VOGONS

First post, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So several weeks ago I was forced to go trough all my old belongings , and downscale what I had, as I am moving to a smaller house, that does not have a garage.
Not wanting to get rid of all of my computer stuff, I decided that I will build 3 computers, for the 3 generations of gaming , I enjoy, this is the second one, the first one sadly I need to still wait for parts.

I started off with the following:
At Case
Gigabyte GA-586S2 (Bios rev2.2)(IDE Controller is a bit Iffy)
Intel 200mhz MMX
128Meg 100mhz SD Ram module
S3 Virge DX (2Meg I think)
Nec PCX-2 (4Meg)
Sound Blaster 16 PNP
Planet NIC , Network Controler
17.5Gig Fujitsu HDD
48x Aopen CD Burner

After messing with this system a bit, I found its performance to be .... ..... ..... Lackluster, while perfectly stable, Quake 2 barely did 16fps, and the little Intel MMX was screaming for mercy...

And I got the Following 3D Mark 99 , score from it:
IMG_20140822_193657.jpg
Now I know what most of you are going to tell me, I am aware that the PCX-2 souldnt really be benchmarked on PC Mark 99, and I agree, but sadly its all that I had on hand.
I knew I could do better:

So after some scratching and digging , I found the needed parts I wanted to upgrade to:

1x AMD K6-2 500MHz
1x 3DFX Voodoo 1
1x Ati Rage Pro

Knowing that my motherboard was not a "Super 7" compatible board, and the highest Core Clock, it could hit was 75Mhz , I did some googling , stumbling across a website, that not only had instructions for my exact board but allso for my exact processor, claiming that the board had both a undocumented 6.0x multiplier, but also a 85Mhz Core clock, so off I went in glee, thinking I could hit 450mhz (75mhz x 6.0 ), sadly it was not the case, after two hours of fiddling the most I could hit was a mere 400Mhz (66mhz x 6.5), the board simply refuses to post if you run it one either of those two undocumented settings, none the less a 200% clock increase is more than welcome in my books!!

And gained the following result in 3DMark 99:
IMG_20140823_163303.jpg

HUGE INCREASE!!!

Sadly this is where problem 2 came into play, the Voodoo 1 while being fully detected by Windows, would refuse to initialize with anything, I bought this card for dirt cheap from Ebay, and for good reason it seems, after removing the pair of glued on heatsinks , I noticed that there was glue/water/seamen residue on the board, cleaning all of it, proved that futale, as it had eaten away, at most of solder, and as a result several pins from the GPU was just flouting around, not connected to anything, luckily I managed to reflow , that side of the board, but regret the card still did the exact same thing.

As luck would have it I had Voodoo 2 8MB , that I wanted to use in the 3rd build, that I could fit, and THIS SYSTEM IS BLAZINGLY fast now, if I select 3D Mark to use the Voodoo 2:
IMG_20140823_162636.jpg

I know that most of you aren't here for the story or the few benchmark screens, so her's the Eyecandy!!

Final Specs:
At Case
Gigabyte GA-586S2 (Bios rev2.2)(IDE Controller is a bit Iffy)
AMD K6-2 500 @400Mhz
128Meg 100mhz SD Ram module
Ati Rage Pro (4Meg I think)
Nec PCX-2 (4Meg)
Voodoo 2 8Meg
Sound Blaster 16 PNP
Planet NIC , Network Controler
17.5Gig Fujitsu HDD
48x AOpen CD Burner

IMG_20140823_165823.jpg
IMG_20140823_153652.jpg
IMG_20140823_153619.jpg
IMG_20140823_153634.jpg
IMG_20140823_153628.jpg

So my question is with both card running, well together surprisingly so infact, what is the recommended ATI Rage PRo, Driver set to run with Windows 98se, I have tried the newest version from there website, but it seems that a lot of the features like OpenGL and DirectX settings are removed from the Display Settings, Page?

Reply 3 of 3, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
idspispopd wrote:

Regarding driver for 98SE, do these infos help?
http://www.oocities.org/ziyadhosein/rprow98.htm

Exactly the kind of indepth Win9x knowledge re: drivers/performance I fear gets lost as time goes on and websites die. Thank god ArchiveTeam archived GeoCities way back when.

I wonder if Gona knows about this site discussing ATI drivers. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto