VOGONS

First post, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been working on this almost a year (searching for right old hardware, talking myself into buying expensive new hardware etc.) and finally I've got some results 😀

My PC XT "turbo" clone

• Siemens SAM 8088-2-P 10MHz
  • 640 kB RAM
  • HDD: Lo-tech ISA CompactFlash Adapter + 2GB CF card
  • Video Seven (V7) VEGA VGA 256kB
  • Sound Blaster 2.0 CT1350B
  • 3com Etherlink II (waiting for AUI/RJ45 transceiver to get computer online)

I know, it's a mess 😀
pc-xt-09.jpg

But it works!
xt-ide-hdd-checkit-e1409742826103.jpg

You can find more photos in these articles (sorry, in czech) and I also made this video with few games playable on this machine.

I would appreciate any recommendations you might have for interesting software, good looking games etc. Thanks! 😉

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 1 of 8, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is an interesting project. You may also want to try: Moonbugs, Flightmare, Jumpjet, Double Dragon, Arkanoid, Platoon, Sentinel, OutRun, Elite, Driller, Xenon, Defender/Stargate, Populous, 688 Attack Sub, Carrier Command, SimCity, Starquake, Uridium

You may want to run VGA/EGA games in CGA mode for greater speed.

And you can use NetTamer to get it on the internet.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 3 of 8, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

filipetolhuizen:
Kyrandia would struggle on 4.77MHz, but on 10Mhz it's playable. And I was as surprised as you to see it run like this! (My favorite adventure game btw. 😀 And CD-MAN? With speed set on "warp" in first in-game menu, the game actually becomes so fast it's unplayable (with CPU set on 10MHz). On the other hand, I've tried 8086 port of Wolfenstein3D, and even in a smallest possible windows it's simply too slow to play. But hey, at least it works! 😀

2fort5r:
Thanks! So far I've tried original SimCity and it runs great (except city map, which takes few seconds to render). And NetTamer is ready, as are DOS packet drivers, still waiting for AUI/RJ45 transceiver though.

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 4 of 8, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My family had a Peacock XT with V30 10MHz CPU and Hercules graphics. I remember playing games like Space Quest I-III, Leisure Suit Larry I-IV, Prehistorik, Hot Rod, F-19 Stealth Fighter, Test Drive and many more. Some with help of simcga, thank god for that 😀 I really hated the 360k drive and envied my friends who had 1.2MB floppies 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 7 of 8, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2fort5r wrote:

What was gaming on the Hercules like? Running DOSbox in Herc mode makes my eyes water...

On a proper Hercules monitor it's quite nice. Ours was amber so everything that wasn't black was yellowish/orange 😀

filipetolhuizen wrote:

Leisure Suit Larry IV???

Sorry, that's LSL3 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 8 of 8, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Grime" by Mark Elendt should be playable (may be too fast)

IIRC, it writes high scores to floppy A: and locks up if there's no disk in the drive. Either keep a blank floppy in there or overwrite the INT13 calls in the code with NOPs.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.