VOGONS

First post, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just finished my latest project...well finished for now as I have a couple of ideas planned eg; LED lighting. All parts are brand new. It's been a long time in the making due to waiting on parts and having to save a bit of cash to buy the final bits and pieces...namely the case and PSU. I really love this case as its white so I'm able to retain that retro feel whilst having the advantages that come with a modern case. Also like the fact that I can remove the side case door without removing screws from the rear of the case due to the 2 handle latches. Has a side window too! Bonus 😀

Had a bit of trouble along the way as well but with the help of my fellow Vogoners, I was able to work through everything ok. Also was a little annoyed at this board not reading correctly single sided ram so you'll notice 4 sticks of 256mb in there but it actually totals 512mb of ram. Not too fussed as I actually think it looks better having all the ram slots filled. Only things I have to work through now is getting the 2 hard drives to be recognised whilst connected to the Promise IDE controller ports as they're currently connected to the standard IDE ports and also the fact that this board supports 1gb of ram yet with 4 sticks of 256mb its showing up as 384mb....Anyone?

Oh, also had trouble getting a CPU copper Heatsink small enough to fit due to all of the capacitors surrounding the cpu socket. Originally tried a couple of different Thermaltake Volcano coolers but the heatsinks were 2 large.

Anyway, here's the specs and some pics to go with it 😀

Case: Corsair 600T White Edition
Comes with 200mm front fan, 200mm top fan and 120mm rear fan. All connected to the cases fan speed controller.
Replaced Corsair vented slots with Silverstone vented slots.
Coolermaster HAF922 5.25" to 3.5" drive bay adapters.
HP I/O shield.

PSU: Corsair GS600 2013 Edition 600watt

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-6BX7+ - 440BX Socket 370
Added a genuine Gigabyte northbridge cooler and relocated the original northbridge cooler onto the southbridge.

CPU: Pentium III 1Ghz 133Mhz 256KB SL52R

CPU Cooler: Dynatron Microfin copper heatsink with Noctua NF-A6x25 60mm fan

Ram: 4 x 256mb Kingston SDRam KVR133X64C2/256
Added Startech blue ram heatsinks.

Graphics card: Albatron 128mb Geforce 4 TI4600
Changed cooler to a Thermaltake copper GPU cooler and added copper heatsinks to the ram.

Windows sound card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum with front drive bay

Network card: Intel Pro/1000 GT

USB card: 7 Port USB 2.0 PCIUSB7

Dos Sound card: Sound Blaster CT3900 Awe32 with Yamaha DB50XG daughterboard

Hard drives: 120Gb and 80Gb IDE drives

DVD Rom drive: Sony DDU1615

Floppy drive: Sony MPF920

Zip drive: Iomega 250mb

Cables: Braided round IDE and Floppy cables

Pretty sure I've covered everything 😀

EDIT: OS: Windows 98 SE

Attachments

• Filename
    CaseFront.jpg
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Case Front
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    CaseRear.jpg
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Case Rear
    File license
  • Filename
    Inside1.jpg
    File size
    1.94 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Inside Case 1
    File license
  • Filename
    Inside2.jpg
    File size
    1.77 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Inside Case 2
    File license
  • Filename
    Inside3.jpg
    File size
    1.68 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Inside Case 3
    File license
Last edited by borgie83 on 2014-10-20, 09:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 15, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another couple of pics of the case and of my 3D Mark 2001 SE results.

Oops, forgot to put that in. Running Windows 98 SE.

Will have a look and see if I can fix those photos up. Uploaded them from my mobile phone so that may have something to do with it.

Attachments

• Filename
    Case.jpg
    File size
    1.34 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Case
    File license
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.29 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    3D Mark 2001SE
    File license
Last edited by borgie83 on 2014-10-20, 09:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 15, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think its the forum doing the squishing - the second picture in the new set does it, but when I click the "zoom" button it becomes square again. Looks nice with the window anyways, and seems to be doing a good job in 3D01 too; should do a good job with games from its era!

Reply 4 of 15, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

I think its the forum doing the squishing - the second picture in the new set does it, but when I click the "zoom" button it becomes square again. Looks nice with the window anyways, and seems to be doing a good job in 3D01 too; should do a good job with games from its era!

