VOGONS

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I struggled a bit on deciding what year to go with for this week's build. If I would follow suit, I really should do a 1999 build and that was my original thought. However, I already had a system sitting pretty with a PIII 1Ghz Coppermine (eb) chip tucked under a beautiful Thermaltake Golden Orb dropped into an Asus CUSL2 motherboard.

1999 was a kind of a mixed bag year in terms of hardware. There were the early-1999 SECC2/SLOT1 Katmai's and the later-1999 FC-PGA/SOCKET 370 Coppermines. Back in the day I remember having P3-500, P3-700, P3-700 (e), P3-1Ghz (e) and then jumped to a P3-1Ghz (eb) Coppermine back in 2000. Since the Katmai's were similar to the earlier "Deschutes" SLOT1 Pentium II chips, I decided to go with the Y2K-released Coppermine for this build since the architecture is different enough from my previous Pentium II SLOT1 build, especially when considering the form-factor change and the added on-chip L2 cache.

On the video card front in 1999, there was the awesome NVIDIA Riva TNT2/TNT2 Ultra (I had a 32MB Creative Card back then) but then they also released the first "GPU" - the Geforce 256 SDR/DDR cards. While the SDR cards weren't much better than the TNT2 Ultra's, the DDR cards really provided a much better gaming experience. Unfortunately, my DDR-based Geforce 256 card looks to be on its last leg, probably because the fan is shot on it.

So I said "Eff it" and skipped right to Y2K, a landmark year for all the doomsday preppers, and a landmark year for computing & computer hardware in general. NVIDIA released their NV15 series, which smoked the Geforce 256. The "Ultra" version of the Geforce 2 was released in September of 2000, and this is the card I used for the build below. The Radeon DDR (R100) was also released in this year, but the Geforce2 cards typically rocked the Radeon in 16-bit color benchmarks, and still had somewhat of a performance advantage in 32-bit color as well.

On the audio side of things, PCI cards were all the rage so I decided to throw in a Turtle Beach Montego II with the "Quadzilla" Digital Out card hooked up as well. I still may throw a GM daughterboard on it as well. I could have went with a Sound Blaster Live!, but why not mix it up a bit right?!

Case: Enlight Enlight EN-7237 (4-Bay)
Power Supply: Enlight HPC250-G2 250W
Motherboard: Asus CUSL2 1.02 (Intel i815E) (BIOS 1.09)
Processor: Intel Pentium III 1Ghz (Coppermine, EB) (Socket 370)
Cooling: Thermaltake Golden Orb Fan & Heatsink

Network: 3Com 3C905B-TX

Misc: USB 2.0 PCI Interface Card

Storage:
Western Digital Special Edition 120GB Hard Drive (WD1200JB)
3.5" Floppy Drive
Plextor 8/4/32A CD Burner

Memory:
1x256MB PC133 6NS 3.3V NON ECC SDRAM

Audio:
Turtle Beach Montego 2 "Quadzilla"

Video:
NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra - VisionTek NV886-0 Rev. A with S-Video 64MB AGP (NV15) (2000)

Onto the hardware Pr0n!

More wonderful beige (with a slightly yellowed burner) 😜

b1UgnQ.jpg
nJITMt.jpg
ChdhY1.jpg

The GUTS!

KzAz58.jpg

Asus CUSL2 1.02 (Intel i815E) (BIOS 1.09)

juINsN.jpg

So GOLDEN...and...so.. ORBY..? 😎

33T2bX.jpg

Good ole' Plextor quality

F5sNEl.jpg

Humming along at 1Ghz

RoZ7vn.jpg

Turtle Beach Montego 2 "Quadzilla"

ddHOnv.jpg
BagqgJ.jpg

NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra - VisionTek NV886-0 Rev. A with S-Video 64MB AGP (NV15) (2000)

bN2Apx.jpg
GxUkIr.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 1 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks really nice, as I've come to expect from a build coming from your hands 😜
Nice pics again, how's your system running things? 😀

And how loud are those orbs, I have a couple myself and I always found them a bit odd (theres proly a reason such design HSF's aren't made anymore? )

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 20, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Looks really nice, as I've come to expect from a build coming from your hands 😜
Nice pics again, how's your system running things? 😀

And how loud are those orbs, I have a couple myself and I always found them a bit odd (theres proly a reason such design HSF's aren't made anymore? )

Thanks! The system is really snappy, especially with the 8MB cache "special" edition WD drive. Win98 just flies! The orb isn't too loud - the hard drive whine is definitely louder.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4 of 20, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool! I remember I had a Pentium 233 MXX in August 2000 when I moved into my student room with Eizo 20" CRT. I upgraded to a Pentium III 800 in December 2000 I believe. Unreal Tournament ran like a charm. I then replaced it with a Pentium IV in 2003 to be able to play C&C Generals.

