VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made a post about my Duel Tully system awhile back and unfortunately it was kind of a system for me that had no purpose and just sort of sat around. After reading Phil's post about Splinter Cell and how for the optimal results with the game you needed a pretty specific setup I decided to rebuild this PC around a Splinter Cell theme. start with the specs

Windows XP
Tyan S2507T motherboard (not the greatest but its the only Tualatin board I have)
duel 1.4GHZ PIII Tualatin CPU's
1.5GB PC133 SDRAM
38GB 15,000RPM SCSI HDD
Adaptec AHA-2940W
Geforce ti4600
Audigy 2 ZS
generic Ethernet card
generic USB card to give 4 USB ports

I kind of went crazy with the fan cooling. in all this case has 10 fans (2xcpu fans, 2x case fans, 1xpsu fan, 1x slot fan, 1x gpu fan, 3x hdd cooler fans). Despite that its really not all that noisy. I wanted to go with a green light theme cause that's the color I think of with Splinter Cell and I thought the three fan cooler was kinda awesome with the green light coming out of it because it kind of mimics the night vision goggles. The case itself doesn't lend itself to the lights but in the end it kind of works being more subtle since SC is a stealth game so a more bright setup probably wouldn't of worked as well for the theme.

100_8444_zps022a0697.jpg

as usual, not the best with cable management.
100_8402_zps7ae05515.jpg

100_8433_zps94d967db.jpg

100_8435_zps37b1d288.jpg

100_8439_zps24fbd520.jpg

Reply 2 of 9, by Automat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, thats indeed very cool. I like dual Tualatin rigs, the green suits the topic of Splinter Cell and the two PIII sticker are cool.
Investing 15 minutes for working on cable management would be nice.
Are there already some benchmark results?

You know these adapters?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/140912541734?_trksid=p … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Reply 5 of 9, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XP SP3. I know, I know SP3 slows things down and its a bloated update but honestly I never detected to much of a difference. as for the noise level...well, its quieter then one would suspect from a system with 10 fans, I thought the SCSI drive was going to be loud since it was 15,000rpm's but honestly after it spins up it isn't really. Overall I think its louder then your average PC but I've worked with plenty of older PC's that were by and far louder machines.

Last edited by soviet conscript on 2014-11-20, 09:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I might test out SP3 after I'm done with my Pandora Tomorrow investigation to see if it makes much of a difference 😀

But SP2 doesn't give me any issues.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 9, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

Awesome! One thing I would do to complete the look is paint the case dark grey!

That's a good idea, I considered doing that at one point. either dark grey or black but I would probably screw the job up.

Reply 9 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never had issues with SP3 either, but tend not to install it anymore because it's extra time (I don't have an XP3 disc; only SP1 and 2, so I just go with 2 and live with it since the thing is never going online); I've read some folks say it really kills performance, but it's nothing I've ever observed first-hand.

I agree on painting it grey/black, like the game's case.