Yeah, it must be the forum as I checked and the photos are ok. I did take some of them in landscape as opposed to portrait so that might play a part in it. Main thing is that they open ok. Btw, thanks 😀

Reply 6 of 15, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

I think its the forum doing the squishing

No squish here. Firefox and Opera 12 in Linux.

Fab build. Not quite sure if I like that case, or if I think it looks like a dehumidifier. But I do like the way you've mixed the black and white throughout.

Reply 7 of 15, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

Very nice! We don't see builds that well done too often and it can fool people into thinking it was modern 🤣

Thanks! 😀 that was the plan. Wanted a build that looked modern whilst still retaining that retro feeling. I'm also quite fussy with everything and like everything to look as neat as possible. With this particular build, I wanted to keep with the blue theme so chose a motherboard with a blue pcb, graphics card with a blue pcb and also added the blue heatsinks to the ram. Will eventually change the 2 x 200mm fans to fans with blue LED lights as these ones currently have white LED's. Was a little hard sourcing parts as almost all 440BX boards and graphics cards from that era were green or brown. Using round braided cables also helps to keep everything clean as opposed to the old ribbon cables. Modern PSU's also come with black braided cables these days which is a plus.

Reply 8 of 15, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

I think its the forum doing the squishing

No squish here. Firefox and Opera 12 in Linux.

Fab build. Not quite sure if I like that case, or if I think it looks like a dehumidifier. But I do like the way you've mixed the black and white throughout.

Yeah, I tested the photos last night and they opened up fine. Deleted them all and uploaded them again from my PC instead of my mobile.

I had to google a "dehumidifier" 🤣 its an air conditioner! Wouldn't really say it looks like that haha

Dehumidifier.jpg

Reply 9 of 15, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd certainly say the Corsair would make a fine-looking dehumidifier, nothing econo-class about it. But, well... I guess it's those knobs along with the vents. Couldn't help but make the association.
file.php?id=15910

Attachments

• Filename
    pair.png
    File size
    305.84 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

Reply 10 of 15, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haha maybe the fan speed controller or the top panel in general so I guess you've got a point. Maybe I should buy another Corsair 600T case to use as an air conditioner. Definetly freak my gf out when I ask her to turn on the air con.

Reply 11 of 15, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
borgie83 wrote:
Just finished my latest project...well finished for now as I have a couple of ideas planned eg; LED lighting. All parts are bran […]
Show full quote

Just finished my latest project...well finished for now as I have a couple of ideas planned eg; LED lighting. All parts are brand new. It's been a long time in the making due to waiting on parts and having to save a bit of cash to buy the final bits and pieces...namely the case and PSU. I really love this case as its white so I'm able to retain that retro feel whilst having the advantages that come with a modern case. Also like the fact that I can remove the side case door without removing screws from the rear of the case due to the 2 handle latches. Has a side window too! Bonus 😀

Had a bit of trouble along the way as well but with the help of my fellow Vogoners, I was able to work through everything ok. Also was a little annoyed at this board not reading correctly single sided ram so you'll notice 4 sticks of 256mb in there but it actually totals 512mb of ram. Not too fussed as I actually think it looks better having all the ram slots filled. Only things I have to work through now is getting the 2 hard drives to be recognised whilst connected to the Promise IDE controller ports as they're currently connected to the standard IDE ports and also the fact that this board supports 1gb of ram yet with 4 sticks of 256mb its showing up as 384mb....Anyone?

Oh, also had trouble getting a CPU copper Heatsink small enough to fit due to all of the capacitors surrounding the cpu socket. Originally tried a couple of different Thermaltake Volcano coolers but the heatsinks were 2 large.

Anyway, here's the specs and some pics to go with it 😀

Case: Corsair 600T White Edition
Comes with 200mm front fan, 200mm top fan and 120mm rear fan. All connected to the cases fan speed controller.
Replaced Corsair vented slots with Silverstone vented slots.
Coolermaster HAF922 5.25" to 3.5" drive bay adapters.
HP I/O shield.

PSU: Corsair GS600 2013 Edition 600watt

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-6BX7+ - 440BX Socket 370
Added a genuine Gigabyte northbridge cooler and relocated the original northbridge cooler onto the southbridge.

CPU: Pentium III 1Ghz 133Mhz 256KB SL52R

CPU Cooler: Dynatron Microfin copper heatsink with Noctua NF-A6x25 60mm fan

Ram: 4 x 256mb Kingston SDRam KVR133X64C2/256
Added Startech blue ram heatsinks.