Reply 5 of 20, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Giants is a great game to run on that kind of machine. especially on that GF2 Ultra. Though I will say Giants is a pretty CPU intensive game as well.

for whatever reason I haven't been able to find any GF2 Ultra cards , same with GF3 Ti500. Ive been looking for one but they just don't seem to appear on Ebay very often.

Reply 6 of 20, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice build as always!

Darkman wrote:

Giants is a great game to run on that kind of machine. especially on that GF2 Ultra. Though I will say Giants is a pretty CPU intensive game as well.

for whatever reason I haven't been able to find any GF2 Ultra cards , same with GF3 Ti500. Ive been looking for one but they just don't seem to appear on Ebay very often.

Perhaps its easier to find a Quadro 2 Elsa Gloria III, its exactly the same card but with lower clocked memory by default.
Im pretty sure you can flash it with the GF2 Ultra bios and no one will be able to tell the difference.
The memory can handle the speed in any case, I use rivatuner to boost the clocks as I see no real reason to flash my card.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7 of 20, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
Nice build as always! […]
Show full quote

Nice build as always!

Darkman wrote:

Perhaps its easier to find a Quadro 2 Elsa Gloria III, its exactly the same card but with lower clocked memory by default.
Im pretty sure you can flash it with the GF2 Ultra bios and no one will be able to tell the difference.
The memory can handle the speed in any case, I use rivatuner to boost the clocks as I see no real reason to flash my card.

I actually do have a Geforce2 Ti (has the GPU speed of the ultra, but the memory clock of the Pro), and its decent, but the RAM will not stay stable if I try to overclock it to GF2Ultra memory speeds.

in fact I think in terms of clock speeds the Quadro2 and GF2Ti are indentical (though I suspect the Quadro would have better image quality)

Reply 8 of 20, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Darkman wrote:

I actually do have a Geforce2 Ti (has the GPU speed of the ultra, but the memory clock of the Pro), and its decent, but the RAM will not stay stable if I try to overclock it to GF2Ultra memory speeds.

in fact I think in terms of clock speeds the Quadro2 and GF2Ti are indentical (though I suspect the Quadro would have better image quality)

Here is an image of the Elsa Gloria III for comparison. My card is missing the tv-out addon but many Gloria III have it.
The DVI is nice to have and the card overclocks to 300 MHz Core and 550 Mhz memory 😀

NvidiaQuadro2Pro.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 9 of 20, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

like I said it has the exact same specs as the GF2TI , but I think the Quadro might have higher quality parts which would allow for a better overclock.

it also looks almost identical the Ti

Reply 11 of 20, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sgt76 wrote:

Really nice build. One question- where do you get your seemingly endless supply of beige Enlight cases from?

Thanks! Lol - I was fortunate to find a somewhat local guy who had 4 of these back in 2012. Then I acquired a few more over the years off eBay. All are in really excellent shape with no damage during transport, and they even have the original power supply in most cases. I did, however, just pick up a couple of new CX430M (on sale at NewEgg through today!) power supplies and plan on swapping out a few of these older Enlight supplies.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 16 of 20, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
One of my favs! […]
Show full quote

One of my favs!

rj5hAU.png

which game is this Artex?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 18 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh I remember the game - one of my favs as well. Really taxing on hardware. Great build Artex!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 19 of 20, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hehe inside looks clean... from that foreshortening(j/k)

Artex wrote:

So GOLDEN...and...so.. ORBY..? 😎

I used one of those on Athlon XP but mine was Chrome Orb... what can i say is LOUD,but ye they actually fine with cooling.
You like TT HSF or something? 🤣

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png