8GB of DDR1 in a socket 939 system

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 128, by jm764

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-01-26, 17:17:

Are those 2gb modules still available?
I tried to look on aliexpress and ebay, but I didn't find them.
Thanks!

Yeah I found these here, though this result turns up for all the different speeds so you'll have to find the proper matching sticks.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nk … sacat=0&_sop=15

jm764 wrote on 2016-09-08, 00:57:
Well the Micron MT36VDDF25672Y-40BF3 ram I ordered came in today and with it brought a 2GB DDR1 ram revelation with it for my As […]
Show full quote

Well the Micron MT36VDDF25672Y-40BF3 ram I ordered came in today and with it brought a 2GB DDR1 ram revelation with it for my Asus A8n-SLI Premium.

As it turns out not all "MT36" are made equal.

To be specific I got 4 modules with 2 different models and 2 similar ones.

The modules that worked were numbered "200639" and "200649" and booted with the system with no problem separately and together.

The ones that failed were both labeled "200635" and didn't boot at all with the "memory warning" beep going off once power was pushed.

Sadly I don't have a Socket 940 to test these two sticks with to make sure they aren't broken, but I'd say it's safe to assume that "200635" and lower Micron "MT36" Ram wont work with any Asus Socket 939 board at least.

I'll see what I can do with the other two sticks on an ASUS A8N-VM CSM Rev.1.01 (if it'll even take it) I have in another rig of mine.

Hope this helps, and let me know if any of you get these sticks working, it could just be my board or my sticks acting up.

Well after a few years, I tried those s "failed sticks" on a Dell Power Edge 600SC server and "lo-n-behold" they still didn't work, so it seems those sticks are actually broken as I pulled the sticks that still work in my ASUS A8N-SLI Premium mobo (which I plan to have re-capped soon) and all those sticks worked just fine (though this Dell board can only use 2 at a time) so Shamino was probably right back then about those sticks being quirky/broken so y'all can probably use them as long as they are "guaranteed to work" when you buy them. 😉

Reply 121 of 128, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jm764 wrote on 2021-09-24, 02:14:
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-01-26, 17:17:

Are those 2gb modules still available?
I tried to look on aliexpress and ebay, but I didn't find them.
Thanks!

Yeah I found these here, though this result turns up for all the different speeds so you'll have to find the proper matching sticks.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nk … sacat=0&_sop=15

Thank you very much for the link!

Reply 122 of 128, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote on 2014-09-02, 05:34:

Tried my Opteron RAM in a 939 MB, no dice. One great thing 939 boards have going for them is they can generally use high density 1GB DDR sticks the 754 systems refuse to work with (and all Intel DDR1 boards).

Since I still use XP on 939 boards or earlier 4GB of RAM (1x4gb) is more then enough for me, but the experiment was worth doing.

Never found a 1Gb Stick that would not work on 754

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 123 of 128, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I bought 2 sticks of Samsung M312L5720CZ3-CCCQ0 following the steps of agent_x007 and I can confirm that they works fine with an Asus A8N32SLI DELUXE.

I was confident to try them on my DFI NF4 Ultra-D, because I suppose we can say asus is for boy while that dfi motherboard is for men (or mad men like me), but they don't work.

I wonder why, dfi has great potentiality but on the other hand it is also finicky with rams. I tried all the slots but no joy.
Also the asus supports the ecc error correction even when paired with Athlon X2 and not only with opteron.

Reply 124 of 128, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DFI boards were designed for enthusiast memory in mind which were 512 Mb modules tops. You can't overclock Winbond chips on Asus motherboards. And 4 Gb limit is fine for desktop S939 anyway.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2022-08-02, 05:34. Edited 2 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 125 of 128, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-08-02, 05:23:

DFI boards were designed for enthusiast memory in mind which were 512 Mb modules tops. You can't overclock Winbond chips on Asus motherboards.

Well, i'm speaking about bios level, asus board has a decent amount of memory timings, I'm not using the asus to overclock, but for sure what it lacks is overvolting options compared to dfi.
I'm using the dfi with 1gb memory modules, but you are definitely right, the 512mb were the more common and premium ddr are 512 mb sticks.
I just wonder why the dfi doesn't work with the 2gb modules, while the asus does, the chipset is from the same family.

Reply 126 of 128, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From my understanding, that's the wrong question. Because only Asus provided that option, which is also limited to late 90nm CPU revision.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 127 of 128, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-08-02, 05:31:

From my understanding, that's the wrong question. Because only Asus provided that option, which is also limited to late 90nm CPU revision.

So Asus is the good exception, I didn't know.
Thanks!

Reply 128 of 128, by Nviduum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I also tried 8Gbytes of Ram on my S939 Systems.
My Asus A8R32-MVP (ATI RD580 Chipset) does recognize and utilises all of the 8Gb (4x2 Gb Samsung PC2700 ECC RDIMMs) with an Athlon 64 3200+ (Rev. E6).
Unfortunately, with my Rev. E4 x2 3800+, the System doesn't Boot at all. Even with everything at stock Settings and Hardware Memoryhole enabled. (Bit of a bummer, given that this very CPU is my FIR ST! A64 x2 I accuired in 2007).
On the other Hand, the Opteron 180 (also Rev. E6; pillaged from my Sun Ultra 20 Workstation), does work fine with all 8 Gb of RAM.

So I can confirm the Theory, that 8 Gbytes are only possible with Rev. E6 CPUs (at least for me) and furthermore, Asus also did implement the possibility of using 8Gbytes on this ATI based Board.

For the Record:
The Sun Ultra 20, which uses a Tyan Tomcat K8E S2865, nForce4 Ultra-based MoBo (or rather an OEM version of said MoBo with a Sun custom BIOS), does not boot even with a 2x2 Gb setup of the above mentioned RAM.

More details are shown in the Screenshot (taken under Windows XP x64):

A8R32 8Gbytes.JPG
Filename
A8R32 8Gbytes.JPG
File size
309.11 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

EDIT:
Rev. E4 CPUs ARE 8Gbytes capable! Or at least MY Rev. E4 X2 3800+ is. After a couple of hours of work, my setup does boot and utilises the full 8Gbytes of RAM. Same Board, same RAM.
I had to go a bit medieval on the BIOS, as AFUDOS did not update the Boot Block (IMHO AFUDOS is a terrible Tool....) After bricking the Board multiple times, I discovered, that the CMOS had some Bit Rot.
With a new CMOS and a clean CMOS flash, the Board now boots 1st try with all my CPUs.

The Result (OCed, but not optimized so far):

8Gbytes E4.JPG
Filename
8Gbytes E4.JPG
File size
273.45 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

And for the Record, the Opteron:

8Gbytes Opteron.JPG
Filename
8Gbytes Opteron.JPG
File size
145.14 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

I will pursue this topic though, some other S939 are on my Bucket List/ ordered!

Thanks to all participants of this Thread; it was extremely helpful with my own 8 Gb on S939 project.

Cheers
Nviduum