Graphics card: Albatron 128mb Geforce 4 TI4600
Changed cooler to a Thermaltake copper GPU cooler and added copper heatsinks to the ram.

Windows sound card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum with front drive bay

Network card: Intel Pro/1000 GT

USB card: 7 Port USB 2.0 PCIUSB7

Dos Sound card: Sound Blaster CT3900 Awe32 with Yamaha DB50XG daughterboard

Hard drives: 120Gb and 80Gb IDE drives

DVD Rom drive: Sony DDU1615

Floppy drive: Sony MPF920

Zip drive: Iomega 250mb

Cables: Braided round IDE and Floppy cables

Pretty sure I've covered everything 😀

EDIT: OS: Windows 98 SE

Love the mix of old and new hardware! Did you have any issues installing the RAM heatsinks? Thinking about buying some copper ones (or Arctic Cooling RC heatsinks if I can find them cheap because I love the way they look) for an upcoming build of mine, only for aesthetics of course 😎

Reply 12 of 15, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaDangerDen wrote:

Love the mix of old and new hardware! Did you have any issues installing the RAM heatsinks? Thinking about buying some copper ones (or Arctic Cooling RC heatsinks if I can find them cheap because I love the way they look) for an upcoming build of mine, only for aesthetics of course 😎

No issues installing the ram heatsinks. Quite easy but you do have to be a little careful when doing this as if the heatsink is slightly off centre, the ram may not sit flush in the motherboard ram slots.

I use the copper ones in my other board. Ram doesn't get hot at all so as you said, they're purely for looks. Look much better than the standard green modules. An attractive PC is a happy PC I say! 😀

EDIT: Had a look at those Artic RC Ram Heatsinks. They look awesome but make sure you have the clearance above the ram before purchasing them.

Reply 13 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You've got the same idea as me 😀 So I like a lot!
I' went for the Obsidian 650D case but going for a green theme because as you said PCB's were mostly green and it looks nice all matching. Was a bit annoyed as I got the same blue Gforce card but got a Zalman VNF100 and will make a highlight of it.
Needed a slightly larger tower to fit Floppy, CD, Audigy ZS front panel and fan controller, just needs putting all together. Main reason for the window is to see the Voodoo 2 SLI sexiness.
I like the drive bay converters, I've just got cheap plastic ones which don't look that bad with the Gotek floppy emulator but don't fit the case's tooless mounting system.
Sadly I've got all the parts but the whole project is on hold till I move.

Reply 14 of 15, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
You've got the same idea as me :) So I like a lot! I' went for the Obsidian 650D case but going for a green theme because as you […]
Show full quote

You've got the same idea as me 😀 So I like a lot!
I' went for the Obsidian 650D case but going for a green theme because as you said PCB's were mostly green and it looks nice all matching. Was a bit annoyed as I got the same blue Gforce card but got a Zalman VNF100 and will make a highlight of it.
Needed a slightly larger tower to fit Floppy, CD, Audigy ZS front panel and fan controller, just needs putting all together. Main reason for the window is to see the Voodoo 2 SLI sexiness.
I like the drive bay converters, I've just got cheap plastic ones which don't look that bad with the Gotek floppy emulator but don't fit the case's tooless mounting system.
Sadly I've got all the parts but the whole project is on hold till I move.

Nice case! Very clean and has a side window. Black also goes well with green PCB's. Regarding your choice of the VNF100, that's a passive cooler which I also own. I considered using it as well on my Geforce 4 but was a little worried about the card getting too hot. My drive bay converters probably wouldn't suit your case anyway. Have a look at these silverstone aluminium ones. I've always found silverstone hardware to be of top quality and they always look great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0040JHMIU/ref= … X110_SY165_QL70

What board+cpu are you going to be using?

Reply 15 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh that bay converter will probably look better, I'll miss the cool looking vents on the side but as nothing up the top has them either it would look out of place.
I'm going to move the insides of this PC Dell makes surprisingly good retro PC's into the case. Sadly the Dell case is 1 bay short (and I cant see inside)

I'm alittle worried about the passive heatsink as well, I'm hoping a well ventilated case will make up for it. That's the main reason for the fan controller, keep an eye on the temperature of everything more then controlling fans.