VOGONS

First post, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before saying anything else, let me just get this out of the way:
Hello! This is my first post to this site. I've been a lurker for some time, and I've finally been able to build a rig to show off.

Alright, as a bit of background, the first computer that I ever got to really use was my Mom's Pentium III @ 600 MHz. She got it in 1999 and it was basically the fastest you could buy (as far as I know) before coppermine and the Athlon came out. That system was our main computer until around 2007 (!!). As such, I never really got attached to Windows XP or the Pentium 4 generation of computers. Later on, my friend's dad gave me a PIII 450 MHz. Unfortunately, due to various circumstances (namely, I really want to kick the engineer who put a fan connector on the PSU knowing full well that some idiot would plug it into the fan connectors on the mobo), I had to give up that computer after stripping it for parts. Thus for the last few years, I've had these two mismatched PIIIs lying around gathering dust. Now I've finally done something about it!

System specs:
2x Pentium III Katmai CPUs (450 and 600 MHz)
768 MB SDRAM @ 100MHz (the motherboard doesn't support a higher FSB setting)
ATI Rage 128 (Just because they're readily available)
40 and 20 GB HDDs (only the 40 GB was installed at the time of photo capture)
SB Live!
RTL 8139 NIC of some sort.
Gigabyte GA-6BXC, or something along those lines. I have to check.
A 56k serial internet connection. Say hello to my friends, SLIP and a USB to serial adapter.
Windows 2000 Professional (Lighter than XP and still has that awesome 9x feel.)
Ubuntu Server 14.04 (Just 'cuz.)

The computer in case:
PIIIBySelf.jpg

Open case:
PIIIInCase.jpg

Closeup of the CPUs (and yes, that fan is taped on 🤣 ) :
PIIICpus.jpg

The setup before being moved to a desk big enough for my CRT monitor:
PIIIAll.jpg

And obligatory OpenArena:
PIIIObligOA.png

Now, I do have some questions for the community (not related to this specific build):

I have another computer, namely a Presario 4764. I've managed to install a K6-II@400MHz, however I'm limited by 2 things:
The motherboard only supports 80MB of RAM 😢 despite its i430vx chipset.
The motherboard only supports 66 or 60 MHz FSB.
Is there any way around these problems? I think that it would make a great early Win9x/DOS build, since the dual PIII is running Win2k.

Also, does anyone know of a PCMCIA VGA adapter that supports at least 256 colors? I happen to have a Toshiba Satellite rocking a 486@40MHz, but I can't really game on it due to its godawful graphics chip.

Last edited by meisterister on 2014-08-18, 23:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Dual Katmai Pentium III (450 and 600MHz), 512ish MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 | K6-2 400MHz / Pentium MMX 166, 80MB RAM, ~2GB Quantum Bigfoot, Awful integrated S3 graphics.

Reply 1 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could build a Windows 95 / DOS gaming PC for the late DOS games / very early 3D games with a Voodoo card (not Voodoo 2). Here 64 MB is plenty. A MMX 233 should also work well.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will just quickly comment on the P3 saying its a nice build 😀

I have a Compaq Presario 4766, which is the same model just a small localization difference (my had ISDN card, yours probably 33.6k modem). See link to build here: My Compaq Presario 4766 - DOS / Win9X machine
First off, you can install a K6-III which greatly increases performance (the + version does not work, you need the original 2.4V)! Maximum 80MB SDRAM and maximum 66mhz FSB. The integrated S3 Trio64+ card is actually very decent in DOS with great compatibility and speed. It has ESS 1888 integrated audio which works very well together with SoftMPU. It is also pretty quick in VGA in PCPBench, Quake and 3DBench compared to other Intel boards. See some benches here.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 15, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright. I just installed the K6-2 because it was there. The computer previously had a 166MMX that overclocked perfectly to 200MHz. The only reason I wanted more RAM was that 98 was swapping quite a bit more with that amount of RAM than I remember on 32MB, but I may be viewing my first actual PC with nostalgia-goggles.

Dual Katmai Pentium III (450 and 600MHz), 512ish MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 | K6-2 400MHz / Pentium MMX 166, 80MB RAM, ~2GB Quantum Bigfoot, Awful integrated S3 graphics.

Reply 4 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea Windows 95 is a lot easier on RAM and resources. And ideal for these very early games right at the transition from DOS to Windows.

There is also the issue of cache-able RAM. Many boards have a 64 MB limit so it pays off to stay with 64 MB in such cases.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 15, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't realize that the cacheable limit was that small, especially given a lot of the lovely SS7 builds in this forum. I just remember Windows 98 running way better on worse hardware, plus that computer specifically didn't come with Windows 95 in this case as I traded my old P4 for it (Good riddance!) Given that the DOS games that I'd play would be on the order of DOOM, Quake, Duke3d, SC2k, and Transport Tycoon, should I reinstall the Pentium or stay with the K6? It looks like more modern out of order architectures don't really run DOS games all that well, while in order architectures like the Pentium should.

Reply 6 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you get a AMD K6-III you don't have to worry about the cache limit as it has on-die L2 cache. I ran 80MB in my Compaq for years as I was unaware of it and I personally think the cache issue is highly overrated here on Vogons.

Quake, Duke3D likes the K6 if you're going for higher resolutions.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 15, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build. How well does the Rage128 run OpenArena?

Make sure you get some photos of your K6 build 😀

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 8 of 15, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice build. How well does the Rage128 run OpenArena?

