VOGONS

First post, by prsguitar123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PLEASE DON'T SAY BUILD YOUR OWN!

I KNOW you can build one cheaper....but I am wondering if this computer is one of the best pre built gaming PC's you can get for the price. ($879.99 as configured without options)

Some people do not have the skills to "bulid their own PC" so please take that into consideration.

All I am wanting to know is if there is a better per built out there for this price?

SPECS:Case:
ENERMAX Clipeus
Motherboard:
MSI H81M-E33
Memory:
8GB [8x1] 1600MHz
Processor:
Intel Core i5-4570 3.1GHz
Processor Cooling:
Stock INTEL CPU Cooling Fan with Heatsink
Hard Drive:
1TB 7200RPM SATA III Hard Drive
Hard Drive 2:
Graphics Card:
GeForce 760 2GB
Sound Card:
Onboard 3D Premium Surround Sound
Ethernet Card:
Onboard LAN Network 10/100
DVD Drive:
24X DVDRW Internal Drive
Power Supply:
500W
Operating System:
Windows 8.1 64bit
Keyboard:
Basic USB Keyboard
Mouse:
Basic USB Mouse
Warranty:
Standard Three Year Limited Warranty (3 Years Labor, 1 Year Parts and Life-Time Technical Support*)

And here is a link to the PC in question....
http://avatargamingpc.com/gaming-desktop/inte … us-i5-4576.html

Reply 1 of 12, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't comment on the overall value, since that would mean picking out the prices for every single component by hand, but it sounds solid.

i5 is about the best you can buy for a gaming PC, i7 will only be marginally faster if at all.

Don't know if the graphics card is a good choice. I suppose so.

I would _definitely_ add an SDD, even if you only can afford the 120GB one (Samsung 840 EVO is solid!). Avoid the OCZ.

16GB of RAM would be nice so you don't have to upgrade down the road, but not really necessary.

Reply 3 of 12, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds fine to me. I would go for 16 GB of RAM, 120GB SSD and Windows 7 Pro if I were you.

As if you had to have much skill to biuld a PC nowadays...

Reply 4 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, avoid 8x1GB sticks, get 4x2GB and leave the rest 4 slots for when you want to upgrade to 16gb or something

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 12, by mwenek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looked this up on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813130730
This motherboard has 2 ram slots. Seems weird they would put one 8 GB stick in there as the memory channels usually need two or four sticks for full speed operation.
Also, this is about the cheapest bunch of parts put together I have seen in a while. The board is only $48.00
Get on the forums (anandtech, arstechnica, etc.) and go with their recommendations if you must put something together.

Win98SE Box: PIII 850, 128MB, 8 GB HDD, CL Live!, ATI 9600XT, 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
DOS Box: Intel 80 Mhz P24T Socket 3 OD, 16MB, 128MB CF Drive, Number 9 VLB, SiiG VLB IDE, SoundBlaster 16 ISA/WaveBlaster

Reply 6 of 12, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

yeah, avoid 8x1GB sticks, get 4x2GB and leave the rest 4 slots for when you want to upgrade to 16gb or something

I think he means 8GB x 1 module...

Reply 7 of 12, by prsguitar123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

As if you had to have much skill to biuld a PC nowadays...[/i]

Well to YOU or someone that knows how it may not be a big deal, but it IS to someone who does not know how.

Reply 8 of 12, by prsguitar123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mwenek wrote:
Looked this up on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813130730 This motherboard has 2 ram slots. See […]
Show full quote

Looked this up on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813130730
This motherboard has 2 ram slots. Seems weird they would put one 8 GB stick in there as the memory channels usually need two or four sticks for full speed operation.
Also, this is about the cheapest bunch of parts put together I have seen in a while. The board is only $48.00
Get on the forums (anandtech, arstechnica, etc.) and go with their recommendations if you must put something together.

Well like I said...I am NOT INTERESTED in building a PC.

Reply 9 of 12, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

prsguitar123, I get it, it's just that people here are used to deal with far more complicated stuff than putting together a few pieces after which it just works... But I understand your concern. It's more about selecting the stuff than actually building it, not using troublesome components and that's it.

Reply 10 of 12, by mwenek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get it too. Sorry if I sounded snarky.
MY opinion is thus: It isn't a bad collection of parts for the price. The video card and cpu combo should ensure all current games play decently at 1080p
Let us know if you buy it and post pix of the unboxing ceremony 😀

Win98SE Box: PIII 850, 128MB, 8 GB HDD, CL Live!, ATI 9600XT, 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
DOS Box: Intel 80 Mhz P24T Socket 3 OD, 16MB, 128MB CF Drive, Number 9 VLB, SiiG VLB IDE, SoundBlaster 16 ISA/WaveBlaster