VOGONS

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alrighty folks... As promised, I threw together another build for your viewing pleasure. A wave of nostalgia smacked me in the face again, so I thought I'd go back to 1997 and share a build very near and dear to me.

First.. a little background..

My parents purchased our first home PC in 1992 - a Packard Bell Legend 386SX-16Mhz with 30MB (!!) hard drive and 2MB of RAM. I couldn't do much on here except dial some BBS's, play Stunts and some other pretty simplistic games (DOOM didn't run on 2MB!!). From there, after seeing my first Pentium 60 system owned by a family for whom I baby-sat, I purchased my own PC in 1995 from Gateway 2000 - a P5-75Mhz Pentium tower. At some point I added a Pentium 75 -> 120Mhz overdrive chip in there to give it a little boost, and then added an Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo card in there in late 1996. In mid-to-late 1997 during my senior year of high school (dating myself a bit), I got the itch to build my first PC so I could finally retire my OEM box. I knew I would need something with a little more juice for my freshman year of college as well. So I saved up some coin from my job at Milwaukee PC and put my first build together!

I think this is pretty close, but I did change some things here. First, I never had a Roland SCC-1A or the SIMMConn expansion card. I used an Ensoniq SoundScape (Gateway 2000 OEM) for General Midi but this card is in use in my Time Machine right now. I believe I had a massive InWin Q500 full tower back then too, but I couldn't source one of these. I think I had a plextor CD drive and not a DVD drive, but my OS install disc is a DVD so.... Finally, I probably had 64MB instead 128MB and most likely a smaller hard drive, but this is close enough for my purposes.

Case: Enlight EN-7101 Case (3-bay)
Power Supply: Enlight HPC250-G2 250W
Motherboard: Asus SP97-V (SiS 5597 + 5595) Rev. 1.02 with 1.09v-5 Patch J.2 05/27/2002 BIOS
Processor: Intel Pentium 200 w/MMX (P55C)
Cooling: Foxconn Socket 7 CPU Cooler

Storage:
Western Digital 40GB Hard Drive (WD40)
3.5" Floppy Drive
Toshiba SD-M1402 DVD-ROM

Memory:
128MB EDO RAM

Audio:
Roland SCC-1A ISA
Creative CT4540 (AWE64 Gold) ISA with SIMMConn 32MB Expansion Card

Video:
Orchid Righteous 3D 4MB PCI (3DFX Voodoo)
Matrox Millenium II 8MB PCI

Onto the hardware Pr0n! 😊

The case badge adds a few more Mhz, almost like those giant wings you see on the back of crappy cars 😀
8Yrtbj.jpg
cdxlKJ.jpg

I really need an I/O Shield..
qolwab.jpg
zjZwLG.jpg

AWE64 Golden Goddess
yVoHi4.jpg
4pntXT.jpg
t9Ixyw.jpg
0ylzKx.jpg
114Ogo.jpg

MOAR ROLAND! Don't see too many of the 1"A" varieties around...
2rGMap.jpg

Mmmm... VOODOO! I forgot how loud that mechanical relay "CLICK" is!
L3Yj3H.jpg
WqhO8w.jpg
rJSfvD.jpg
bM6zAF.jpg
rhGCgW.jpg

Good old Matrox for 2D
7W6cbE.jpg
yQhHXM.jpg

A few classics..

MDK is still one of my alltime favs. With a little blurry bilinear filtering it's SOO much better! 😀
SKW0Pu.jpg
t2p9ff.jpg

Monster Truck Madness! I forgot how terrible the music is in this game - thank God the gameplay makes up for it. "He's doing it... in the air!" Dialog gets an F - too.
46xwcz.jpg
1gNF4Y.jpg

Last edited by Artex on 2014-11-02, 12:51. Edited 1 time in total.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 1 of 13, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wawawewa! Very nice!

The case looks like its brand new!

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 13, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't someone with a 3D printer make some AT backplates for ATX cases? I would buy! I suppose Artex would too 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 13, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well there's always this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blende-I-O-Shield-uni … =item19f59c1b80

A while ago somebody on ebay.co.uk was selling a whole bunch of I/O shields with just one hole for the DIN keyboard connector.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 5 of 13, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Beautiful build Artex. It really shines! 😎

Makes me wish I still had my old Shuttle HOT-569 board (Damn you old, feeble pine tree! Damn you for taking most of my late 90's PC stuff! 😠 ). And MDK does look really good on Voodoo cards; Monster Truck Madness is not one of my favorites however, Midtown Madness is more my style - running around like a loose cannon is a personal dream of mine 😁

Artex wrote:
I really need an I/O Shield.. http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/661/qolwab.jpg […]
Show full quote

I really need an I/O Shield..
qolwab.jpg

Nah, it looks just fine to me. Think of the holes as extra cooling vents 😉

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 6 of 13, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

Well there's always this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blende-I-O-Shield-uni … =item19f59c1b80

A while ago somebody on ebay.co.uk was selling a whole bunch of I/O shields with just one hole for the DIN keyboard connector.

Yeah, this is exactly it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AT-motherboard-I-O- … =p2047675.l2557

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice looking, and its nice to see one of those cases that hasn't been painted or otherwise adulterated (I have one that was painted (very poorly I might add; not my doing) black on the front, and hulk green on the inside (and its all peeling and awful - I use it as a workbench since the MB tray comes out and fits almost anything (ATX, mATX, AT, etc)). I have a similar Toshiba DVD drive - sluggish, but it isn't super-duper loud; I dig it.

Also, did you mean 1996 for the Voodoo upgrade?

Reply 11 of 13, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

How does this build compare to the K6-III+ build from last week? They seem very much alike 😀

Completely different beasts but they serve different purposes. With this one I'm locked into a much smaller time period for the games I want to play - pretty much limited by the 200Mhz processor & 4MB accelerator. With the mobile K6 III+ I can scale all the way down to low 486 speeds or boost up to 500+ Mhz speeds for newer games, similar performance to a Pentium 3. In addition, the 2 x 12MB Voodoo2s in the Time Machine would smoke a single 4MB Voodoo1 for Glide, and the Time Machine also has a TNT2 ultra for discrete D3D support.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 13 of 13, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nahkri wrote:

Where did u get that ps/2,usb combo backplate,it came with the motherboard?

Yep, as well as a video cable to make use of the included on-board video (for which I have no need).

LihnlZ.jpg