I'd say that it runs the game pretty well. I get around 20-30 fps in 800x600 when there's a lot of action. 1024x768 is on the edge of playable. I'll see if I can post some benchmarks later, but for now I just have this Sandra benchmark:
IMG_20140729_013401.jpg
I'm happy 🤣 (this is only when sandra is allowed to run on more than one core)

Reply 10 of 15, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed I do. I love that keyboard. I managed to get it locally for something like $10 😀

Some benchmarks:
OpenArena (Very subjective and inaccurate as there are no specific numbers):
All of these values are with affinity set to the faster CPU.
640x480: Anywhere from 40 to 9 fps. Less playable than 800x600...somehow.
800x600: Idles at around 30fps, drops to 20s and 10s based on the action. In general it is very playable at this resolution.
1024x768: Idles at around 20fps, drops to the low 10s based on the action. A bit sluggish but still playable.

Sandra '99:
Affinity set to CPU 0:
CPU Benchmark -
Dhrystone 1688
Whetstone 807
Multimedia Benchmark -
MMX 1432
FPU 869
RAM Benchmark (Will not be repeated for other two settings) -
Sandra crashed. 😵
Affinity set to CPU 1:
CPU Benchmark -
Dhrystone 1698
Whetstone 590
Multimedia Benchmark -
MMX 1438
FPU 872
Affinity set to both CPUs:
CPU Benchmark -
Dhrystone 1702
Whetstone 812
Multimedia Benchmark
MMX 1434
FPU 6 ( 😕 )
Second run of Multimedia Benchmark
MMX 10
FPU 874

Reference Pentium II@450 (Should match the slowest CPU at the CPU benchmark):
CPU Benchmark -
Dhrystone 1220
Whetstone 590
Multimedia Benchmark
MMX 1130
FPU 655.

These scores certainly are weird to say the least. From these results it appears that the slower PIII is matching the faster one in all benchmarks.

Does anyone have an explanation? This is both intriguing and confusing at the same time.

Reply 11 of 15, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meisterister wrote:

These scores certainly are weird to say the least. From these results it appears that the slower PIII is matching the faster one in all benchmarks.

Does anyone have an explanation? This is both intriguing and confusing at the same time.

You're running mismatched processors, the slower 450 is holding you back. I'm surprised this runs at all. The 600 has been down-clocked to run at 450Mhz.

Slot-1 P3s are pretty cheap now, I suggest finding a matching processor for the 600Mhz or finding a pair of the fastest 100Mhz FSB P3s you can get for that board.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 12 of 15, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're running mismatched processors, the slower 450 is holding you back. I'm surprised this runs at all.

That's the weird thing. According to Intel and backed up by HP http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers … rs/td-p/2525877, the faster CPU is supposed to match the clock rate of the slower CPU. Based on these benchmarks, that clearly isn't happening. It appears that the slower CPU is actually matching the speed of the faster one. I decided to swap the processors and found that they properly defaulted to 450mhz. After switching them back, 600. The system has actually been a tad bit unstable but still usable, so the clock speeds incorrectly matching might be the cause. It looks like I just got a free PIII/600 out of this. 🤣

Reply 13 of 15, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^Are those benchmarks even multi-threaded? (Or are you just getting scores for a single 600)
Is your 450 getting overclocked (if that's even possible, since the multiplier ought to be locked)?

(Well Katmai 600 was basically a factory overclocked chip but that's another matter)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 14 of 15, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The benchmark is single threaded but as I noted, I set the processor affinity so that I could benchmark each CPU individually. I also tested with no change to the affinity setting so that windows 2000 would bounce the benchmark between the CPUs. As you can see, each core performed on par for a 600 MHz Pentium III (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=187&page=3). It does appear that in multiprocessor setups, the Pentium III has an unlocked multiplier. It would be cool to try to exploit this with an even faster CPU, but the 600 MHz Pentium is the fastest Katmai part.

Interestingly, CPUz correctly detects the two CPUs as 600 and 450mhz.

Reply 15 of 15, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to the forum. I love slot-1 builds.
Those test results do look weird, but I'm still feeling skeptical about the chance of that multiplier being able to change under any circumstances. It just seems like that would be an exploit that the motherboard manufacturers would have found ways to take advantage of.

Your test results do show matching performance for each CPU, where the performance matches whatever is the primary.
Have you confirmed that the dual processors are definitely working? I know Windows is seeing them, but I'm wondering if at the hardware level everything is actually just going to the primary CPU. That might be how the board/chipset/whatever reacts to this situation.
I'm not sure what benchmark to suggest offhand, but it might be worth verifying that you actually have the simultaneous performance throughput of two processors. I have a feeling the secondary is just sitting there, despite what Windows thinks.

meisterister wrote:

That's the weird thing. According to Intel and backed up by HP http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers … rs/td-p/2525877, the faster CPU is supposed to match the clock rate of the slower CPU.

That Compaq page says it only applies to Xeons. For P2/P3 CPUs, they still claim it can't change the speed of individual CPUs because of the multiplier lock.

The core frequency of each processor in the server is set to the frequency of the slowest processor. Switches on the system boar […]
Show full quote

The core frequency of each processor in the server is set to the
frequency of the slowest processor. Switches on the system board
(or the ROM) can be used to reset the frequency of Pentium Xeon
processors. However, Pentium III processors and Pentium II
processors are locked to the frequency ratio at which Intel intends
them to run. Since they are frequency locked, Compaq does not
support mixing of Pentium II or Pentium III processors with
different frequencies.

Your 450MHz could be unlocked, but I think that's really rare for Katmais. I think that would only happen with engineering samples.