VOGONS

Matching hardware with software?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Kensuke_Aida

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Matching how? What runs best, or what is "period appropriate."

Socket 4 *and* 5 Pentiums are older than Windows 95. We ran the standard MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 combo on my P100 for a few months before Windows 95 hit the market. Some very late 486 systems came with it preinstalled too. Socket 7s came out inbetween 95 and 98, so it's a tossup, but remember that early Socket 7s would probably be running OSR 2 or 2.5. Pentium Pros were reserved for NT-based servers and workstations at the time.

Various flavors of Linux and OS/2 Warp were available, but I don't think any major manufacturer other than IBM preinstalled OS/2.

Reply 22 of 25, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Period appropriate to me, most of the time is whatever you can install on the machine, and what you want to run will still work 🤣 .
Most PC's were meant to be upgradeable after all.

Reply 23 of 25, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kensuke_Aida wrote:

Matching how? What runs best, or what is "period appropriate."

Socket 4 *and* 5 Pentiums are older than Windows 95. We ran the standard MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 combo on my P100 for a few months before Windows 95 hit the market. Some very late 486 systems came with it preinstalled too. Socket 7s came out inbetween 95 and 98, so it's a tossup, but remember that early Socket 7s would probably be running OSR 2 or 2.5. Pentium Pros were reserved for NT-based servers and workstations at the time.

Various flavors of Linux and OS/2 Warp were available, but I don't think any major manufacturer other than IBM preinstalled OS/2.

Yes such things are often neglected. There was not much Windows 95 gaming going on after it was released. It mainly started with DirectX3 to be useful which was released in Sept. 1996. Early games like Diablo were released beginning of 1997 (yeah Diablo itself on 31.12.1996). Before that the gaming platform was MS-DOS. In 1997 the hardware already entered the Pentium MMX age if you bought a new system.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 24 of 25, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kensuke_Aida wrote:

Highscreen computer from Vobis (Germany) had OS/2 preinstalled. Pretty silly since they even did this with 4MB machines. It had WinOS/2 but they boot time was pathetic. We had to ask for a Windows installation CD (WfW 3.11) which they gave us for free.

Reply 25 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me it goes somewhat along these lines (only Windows, haven't build a DOS rig in a long time 🤣) :

Windows 95 :
Anything 486 100MHz or faster with 16MB RAM or more
Windows 98SE :
Anything with 64MB RAM and a Pentium class CPU above 100MHz or so
Windows ME :
Anything with 128 MB RAM or better (usually Pentium 2ish to Tualatin)
Windows 2k/XP :
s478 or Athlon XP (usually Tualatin/Thunderbird or better) with 512MB RAM or better
Windows 7 :
Anything that requires DDR2 and/or has more then one core and more then 2GB RAM

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!