320410A 20 Gb
Case: Unknown Commodore brand -> http://picpaste.com/WP_20140506_22_14_50_Pro-rG4O5WnW.jpg

Tried to make this thing as it would have been in 90´s. Unreal, Half Life, Quake, Quake 2 and such...

http://picpaste.com/Retrokone_09082014-ziVRshax.jpg

Beside that machine i have AST Bravo LC 4/66d with Cyrix CX486DX2 66 MHz, 32 Mb RAM, 540 Mb HD, Diamond Stealth 24 VLB for really old games. NHL 95 is my favorite with this combination.

:EDIT: ...and i just have to do something with this... http://picpaste.com/WP_20140810_19_08_27_Pro-4ict9yI2.jpg

Last edited by tokroger on 2014-08-10, 16:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice! I really like that motherboard. Got one as well and it's very good.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 9, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, works like a charm 😀 that case is something i would like to have comments and ideas what it is? i´ve tried to search pictures and mighty web but haven´t seen anything like that branded with Commodore logo.. found it from junk and it was empty, only AT PS was inside of it. There's no tags on the case so i just keep wondering...

Reply 3 of 9, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That case is totally wicked! 😁
Would be even more awesome if you could fit an A1200 inside it, but I guess that's not possible if it's a standard ATX case. Not without extensive modifications at least?

I got a motherboard like that myself. How much cache does yours have? I've heard you could get them with as much as 2MB, but mine has 1MB (I had one back in the days as well, but with only 512KB). There's supposed to be a slight performance gain with 2MB, even with K6-II+/III cpus, but these days you can't really be too picky with parts, and have to settle for what you can find 😀
That's a nice system. May it serve you well for a long time.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first thought was that it might be the case of some Commodore PC model, but I couldn't find a matching image. (You are aware that Commodore made IBM compatible PCs/ATs?)

Reply 5 of 9, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, I'm aware they did. But their reputation as a manufacturer of IBM compatibles was next to nothing next to the legendary status of the Amiga. It could also be a generic case with an aftermarket "Commodore" mod I suppose? I can't remember if they still made PC's in the ATX era, seeing as they went bust in 1994. It would have been from one of their really late systems I'd guess at least. It's got high retro/nostalgia value nonetheless.
I imagine Commodore having quite a lot of brand power if somebody was to resurrect the name.

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 6 of 9, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it's surely could be generic case with aftermarket frontpanel, case itself is rather old, powerbutton was originally connected straight to the psu. I modded case little bit for ATX button. So it was AT-case, correct if i'm wrong 😀

Reply 7 of 9, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the case fits your motherboard (i.e. has the rectangular opening in the back to fit the ports on your motherboard) then it's an ATX case, seeing as the AX59 Pro motherboard is an ATX motherboard. It's a nice looking case though. Quite an unusual look to it.

Reply 8 of 9, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LunarG wrote:

If the case fits your motherboard (i.e. has the rectangular opening in the back to fit the ports on your motherboard) then it's an ATX case, seeing as the AX59 Pro motherboard is an ATX motherboard. It's a nice looking case though. Quite an unusual look to it.

yes, you're absolutely right... didn't think before i wrote 😀 what i ment was that psu was old in that case. Powerbutton straight to the psu and those old power connectors to mb.