VOGONS

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally threw some pix together of my "Time Machine" build that lets me rock both DOS and Windows 98 games. It's currently running in "Windows 98/DOS 7.1" mode using the hot-swap WD 2.5" drive, but I also have two CF cards ready to roll for pure DOS mode - one for DOS 6.22 and one for DOS 7.1 - bootable using the PCI RAID card.

Case: Gigabyte GZ-X7 Black SECC ATX Mid Case No PSU
Power Supply: Corsair CX500 Power Supply
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-5AX Super Socket 7 Rev. 5.2 Motherboard w/ I/O Shield
Processor: AMD K6 III+ 400 ATZ 1.6V Super Socket 7
Cooling: Foxconn AMD Super Socket 7/Celeron PPGA CPU Cooler, Fan with Heatsink, 3-pin,OEM

Drive Bay Misc:
StarTech.com 3.5in SATA to CompactFlash Bay
3.5" to 5.25" Drive Bay Adapter
Removable Rack Tray for Hard Disk SATA 2.5" & 3.5" with off / on Button
PCI to 2 SATA RAID Silicon Image Sil3112 3112 Card Adapter Converter

Storage:
2 x Transcend 32GB 400x TS32GCF400 Compact Flash Memory Card
80GB Western Digital Scorpio WD800BEVT 2.5" SATA
Samsung TS-H492C 52x32x52 CD-RW/16x DVD-ROM IDE Drive (Black)
New Black 5V DC USB 1.44MB Floppy Drive LCD Emulator + 3pcs Screw For Machine

Memory:
2 x 16 MB 168 PIN EDO DIMM 3.3V 60NS : 0126-004-RL

Audio:
Ensoniq SoundScape ISA Retail (2MB ROM)
Creative AWE64 Gold ISA

Video:
2 x Diamond Monster 3D II (12MB) in SLI for Glide Support
RIVA TNT2 Ultra 32MB AGP for Direct3D Support

TR0koK.jpg
NMItBv.jpg
w2EkO0.jpg
Nveoo9.jpg
XEGgn1.jpg
DfhoI7.jpg
w0WQ9W.jpg
s67RKy.jpg
hInow7.jpg

Last edited by Artex on 2014-11-01, 16:53. Edited 1 time in total.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 1 of 32, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice build - clean and tidy , needs more Roland though: shouldn't be a problem for you Artex 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 32, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

nice build - clean and tidy , needs more Roland though: shouldn't be a problem for you Artex 😁

Are your ears ringing? 😀
(Cough)
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4 of 32, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Artex
it's the Roland call, I heard it beyond the ocean 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 32, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Very nice machine 😀

That hard drive bay interest me. Who makes it?

Here you go Phil! I thought you already had one of these..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181270184720

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 6 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

Very nice machine 😀

That hard drive bay interest me. Who makes it?

Here you go Phil! I thought you already had one of these..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181270184720

Thanks! Ordered one. Great price I must say.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 32, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks all! I'll be posting one of my builds each week for the next several weeks! This will allow me to clean them up, take some pics and get everything documented for my own inventory.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9 of 32, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really nice build! I especially like the case and the add-ons like that CF card reader and HDD tray. Do you boot off of it? Is there an IDE version? Too bad the seller doesn't post to my country. That's a first for a chinese seller... usually these guys ship worldwide. On another note, where'd you get the CF card reader?

What are you gonna use it for? To fill in a specific niche like between 486 and socket 370?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 10 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes there is an IDE version.

Check StarTech.com, they have all sorts of gadgets like these.

Reply 11 of 32, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the compliments! I am able to boot off the CF Reader as well as the HDD tray. As Phil said, there is all kinds of this stuff out there, and StarTech seems to make the most of these items. I got the SATA (and IDE) versions of the CF 3.5" bay unit from eBay as well.

Right now the system is configured for Win98 use. I boot from the 2.5" drive which is partitioned into two separate drives - one for my ripped media .ISOs and the other (C:) for installing the games. I have my Windows games in a C:\Games\Windows folder and the pure DOS (well, DOS 7.1) games in C:\Games\DOS. I found that the 2.5" spindle drive behaves MUCH better than the CF cards...

On the DOS 6.22 front, I can boot the CF card (using the bay) into pure DOS mode for the old-school games. The card is partitioned with a single 2GB partition. I also have a DOS 7.1 card formatted with a single 8GB FAT32 partition for some of the larger games.

On my main (non-retro) PC, I slaved all of these drives and created images using Paragon Backup and Recovery. That way, I can easily create 'ready to roll' copies of each of these cards/hard drives on the fly. So far this setup hasn't let me down!

I really do owe this setup to Phil and all of the homework he's done for me (well, all of us really). I just tweaked things here and there to my liking, but the basic idea was all his! It's nice that I can play with the L1 and L2 caches to slow things down to low-486 speeds or crank things up to full K6 III+ glory for the games that need the horsepower.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 12 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a nice build and a nice read, cheers! 😀

Also nice to see someone use a TNT2 non-M64 and your build also seems well thought out 😀
Looks clean, good parts (I like the GA-5AX though I have an older revision), looking forward to your next builds! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 32, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

That's a nice build and a nice read, cheers! 😀

Also nice to see someone use a TNT2 non-M64 and your build also seems well thought out 😀
Looks clean, good parts (I like the GA-5AX though I have an older revision), looking forward to your next builds! 😁

Excellent! I should enough material for a while. I plan on sharing the next build this weekend! Stay thirsty my friends. 😀

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 14 of 32, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice build! 😁

I always feel strange when seeing these ooold hardware with their 5cm fans compared to brand new black chassis and 12cm fans 😜

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 15 of 32, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

StarTech.com has a lot of ridiculously overpriced stuff. You can often buy the exact same product for less than half the price from chinese sellers 😉

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 16 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:

StarTech.com has a lot of ridiculously overpriced stuff. You can often buy the exact same product for less than half the price from chinese sellers 😉

Yes, but not all of their products which is a pain. I could not find a cheap front bay CF reader.

Reply 18 of 32, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the idea of having a 2.5" drive that can easily be removed and plug'ed in for .ISO files. I transfer all these on the network today, but its a hassle.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes