Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 222 of 642, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2017-12-02, 18:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 223 of 642, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Modern "cable management" is all about hiding the mess anyways. It gets pretty inconvenient when you have to pop off the other side panel whenever you need to add another cable, or one of your existing cables have to be moved. Leaving them in the main compartment is easy, convenient, and I don't think it hurts the case temperatures much either. Never have I've never seen a computer overheat because of some dangling cable.

I guess you don't have much choice but to hide your cables when modern power supplies ship with those ugly liquorice-black cables instead of the good old colour coded ones. What happened to colour coded cables?

Reply 224 of 642, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JayCeeBee64 wrote:
frisky dingo wrote:

Good lord what did I walk into? Does almost nobody here care about cable management?

If you want a museum-quality presentation then go ahead. All I want is a PC that does the job on a daily basis.

joacim wrote:

Modern "cable management" is all about hiding the mess anyways. It gets pretty inconvenient when you have to pop off the other side panel whenever you need to add another cable, or one of your existing cables have to be moved. Leaving them in the main compartment is easy, convenient, and I don't think it hurts the case temperatures much either. Never have I've never seen a computer overheat because of some dangling cable.

I guess you don't have much choice but to hide your cables when modern power supplies ship with those ugly liquorice-black cables instead of the good old colour coded ones. What happened to colour coded cables?

I think both of you forget just the sheer amount of cables that come with some of the higher-end power supplies sold today:

lepa11.jpg

I have a 1000 watt in my big i7 and it has so many cables I have to route them around the back and have no choice. If I put them inside the front side, I literally would have no room for any airflow what so ever.

Reply 225 of 642, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2017-12-02, 18:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 226 of 642, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got the time to take some pictures 😜
Specs:
i7 4790k @ 4.3 GHz (4.0 GHz stock)
EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980 4GB
16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz
MSI MPower MAX AC
And two little antennas on the top for bluetooth/wifi.

Pretty standard Stuff 😜
r8wDOFQ.jpg
XFTIeFl.jpg

Reply 227 of 642, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
joacim wrote:

Modern "cable management" is all about hiding the mess anyways.

True. I use a few cable ties, but that's about it.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 228 of 642, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Like I said, if you must do cable management then go ahead, no one will stop you. Just don't expect me to follow (since I don't really have to).

Here's my earlier post about my main PC. And here are the pics. It may not be enough for some here, but it's more than enough for me. Different strokes for different folks 😀

Whatever floats your boat.. but some of us that get in to bigger PC's with lots of parts and lots of wires, it becomes a flat out requirement to route the cables better, not an option to just leave em willy nelly hanging loose.

Reply 229 of 642, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Going to have to use your imagination a little bit until I can take proper pictures, my work area is WAY too dirty for public, but I just retired my main gaming rig.

before:
Supermicro H8dah dual socket 1207 opteron -
2x 2.8ghx 6-core cpus
16gb ddr2 ram
0Cyu9Rom.jpg

AFTER
Supermicro X8DAH Dual socket 1366 Xeon
2x 2.4 quad core 5520 xeons
16gb ram ddr3 ram
X8DAH+-f1.jpg

Looks like a downgrade, eh? But the opteron is the fastest they made, I'd have to buy a new board for faster chips, the Intel is the SLOWEST in that socket, so I have a LOT of room to grow. Believe it or not, the Intel is a good measure faster than the AMD! Here is a before and after benchmark.

Ohhof2Hm.jpg

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 230 of 642, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
Going to have to use your imagination a little bit until I can take proper pictures, my work area is WAY too dirty for public, b […]
Show full quote

Going to have to use your imagination a little bit until I can take proper pictures, my work area is WAY too dirty for public, but I just retired my main gaming rig.

before:
Supermicro H8dah dual socket 1207 opteron -
2x 2.8ghx 6-core cpus
16gb ddr2 ram

AFTER
Supermicro X8DAH Dual socket 1366 Xeon
2x 2.4 quad core 5520 xeons
16gb ram ddr3 ram

Looks like a downgrade, eh? But the opteron is the fastest they made, I'd have to buy a new board for faster chips, the Intel is the SLOWEST in that socket, so I have a LOT of room to grow. Believe it or not, the Intel is a good measure faster than the AMD! Here is a before and after benchmark.

Very nice!

I would recommend two X5677, they are just as fast as the X5690 (for gaming) but only has 4 cores and cost a fraction of the price.

Here is one "buy now" for $70

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-X5677-3-46 … =item541c37d993

And here is plenty of them for $80 each.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-X5677-3-46 … =item567441fe39

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 231 of 642, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:

Specs:

Does overclocking the CPU really help much? I noticed my i7 is practically idle in GTA5, while the GTX780 does all the work.

Reply 232 of 642, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

Specs:

Does overclocking the CPU really help much? I noticed my i7 is practically idle in GTA5, while the GTX780 does all the work.

On lower settings it uses the GPU more than the CPU, and GTA V uses all my cores also. Games like GTA IV really benefit from a OC like this. 5-10 FPS boost.

Reply 233 of 642, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
joacim wrote:

Cable management is not just about hiding the cables; it is for some people but not me. A system like the one King_Corduroy would be a pain to work as the cables are all over the place and would get in the way. That and it would also fill up with dust rather fast without any filters.
Now with old and or low power system this is not as big as a deal, but with high end and hot system is can make a differences. It's definitely important if you want to keep the system as quiet and cool as possible. The idea is to keep the cables out of the way of air flow and fans and not to bunch them up in one spot.
I build a system about every other month for fun and back when I built a x58 system I did some comparing between good cable management and bad cable management and there was a difference about 3c on the cpu and about 7c on the first gtx 480 and 5c on the second. That being all said I have never seen a PC die from bad cable management.
As for the back panel, you don’t need to run your cable behind the case. You just need to keep the cables out of the way.

Now I know what you’re thinking. Big drop in temp’s, not! 🤣 Now I admit the 3c is not much if anything. But think of this, high end gpu’s are often loud very loud and dropping temps on them allow the fans to run slower. Add that to proper fan placement and use of high end TIM along with a few other things and your system is running much cooler then the next. But I understand that not everyone uses a PC the same why I do, or has a overclocked pc with a 2 gpu's pulling about 350w and a cpu pulling about 180w.

jwt27 wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

Specs:

It depends on what he is doing. for the most part overclocking the cpu dose less then overclocking the gpu in gaming setups today. But not all games are the same.

Reply 234 of 642, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually it's been a few months and it's still completely dust free, it's just a pretty small case and those damned wrapped cables make it so hard to bend the PSU cables out of the way. The computer is actually really easy to work on and I've moved some of the cables since then, that was only the preliminary test when I first put the mobo in the case. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 235 of 642, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My place is pretty dusty but setting up PC cases positive pressured reduces dust accumulation rather dramatically -not having to routinely clean fan blades and heat sinks is nice. I check the permanent builds every 4-6 months and do a little cosmetic dusting if needed.

Also when possible I like to vent back-to-front [a few of my Lian cases are setup like this] and get slightly better temps since less warm air that would raise the local ambient temperature builds up under the work bench - front vented air rises to the ceiling and cool air stays puddled on the floor around the cases.

Last edited by tincup on 2015-05-01, 21:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 236 of 642, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Latest pic of my rig:
mainpc.jpg

i3-3420 3.4 GHz
Asus P8H67 motherboard
4x 4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
Corsair H60 cooler
Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB video card

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 237 of 642, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have mine up on my desk to sort of aid with the retro vibe but as a side effect I think it gathers WAY less dust than if it were under my desk.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 238 of 642, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

I have mine up on my desk to sort of aid with the retro vibe but as a side effect I think it gathers WAY less dust than if it were under my desk.

Yeah mine are all up on the bench too - modern and retro - and I think it makes a huge difference to general air flow and dust intake. Plus, I like to look at em!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 239 of 642, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speaking about that, I keep my computer on the floor so it fills up with dust rather quickly. A friend of mine keeps his on the desk arguing that dust is bad, but he smokes so his PC ends up swallowing loads of tar instead, which I believe is worse. 🙄

http://133FSB.wordpress.com